Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took some getting used to it for me, but basically you push it in until just before the point where you would get a spray. Hold it there for about 2 seconds (that's what always threw me because I figured nothing was happening -- 2 seconds is a long time for user input), and it should swipe.

just as easy and probably faster to just twist it to the first wipe position and back to off. Twist forward and back.

Took some getting used to it for me, but basically you push it in until just before the point where you would get a spray. Hold it there for about 2 seconds (that's what always threw me because I figured nothing was happening -- 2 seconds is a long time for user input), and it should swipe.
Hope TESLA changes that. A lot can happen in 2 seconds waiting for your window to be wiped clear.
I've done the twist on-off action too, but a quick tap would be a lot faster.

Hope TESLA changes that. A lot can happen in 2 seconds waiting for your window to be wiped clear.
I've done the twist on-off action too, but a quick tap would be a lot faster.

I found that mine wasn't really two seconds, but it sure seems like it when you're waiting for the wiper to move. Definitely not a press and it goes switch.

Too bad the intermittent settings don't work. Pressing the button to create an intermittent setting gets to be old after a few presses.

I only hold it in for maybe 1/2 second to get a single swipe. It's not a quick push, but it's certainly not a push and hold. And there's a slight detent and it's only sprayed when I've passed it.

I noticed Saturday while supercharging that only one of the louvered vents ( the drivers side) opened while charging. I asked if this was normal. I was told that yes it is normal as there are differnt cooling systems for different parts of the car. So I assume that the left louvered vent is for the battery. Would the right louvered vent then be for the drive and power conversion?

The photos that have appeared of the HVAC diagnostic screen indicate that they actually are in series, and the center one is separate.

That doesn't mean they can't louver the two side ones separately, of course; by closing the louvers on one side the second radiator would be "switched off" even though coolant was still flowing through it. That would reduce aerodynamic drag a bit (when the car is in motion, of course).

This finally solves my "lights go on repeatedly at drive-in" problem. (I just tested this method of leaving and reentering the car, and unlike every other I can find, the lights *stay* OFF.) I took the liberty of mentioning that in the FAQ. I haven't found any other way to do it, and I hadn't connected "leave my car on" with the "drive-in" problem.

The other problem (the sound turns down whenever the door opens) is still a problem, but that only affects my passengers; at least I won't be offending everyone else at the drive-in. :smile:

Last edited:
Discovered something new in the S. All the vents including the ones in the back will close if you move the horizontal slider to one extreme. Probably a feature inherited from mercs but nevertheless pretty cool. :)

Took me a few minutes to discover why no air was coming out--they were in the closed position when the car was delivered.

I just noticed that the UMC has a reset button on the back. I don't what it would be used for, but I suppose Ownership will tell me when to use it if necessary. I also noticed that the gasket around the windshield seems to be a thin, pliable sheet. I hope it's durable enough to hold up over time.

Hopefully this one's not a repeat...didn't have time to go through all 24 pages! You can pause live radio using TuneIn. I've taken to listening to even local radio using TuneIn (I'm well aware that there's a loss of quality compared to over-the-air, especially HD) because I can pause a good song as I pull up to a drive through, get a phone call, etc. and come back to it later. Is there anything this car can't do?!

Hopefully this one's not a repeat...didn't have time to go through all 24 pages! You can pause live radio using TuneIn. I've taken to listening to even local radio using TuneIn (I'm well aware that there's a loss of quality compared to over-the-air, especially HD) because I can pause a good song as I pull up to a drive through, get a phone call, etc. and come back to it later. Is there anything this car can't do?!
If you pause, is there a way to fast forward?

Most live sports are not played on tunein even if the station you are listening to is broadcasting the game over the air. Found this out the hard way waiting for the SF Giants game to start on KNBR.