Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The only thing keeping me from upgrading to a newer Tesla is that we can't transfer FSD, anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not my understanding. FSD stays with the car UNLESS the car is returned to Tesla, in which case they remove FSD before re-selling or sending the car to auction.
So doesn't this explicitly prove the OP's point? LOL, some posters on this forum are so funny. "It's a FEATURE OF THE CAR LIKE THE COLOR AND SEATS AND SUNROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (unless Tesla resells it in which case they take it off just like they change its color and remove the sunroof and change the seats to cloth)" - Forum Posters

Last edited:
Reactions: Canyonero
Pretty sure OP wanted to transfer his FSD from one car to another one. This question was about selling the car I believe, in which case FSD stays with the car.
Sure. Not coming at you for your comment. Just making the point that all of these people screaming that it's a feature of the car are obviously confused/misunderstanding, and Tesla could very easily make FSD an account level feature instead of a VIN level feature. If they can remove it when it comes back to them, it's only an artificial restriction that it's currently VIN level only.

Reactions: ATPMSD
This is not my understanding. FSD stays with the car UNLESS the car is returned to Tesla, in which case they remove FSD before re-selling or sending the car to auction.
Pretty accurate: Typical examples:

Assuming FSD purchased:

Private seller to Private buyer, FSD stays with car
Private seller to Local dealer, FSD stays with car, even is dealer resells to another private buyer.
Private seller to Tesla, FSD may or may not be removed from car for Tesla resale.
Private seller to Tesla, Tesla sends car to Auction, FSD is removed.
Local dealer gets car from Auction, FSD is removed. (Note there are cases reported where FSD shows in ABOUT screen at the sale to new buyer but then Tesla removes it later during new owner account set up, or shortly thereafter)

Key question is, did car ever pass to Tesla and/or auction? If either of these cases are true, there is a high risk of FSD removal at some point.
Carfax will typically show Auction in history, its worth getting the Carfax if buying from a dealer. And getting a dealer written statement dea;er will refund $x if FSD is removed.

If car never went back to Tesla or Auction, FSD will keep transferring.

Bro. That’s any car company.

It’s not personal, it’s just business.

Absolutely - the legacy OEMs just give the dealers trunk money and then you see the ads. “What are you doing there when you should be here - this week only $10,000 off and 0% financing”. The lamestream media now has segments showing upset Tesla customers complaining about the recent price cuts but you won’t see segments with customers complaining that the Dodge Ram they just bought now has a huge rebate. Just like any Tesla fire is breaking news but any gas car fire isn’t.

Pretty accurate: Typical examples:

Assuming FSD purchased:

Private seller to Private buyer, FSD stays with car
Private seller to Local dealer, FSD stays with car, even is dealer resells to another private buyer.
Private seller to Tesla, FSD may or may not be removed from car for Tesla resale.
Private seller to Tesla, Tesla sends car to Auction, FSD is removed.
Local dealer gets car from Auction, FSD is removed. (Note there are cases reported where FSD shows in ABOUT screen at the sale to new buyer but then Tesla removes it later during new owner account set up, or shortly thereafter)

Key question is, did car ever pass to Tesla and/or auction? If either of these cases are true, there is a high risk of FSD removal at some point.
Carfax will typically show Auction in history, its worth getting the Carfax if buying from a dealer. And getting a dealer written statement dea;er will refund $x if FSD is removed.

In theory if original buyer bought FSD, decides to sell car, then eventually buys exact car from dealer after Tesla auction, they'd have to pay for FSD twice on the same car.

I wonder if there's an example of this ever happening? Would be interesting to hear Tesla explain why it's removed.

So Tesla either charging one person for FSD multiple times on the same vehicle.....

Or there could be a potential for prior FSD owners to buy old vehicle they used to own to get FSD back for free.

Probably only would ever make sense if FSD becomes legit and super valuable someday. Let's say it becomes worth 20k addition to trade in value. Prior FSD owners go find their old vehicle for sale that had FSD removed, buy it, then sell it for 20k profit.

Do I think any of this is likely? No. But it does show how different this feature is from "leather seats"

Absolutely - the legacy OEMs just give the dealers trunk money and then you see the ads. “What are you doing there when you should be here - this week only $10,000 off and 0% financing”. The lamestream media now has segments showing upset Tesla customers complaining about the recent price cuts but you won’t see segments with customers complaining that the Dodge Ram they just bought now has a huge rebate. Just like any Tesla fire is breaking news but any gas car fire isn’t.
The financial result to people is the same.

All these upset people just shows how much more willing and unwilling people are to have the same financial action happen to them if it's "sold" or marketed to them the right way.

Reactions: electricar
So, the situation is that a paid-for FSD (currently $15K) will be removed if Tesla finds out it changed owners? That is still messed up.

If an owner paid for it, it should be transferred to the owner’s new Tesla or stay with the original car indefinitely. Anything else is Tesla double-dipping for $$$.

So, the situation is that a paid-for FSD (currently $15K) will be removed if Tesla finds out it changed owners? That is still messed up.
No, read the whole comment carefully. It only gets removed if the car goes through Tesla's hands.
If an owner paid for it, it should be transferred to the owner’s new Tesla or stay with the original car indefinitely. Anything else is Tesla double-dipping for $$$.
It stays with the original car, unless it gets into Tesla's hands. After it is in Tesla's hands, sometimes Tesla may remove the FSD in order to sell the car for cheaper (like at an auction for example). When it is in Tesla's hands they have every right to change it (just like you can in a used car, for example if the car came with some nice rims, you can part it out and swap in cheaper ones). If it never passed through Tesla's hands, it'll stick to the car.

As for transferring with the owner, I don't know where that expectation comes from. All car options stay with the car (and FSD is just an option). The closest thing is the subscription if you want to have it in your next car.

Anyone else in the same boat? I have FSD on my 2020 Model 3 and I would be cool with upgrading but they need to let us transfer our FSD to a new car otherwise I'll mainly be looking at other brands or who knows.
My feeling is that, despite naysayers, as FSD gets toward being fully functional (not complete, it will always be evolving), FSD will add some $$ to the resale value (given that it currently costs $14k new). However, the window will be tight since sometime in the next 12-18 months I suspect we will see HW4.

No this is not, nor has it ever been the case. Just like hardware options, the software options stay with the car forever. If Tesla happen at some point to take OWNERSHIP of the car (e.g. via a trade in), then sure they may change the options during that period of ownership, but that's true of hardware too.

Anyone else in the same boat? I have FSD on my 2020 Model 3 and I would be cool with upgrading but they need to let us transfer our FSD to a new car otherwise I'll mainly be looking at other brands or who knows.

Can you just sell your car with FSD for more than without currently? It sounds like some folks do pay up for it still. Prior to this wide price cut for the vehicles, are FSD resale values really low like $750 vs. $6k, $10k or whatever someone originally paid?

Not sure the distinction you're trying to make...? When Tesla gets ownership, they remove FSD so they can sell it again. By any measure, that's scummy. Not sure how anyone could disagree?
Not sure why Tesla should not be able to do that - once they own the car they can do whatever they want with it. Put on different wheels, remove or add FSD, or anything else. As long as when they are selling it they clearly advertise what's included.

Not sure the distinction you're trying to make...? When Tesla gets ownership, they remove FSD so they can sell it again. By any measure, that's scummy. Not sure how anyone could disagree?
Why is that scummy? When they get ownership, they can do whatever they want to THEIR CAR, just like you as an owner can to your own car. They can repaint the car, swap all the wheels, suspension, seats, etc (some owners do that themselves). FSD is just one other component like that.

FSD typically is only removed by Tesla when they sell the car for cheap at an auction and it makes complete sense, given dealers get the car for a fraction of the market price (so why should Tesla throw in FSD?)