Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Theft Of Components Off My Model S @ Cleveland Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know zero about law. Just asking...if the OP did lawyer up, and is therefore unable to communicate further on the topic...can he at least mention this? That is, can he return to the thread and say he's initiated legal action and can't comment further? Or is that considered breaking the legal contract? Again, just asking.

Easily could be someone stole the car from the shop, drove it around, stole the seats, and returned it hoping no one would notice. Security at car shops has never been great. Walk in with the name of someone whose car is being repaired and you might get yourself a Tesla. I've only been to my SvC once, so I can't say much about their security. But there are other explanations other than Tesla employees being criminals.
I immediately thought like you that the car was stolen and returned, either by an insider at the service centre or someone outside who found or stole the fob. Don't know where customer fobs are kept, but if on a hook somewhere, anyone taking one could easily identify the car it belongs to by quietly walking by all the cars in the lot until one presented its handles.

I know zero about law. Just asking...if the OP did lawyer up, and is therefore unable to communicate further on the topic...can he at least mention this? That is, can he return to the thread and say he's initiated legal action and can't comment further? Or is that considered breaking the legal contract? Again, just asking.
I am not a lawyer here, and can tell by some other adept posts, that some people here are. My opinion is no. Obtaining a lawyer, or even filing suit, does not preclude one from discussing the case in public. Wise or not is another matter. His lawyer may have advised him to say nothing more, and I guess, could conceivably contractually prohibit him, or else face termination as a client. Or, like mentioned above, TM has weighed in and is settling this matter with a NDA. In which case, depending on the terms of the NDA, it is still possible that he could return here and say something to the effect of "Tesla reached out to me and is resolving the situation to my satisfaction." In fact, it is even possible that TM could require that he do so as part of the settlement. ;)

I immediately thought like you that the car was stolen and returned, either by an insider at the service centre or someone outside who found or stole the fob. Don't know where customer fobs are kept, but if on a hook somewhere, anyone taking one could easily identify the car it belongs to by quietly walking by all the cars in the lot until one presented its handles.
Wow, I would hope not. Wouldn't that make the service center complicit in covering up a crime?

O
Wow, I would hope not. Wouldn't that make the service center complicit in covering up a crime?
Only if they did not know. Someone could have swiped the car on a Friday night and returned it early Monday morning with no one the wiser. Could be a weekend cleaner or their confederate? Need a Sherlock Holmes on this case... maybe the dog that didn't bark type of case here?

Car replacement at first seems extreme but if his components have been swapped it may go beyond what is visible.

Air bag theft isn't uncommon in other cars. Can they be removed and the monitoring system be bypassed? Have any suspension components been swapped? If story is to be believed, the seats were swapped. The wheels and tires had new damage, it might be that his intact wheels and tires were swapped for damaged ones on another car, rather than as is assumed, being newly damaged on this one during a joyride. The oxidation level of the abraded metal might provide a clue. If the wheels are different, they might have been exposed to stresses beyond what is obvious. Those wheels could have come from a wrecked car. Is the battery pack the same one? He mentioned the damage to the plate.

If any parts have been swapped, it seems there may have been other modifications, removals, and swaps that aren't immediately obvious.

If any parts such as the seats have been found to have been swapped while in their care, then Tesla should go through the car and verify each part of the car is the original. It might be cheaper and quicker to provide the owner with a similar mileage and condition certified replacement.

I think if this is found to be an accurate description of the abuse of the car during the time it was entrusted to Tesla's care, Tesla should bend over backwards to make it right. We don't have a choice about where we take our cars for service. As long as Tesla forces us to use only their facilities, they must provide security for our cars and must maintain them in the condition in which received. And if they fall short, Tesla should do whatever is necessary to return the car to the owner in a similar or better condition. If they cannot, then they should replace the car with one that similar or better.

I hate the thought that my new car might be damaged, pillaged, or vandalized while in Tesla's care. It shouldn't be a worry, it just shouldn't happen, ever. As far as employees backing cars into things and scraping them, that shouldn't happen either. Maybe there should be two people involved any time a customer's car is moved, one to drive and another as a lookout. They should care for my car the way I do, and honestly, I'm damned careful.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I am not a lawyer here, and can tell by some other adept posts, that some people here are. My opinion is no. Obtaining a lawyer, or even filing suit, does not preclude one from discussing the case in public. Wise or not is another matter. His lawyer may have advised him to say nothing more, and I guess, could conceivably contractually prohibit him, or else face termination as a client. Or, like mentioned above, TM has weighed in and is settling this matter with a NDA. In which case, depending on the terms of the NDA, it is still possible that he could return here and say something to the effect of "Tesla reached out to me and is resolving the situation to my satisfaction." In fact, it is even possible that TM could require that he do so as part of the settlement. ;)

Excellent points...thank you for the response!

NDA is typically signed to enter negotiations, but may be part of the final agreement as well.
Yes. You are correct. In fact, I just did the same, but that was between me and another party trying to negotiate a deal. This is quite different in the OP's story, as he was clearly a victim, and would have no reason to sign an NDA prior to negotiations unless there was a clear incentive. If TM came to me and said that the will work with me only if I would sign an NDA, I would be a bit reluctant. What if they fail to come to a reasonable solution? Would I be released from the NDA? Personally, I would set a minimum requirement that all repairs be made to my vehicle within a specified time period prior to signing.

Alternatively, it is quite possible that TM contacted the OP and simply said they will work on it and kindly asked that he hold off further comments for now, and if he is satisfied, he can then let us know.

Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla