Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope I didnt miss this if somebody already wrote it up. I tried the emergency Frunk latch under the glove box aftee learning of it here. It popped the Frunk, but the 2nd latch prevented full opening of the hood. I discovered that there id a small black lever/button to the left of the latch (when facing the car) under the hood. I slipped my fingers in and pushed it down. That released the 2nd latch and I was able to open the Frunk.

This partial opening also sometimes happens when using the Frunk button on the touch screen or the fob. The lever under the hood seems to work for all instances of partial opening. It is very similar to the traditional safety catch on most cars. The difference with Model S is that the button is in the body and is pushed down, whereas most cars have the catch on the hood and you pull up.

This thread is terrific. Thanks so very much. Wish I could organize the browser's bookmarks to put this one at the top.

Posted from my Tesla.

Last edited:
Apologies if these have already been posted:

A single click on the right scroll wheel:
Opens the pano roof to the vent position if the pano is closed
or
Closes the pano roof if the pano is open (at any position). Great feature.

Also, holding down the middle button on the fob will lock the car (my son discovered that one).

Apologies if these have already been posted:

A single click on the right scroll wheel:
Opens the pano roof to the vent position if the pano is closed
or
Closes the pano roof if the pano is open (at any position). Great feature.

Also, holding down the middle button on the fob will lock the car (my son discovered that one).

I think the scroll wheel click is dependent on how you have your car set up...I believe mine brings up a sub menu of controls to choose from (pano, media selection, fan speed, etc.)

I think the scroll wheel click is dependent on how you have your car set up...I believe mine brings up a sub menu of controls to choose from (pano, media selection, fan speed, etc.)

It does, but the click the OP was talking about is different. That's when you're already in the <whatever> menu. I only discovered this a couple of weeks ago. Some of the others, like Display Brightness have a "click inside the menu" behaviour as well.

Funny I find that the mirrors (granted mine don't auto-tilt) and camera are basically worthless for backing up. I do use the mirrors to get straight. And the camera to know when to stop. But other than that the view out the back window is pretty good.

I do wish that I could see 'higher' out the back window when using my rear view mirror though.

I agree as well.

There is also the 'handedness' of the view... turning toward your view seems better; and yes, it is a old habit (i.e. I'm old)

- - - Updated - - -

It does, but the click the OP was talking about is different. That's when you're already in the <whatever> menu. I only discovered this a couple of weeks ago. Some of the others, like Display Brightness have a "click inside the menu" behaviour as well.

Agreed, if you are in the <all selections available> mode and you negotiate to the <whatever> menu, but also if you have the right SW set to the <whatever> function... either way the single click works and has specific context, such as 'mute media', 'close/open sunroof', etc.

Here's something I just noticed today when parked in front of a glass store window... when you put the car in Reverse, both front Cornering Lights come on. I did a double take and actually tried it two or three times to be sure. This was in broad daylight with only the DRLs on. I assume it would be the same at night with headlights on.

I never noticed this before and wonder if it came into being with v4.5 of the car's firmware.

It took me almost 4 months to realize this, but today while I was at a traffic light, a big chrome fronted pick up truck was stopped behind me and I could see the reflection of the brake lights. The third brake light (top one) extends all across the width of the car, not just a short light in the middle. Very cool!

Ok I don't think this has been posted previously on this thread. Though I did post on another thread but wanted to post it hear for completeness.

When there is no connectivity if you click (tap) on the search field a new screen appears that says "No Connectivity: Address Search" or something like that. You can type in an address, it has fields for street address, city, and state, and then search for that address. When we did that we had no problem finding the address we were looking for and the Nav worked perfect though it took a bit of time for the actual map to update and not show the "No Results Found" watermark that had appeared when we first tried searching using the standard search input field.

I have not seen this before when I had connectivity.
We did not test to see if it would work on incomplete addresses.

Ok I don't think this has been posted previously on this thread. Though I did post on another thread but wanted to post it hear for completeness.

When there is no connectivity if you click (tap) on the search field a new screen appears that says "No Connectivity: Address Search" or something like that. You can type in an address, it has fields for street address, city, and state, and then search for that address. When we did that we had no problem finding the address we were looking for and the Nav worked perfect though it took a bit of time for the actual map to update and not show the "No Results Found" watermark that had appeared when we first tried searching using the standard search input field.

I have not seen this before when I had connectivity.
We did not test to see if it would work on incomplete addresses.
I started a thread a bit back with a screenshot of this. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the fact that zealots like Z-Terrestrail do things like jump out of the car when it is in Drive to see what will happen. Are we having too much fun yet?

- - - Updated - - -

I began doing this for fun on relatively level ground. Pretty cool feature

I love the fact that zealots like Z-Terrestrail do things like jump out of the car when it is in Drive to see what will happen. Are we having too much fun yet?

- - - Updated - - -

My car maxed out at 15mph in reverse.

Max reverse speed? Had not thought to check... But someone else has already gone out and floored it in reverse.

Like I said- we are having fun. But Ferris Beuller will be disappointed.

Last edited:
Lots of good information in this thread! I've compiled it all into a PDF document to make it easier for new (or existing) Model S owners to view.

I've hosted the file on my website so that I can modify it every few weeks with the most current updates.

To access the document, go to Geremology.com | Tesla Tips and Tricks .
Also, a direct link to the file is http://geremology.com/files/Tesla Model S Tips and Tricks.pdf

Thank you for the document!

One suggestion: Include the URL to the PDF above inside the document, so one can quickly download the latest version without having to find it elsewhere first. Or maybe a link to your main page stating the latest revision date, so one can decide if a newer version is available and download it right from there.