Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Theft Of Components Off My Model S @ Cleveland Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it is crazy, but considering I have the limited a/c seats that are no longer available..brand new in my car..& it was returned with old, worn sun faded, unworking a/c seats (clearly not my original new seats in a garage kept car with under 10,000 miles) Trust me, I couldn't believe it myself.. Looking at the seats my car was returned with made me want to vomit. Obviously someone needed new seats & you can't get these seats any more. Whether it was a friend of a service person or the person himself. Who does this anyway?? How would you like to have your vehicle returned with different components then when it left your residence? There was no reason for my seats to be touched period, least removed and replaced with seats that have obvious wear and tear not possible for the amount of time I have owned & driven my car. This happened, whether you believe it or not. I wish it hadn't. I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Joe, sorry to hear about your ordeal. You should escalate this issue to senior management at Tesla and take legal action if necessary.
The joyride and theft of your seats is shocking to say the least ... good luck and let us know how this service fail is resolved by Tesla!

Last edited:
Reactions: Swift
That is all just insane. But one little point, that really doesn't matter, is that they aren't AC seats. There is no AC, or hookup to the AC system, in the seats. They are just ventilated. (They have a fan the sucks air through the seat surface and blows it out under the seat.)

I hope @JonMc can get in touch with you, help figure out what went wrong, and how to make it right for you.

What would you really like them to do?
  • Replace the damaged tires/wheels.
  • Replace the seats with new ventilated seats while repairing the wiring harness.
  • A full detailing of the car.
  • Fix the AC issue that they didn't get to.
  • Investigate/fix the water intrusion in the rear.
The other interesting thing is that I find it interesting that you expected them to fail since you put tape on the taillights to see if they worked on them. (I don't think many people do that.)
I wouldn't have put the tape except for I was told that that service center was overwhelmed & that they never fully complete their tasks. Example my windshield cameras where never calibrated causing auto pilot to pull hard left into oncoming traffic (which was reported to me by the driver delivering the car back)
I work in aircraft industry and everything is marked to verify it was serviced. I understand how the seats work..regardless they are not working like they had before. But yes you are correct.

...you expected them to fail since you put tape on the taillights to see if they worked on them...

If the work receipt says it did the work on it, then the tape business is one way to disprove the record. Also, a good car wash could confirm whether a new water seal was applied or not.

Otherwise, regular tape is no proof of whether it was worked on and then was carefully taped back to the original condition or not.

You need to have a clearly marked tampered proof tape that there's no way to work on it except to break it.

But the tape business is irrelevant if the work receipt does not mention working on it.

4. The car was also returned to me with an additional 150+ miles on the odometer... my question is how does this happen when it's taken down to CSC on a flatbed...? I followed my car by the app on my Iphone... shortly after arrival to (CSC) the computer system was shut down so that my Iphone App. would not see the location or any activity of the vehicle...

Just wanted to note that disabling mobile app access when your car is being serviced is standard practice. They had too many people honking their horns, locking/unlocking doors, etc. while the car was in the shop so they now (should) disable mobile app access when taking the car into the bay.

Man, the bit about the seats being changed out is insane! Keep us updated and hopefully you find satisfactory resolution without too much trouble.

tweet @elonmusk on twitter with this story. Companies have a reputation they like to maintain on twitter.
I love Tesla & love my car.. I don't wish to give the company a bad wrap, just the service center & the employees who participated.. Just because you have one or two bad apples in the bunch doesn't mean it should reflect on the entire company..

A dashcam would have been useful in this situation but since the service center disconnect them, you would need a tamper proof enclosure like this: BlackVue DR650/DR550 Tamperproof Case for Front Camera

I am not sure why Tesla Service disconnects dashcams, they can merely mute audio by waving their hands in front of the blackvue (common amongst Tesla owners). None of the other dealerships (Acura/Cadillac) disconnect my dashcam and some have even had their dashcam connectors damaged in the process.

I hope this is an isolated issue and hopefully Tesla service is in the process of being revamped before the Model 3. When I needed my Model X service after delivery for rattles/rumbles, I would have to take it in twice as it was obvious they didn't do anything the first time, even though the receipt stated otherwise.

• Informative
Reactions: gowthamn
I agree that posting on Tesla Motors Club is the quickest way of resolving issues. Tesla monitors this and the publicity is force that gets results, when other methods don't, unfortunately.

Good - if unorthodox - advice from the Tesla sales rep, then.

As for the story of the stolen seats... wow. Just wow. Time to stop calling dealerships stealerships perhaps and re-label... ;)

Reactions: davidc18
WOW! And this is the service center I am supposed to take my delivery from next month...
It's a big service center with many dozens of Tesla's in their parking lot. Quite a few people are working there.
I really hope this incident is not representative of the entire service center.
Please keep us posted!