Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The woes of wrecking a Tesla Model 3 Performance...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should Obstacle Aware Acceleration not stop the car from hitting the concrete post ? or did you have that turn off ?

OAA does not stop you from hitting things.

I would think AEB could operate and even stop, in this case but the NN is probably not tuned for concrete blocks. Still...radar... Beta feature!

OP, very sorry this happened to you. Sounds like a tough situation. I doubt it is totaled (because salvage value is probably relatively low in this case), but probably more than $20k in damage. Just guessing.

Reactions: cwerdna
OUCH! Sorry to see that. You should have had audible alerts on and telling you that there was an object in front of you.

The 12V battery "dying", and the car going into park after rolling a few feet is probably intentional so that you STOP OPERATING THE CAR with a completely compromised safety system. Just my $0.02.

Please keep us informed of the repair total as a data point.

Sorry to hear your sad story! The parking garage is not liable for having a concrete block, unfinished light stanchion, unmarked? It totally blends in with all that other unpainted concrete, and on a gray day with poor viz, who's going to see it? I'd talk to a lawyer, since it's definitely unfinished.

@Ayy Eye i don’t think the 12v is toast just yet. If the car is in your possession I would charge it up with a battery charger.

When the cars airbags deploy, a pyrofuse blows in the battery pack penthouse (located under the rear seat cushion). This pyrofuse cuts off The complete HV system, thus it does not recharge your 12v battery.

This is correct an airbag deployment triggers the cutoff of the 12v system (and therefore the high voltage system) to aid first responders. In general airbags should not deploy when a vehicle is travelling less than 8mph.

Can you post your side repeater video so we can see the standing water? Certainly impressive that a top floor garage was pooling so much water. Not good for the max structural loads it can support.

This is correct an airbag deployment triggers the cutoff of the 12v system (and therefore the high voltage system) to aid first responders. In general airbags should not deploy when a vehicle is travelling less than 8mph.

Can you post your side repeater video so we can see the standing water? Certainly impressive that a top floor garage was pooling so much water. Not good for the max structural loads it can support.

• Informative
Reactions: anon37485 and Alex2
Man people love to point out what they think you should have done... Give the guy a break everyone lol.

I'm sorry about your car. I see how this could have happened with the visibility & panic. I backed my car into my wife's car when she went into labor late at night. Fortunately it was just a paint scratch.

I agree they should have a manual release, especially if main power is severed in a collision.

The 12 volt system does not get cut off by airbag deployment. It stays active after the accident for things like hazards, doors to open, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
I'm not an expert, but I seriously question the integrity of the vehicle's front end structure if that much damage is caused by a 3 MPH collision.
The entire front end of the Model 3 is an engineered "crush zone", to help spread the deceleration of the vehicle over a greater time. Speed doesn't kill you, it's the rate of deceleration that kills you.

I'm glad to see that the crush zone is, indeed, crushing. That's a good thing.

OP, that just hurts to see. I'm so sorry this happened to you, and hope that you get your car fixed well and quickly.

The 12 volt system does not get cut off by airbag deployment. It stays active after the accident for things like hazards, doors to open, etc.
The high voltage system gets cut off, so it can no longer recharge the 12v battery. So the 12v battery is "cut off" from the high voltages system (which is what I'm assuming what he meant).

Consult an attorney. There is so much that should not have happened here. Did anyone else suffer a loss because of this "flood"?
Top of the list of things that shouldn't have happened: driving when you can't see out the windshield.