Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Theft Of Components Off My Model S @ Cleveland Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh really? Interesting... What exactly does that tell "us"? If you're going to take a back handed swipe at people like myself, at least have the courage to finish your thought...

I find it extraordinarily hard to believe that a Tesla owned service center STOLE things from a customer car, especially things like seats... I mean seriously people...??? Really??? You guys honestly think that Tesla stole the guys seats and did such a poor job doing so that they damaged the wiring???

At least the OP was willing to backup their claims unlike the other thread where the guy made wild accusations without any proof and people hopped on the bandwagon without any hesitation...

TMC is slowly turning from a Tesla enthusiasts site to a Tesla troll site...

Jeff
Knowing some of the Cleveland staff personally, including the named employee in the original post, I would agree that this seems like we are only getting half the story.

Reactions: Max*
I find it extraordinarily hard to believe that a Tesla owned service center STOLE things from a customer car, especially things like seats... I mean seriously people...??? Really??? You guys honestly think that Tesla stole the guys seats and did such a poor job doing so that they damaged the wiring???

Jeff
IMHO you are being narrow minded by dismissing the idea that a bad employee could have been the one who committed the alleged thefts/unauthorized use if the car.
I agree that TESLA wouldn't be playing games with an owner's car but to think that there can't be any shenanigans by an employee is just naive thinking.

I had an MB that went in for service and apparently was taken for a ride as I found fast food wrappers in the car, the xm station was changed and over 125 miles were put on the car. things like this happen, and I am willing to listen to the OP's complaints.

IMHO you are being narrow minded by dismissing the idea that a bad employee could have been the one who committed the alleged thefts/unauthorized use if the car.
I agree that TESLA wouldn't be playing games with an owner's car but to think that there can't be any shenanigans by an employee is just naive thinking.

I had an MB that went in for service and apparently was taken for a ride as I found fast food wrappers in the car, the xm station was changed and over 125 miles were put on the car. things like this happen, and I am willing to listen to the OP's complaints.

Perhaps but... That is an exceptionally bad employee... So exceptionally bad that I simply cannot and will not buy that the OP had his seats stolen and done so in that manor. I'm still a bit stunned that so many of you are just taking this claim at face value and running with it. It goes to show the continued degradation of the user community here. I'm by no means the longest tenured member either by join date or posts but I have been around long enough to see how the community has evolved from very pro-Tesla to borderline anti-Tesla...

A thread with these claims would have been laughed at 3 years ago, the op would have been ran out of town as a "short"... I don't for one moment believe that's the OPs intentions here to be clear, I actually believe the damage (mostly), I just don't believe the story or where the finger is pointing...

Jeff

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Perhaps but... That is an exceptionally bad employee... So exceptionally bad that I simply cannot and will not buy that the OP had his seats stolen and done so in that manor. I'm still a bit stunned that so many of you are just taking this claim at face value and running with it. It goes to show the continued degradation of the user community here. I'm by no means the longest tenured member either by join date or posts but I have been around long enough to see how the community has evolved from very pro-Tesla to borderline anti-Tesla...

A thread with these claims would have been laughed at 3 years ago, the op would have been ran out of town as a "short"... I don't for one moment believe that's the OPs intentions here to be clear, I actually believe the damage (mostly), I just don't believe the story or where the finger is pointing...

Jeff

I'd almost agree with you(I'd probably be a bit more towards neutral on whether it's true or not), except that I don't really see a motive. Nothing in this thread really paints Tesla in a bad light. The worst claim against Tesla that I see is when it was pointed out that they disconnect(and sometimes damage) dashcams.

The OP came off as neutral to positive on Tesla, and left an overall positive impression of them when they pointed out they were being taken care of. I'd actually be more inclined to believe it's a false flag: someone from Tesla making up the story to win customer service points(Note: I don't actually believe that to be true)

• Informative
Reactions: Swift and jeffro01
So where is the OP? Many of us are waiting for an update that will help clarify the many serious questions about what happened to his car.

Unfortunately for us (great for him), he probably got the attention he needed from someone and is actually getting his problem solved. Sad that the SVC is the first and sometimes only contact point for owners, and that people have to come on here to get Jon's attention.

Yes I know there is an "exec email" button now, but only time will tell if it helps solve real issues.

Reactions: Swift
I actually believe the damage (mostly), I just don't believe the story or where the finger is pointing...

The thing is, we have no idea what actually happened. It appears that the OP has at least some corroborating evidence of inappropriate treatment of his vehicle, starting with the mileage discrepancy and also possible interior wear/damage. However, we have no idea how that happened, who did it, under what circumstances it occurred, etc. Pointing any fingers, whether at Tesla blaming them for a deliberate cover-up, or at the OP for making up a story is premature.

The OP stated that the car was picked up by a flatbed, delivered to a service center that was out of state (Michigan to Ohio), worked on, then returned to him. There are multiple parties involved in the transport and handling of the car, and multiple opportunities for someone not involved with Tesla to get a hold of the car.

To me, the mileage discrepancy is the biggest corroborating indicator of impropriety on someone's part. 158 miles is excessive for a test drive or confirmation of proper operation. It indicates to me that a person not working on behalf of Tesla (although not necessarily a non-Tesla employee) drove the car for personal reasons, which is enough wrongdoing to warrant compensation.

• Informative
Reactions: jeffro01
A thread with these claims would have been laughed at 3 years ago, the op would have been ran out of town as a "short"...

Yes, he would have, completely irrespective of whether or not the story was true. :)

I think TMC has improved since those days. This thread has been civil, there is a reasonable amount of doubt overall, a reasonable amount of noting that Tesla as company may also be innocent, etc. So a fairly balanced thread.

I say that is well done TMC. Well done. Running people out as shorts irrespective of them being shorts or not, that was a bad time.

The thing is, we have no idea what actually happened. It appears that the OP has at least some corroborating evidence of inappropriate treatment of his vehicle, starting with the mileage discrepancy and also possible interior wear/damage. However, we have no idea how that happened, who did it, under what circumstances it occurred, etc. Pointing any fingers, whether at Tesla blaming them for a deliberate cover-up, or at the OP for making up a story is premature.

The OP stated that the car was picked up by a flatbed, delivered to a service center that was out of state (Michigan to Ohio), worked on, then returned to him. There are multiple parties involved in the transport and handling of the car, and multiple opportunities for someone not involved with Tesla to get a hold of the car.

To me, the mileage discrepancy is the biggest corroborating indicator of impropriety on someone's part. 158 miles is excessive for a test drive or confirmation of proper operation. It indicates to me that a person not working on behalf of Tesla (although not necessarily a non-Tesla employee) drove the car for personal reasons, which is enough wrongdoing to warrant compensation.

I would say the 158 miles is just about how far they had to transport it, but social media says he lives in Ray which is 211 miles from the service center. But I know that's not how they do the Michigan service from the Cleveland location anyway.

Regardless, the silence from OP is not surprising if corporate reached out and resolved the issue. He owes us nothing, and I hope his problem was resolved. Although, we would all like to know what happened.

Reactions: MP3Mike
From his profile, he was only ever on for the 3 hours or Thursday when he created his 10 posts. From those, it seems like Tesla contacted him, which was his goal. Maybe he'll return someday....

1. Squeak
2. Grease
3. Roll
His limited participation here on TMC fuels those who don't give him much credibility.
however I've found that many people do not reach out to sites like this unless they have some serious venting to do.
it has been my position all along that if his claims hold true that there are really two victims of this, the first is the car owner and the other being tesla who had an employee who was entrusted with the vehicle to violate that trust.
lastly isn't it plausible that tesla did (attempt) make him whole and he agreed not to discuss this incident in any public forum?

His limited participation here on TMC fuels those who don't give him much credibility.
however I've found that many people do not reach out to sites like this unless they have some serious venting to do.
it has been my position all along that if his claims hold true that there are really two victims of this, the first is the car owner and the other being tesla who had an employee who was entrusted with the vehicle to violate that trust.
lastly isn't it plausible that tesla did (attempt) make him whole and he agreed not to discuss this incident in any public forum?

Totally, I did not mean to cast any doubt on him. I have myself have had a vent or two on a message board never to be seen again.

Perhaps it would have been better said:
He came, they saw, he concurred?

• Funny
Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
As someone who may be using that service center in the future, I want to know how things turned out.

If anyone does a search for the original poster, he'll find he's a long time business owner. He makes his living with heavy equipment. He's posted Youtube videos. He loves that car. Honestly, I don't doubt his post.

I do hope there is a way to find out how this matter is resolved.

I'd bet this is what has happened. Someone should PM him and ask.........then politely post on here to say he's been in touch?

He did say that Tesla contacted him:

Yes, the original sales person I bought the car from... he said it was the quickest way to get a response from corporate because they monitor the site... and it has already worked... they have already responded to the thread...

PM may not work since he hasn't been back to the site (at least logged in) since Thursday.