Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for the document!

One suggestion: Include the URL to the PDF above inside the document, so one can quickly download the latest version without having to find it elsewhere first. Or maybe a link to your main page stating the latest revision date, so one can decide if a newer version is available and download it right from there.

Two great suggestions! The site and PDF document have been updated accordingly.

Lots of good information in this thread! I've compiled it all into a PDF document to make it easier for new (or existing) Model S owners to view.

I've hosted the file on my website so that I can modify it every few weeks with the most current updates.

To access the document, go to Geremology.com | Tesla Tips and Tricks .
Also, a direct link to the file is http://geremology.com/files/Tesla Model S Tips and Tricks.pdf

Great information, although at least one item in your PDF is no longer current... "WAKE & UNLOCK VIA TRUNK BUTTON" no longer works as of 4.5.

<break>

Found this one out last night while pulling in the garage on a phone call. For those of you who want the radio audio to remain at its present level with the driver's door open (let say you're washing the car and have everything open while detailing, but don't want the radio volume to go down) here's what you can do. It's hacky, but works.

1) Set volume of radio at desired level
2) Initiate a phone call via Bluetooth
3) Open driver's door
4) Disconnect the call
5) Volume should remain at set level
6) ???
7) Profit!

Found this one out last night while pulling in the garage on a phone call. For those of you who want the radio audio to remain at its present level with the driver's door open (let say you're washing the car and have everything open while detailing, but don't want the radio volume to go down) here's what you can do. It's hacky, but works.

3) Open driver's door
4) Disconnect the call
6) ???
7) Profit!

Ah, so the old saying "it's not a bug, it's a feature!" is true!

After 4 months, I finally figured out that in the climate control window, the words "auto" above each control item is actually a button! No wonder i couldn't figure out why things weren't adjusting automatically, it wasn't in auto mode! I feel so dumb... :/ But in my defence, they could have made them look more like buttons by changing the background or something. RTFM!

3) Open driver's door
4) Disconnect the call
6) ???
7) Profit!

Pretty sure if you just adjust the volume with the door open it will stay at that level.

Typo in ImperialG's very useful PDF: the section about fobs uses 'cub' where it should say 'cup'.

In the same section, where it talks about placing the fob on the windshield to unlock the car, it uses the words 'dead battery' but that's not really true: if the battery is really dead (or if it's been removed) the fob will not work in any location. Suggest you use 'weak battery' instead.

I have a refinement to suggest for the Exit profile idea. If, like me, you always forget to select the Exit profile until you're halfway out of the car, try defining the Exit profile based on your preferred driver profile; but (and here's the key) don't change the seat position, just the steering wheel. The steering wheel is the major culprit when it comes to ease of egress/ingress, but switching between profiles starts with repositioning the seat. If the seat position is the same in both, however, the steering wheel moves out of the way immediately, so you don't have to wait as long.

This only helps if you're the primary driver, of course. By the way, you can't re-position the seat manually at the same time the Exit profile is moving the steering wheel out of the way, because it cancels the profile switch if you try.

In the same section, where it talks about placing the fob on the windshield to unlock the car, it uses the words 'dead battery' but that's not really true: if the battery is really dead (or if it's been removed) the fob will not work in any location. Suggest you use 'weak battery' instead.
Not sure about that. In fact I think "dead battery" (or no battery at all) is correct, because the emergency contact is based on passive RFID technology. Did someone try that actually?

Mind you, this refers to the battery of the key fob and assumes that the car itself is operational.

Not sure about that. In fact I think "dead battery" (or no battery at all) is correct, because the emergency contact is based on passive RFID technology. Did someone try that actually?

Mind you, this refers to the battery of the key fob and assumes that the car itself is operational.

I believe you're right. But RFID isn't exactly passive. The RF from the reader is actually used to power an active IC to perform the communication and authentication.

Yes I tried (and so have several others). There is no RFID sensor - neither in the passenger windshield nor the cup holder.

If the battery is dead the key fob definitely doesn't work in any way.

I'm thinking of attaching a spare fob battery somewhere to the outside of the car with some sort of tape.

I don't have my Model S yet. What's the significance of the "preferred driver profile"? Does it switch to this automatically when you stop the car?

The car doesn't distinguish which profile is 'preferred', and the fobs are not tied to a particular profile, unlike my Acura. By 'preferred' I just meant the profile of the person who normally drives the car.

"These go to ELEVEN!"

I laughed when I realized this. Someone at Tesla software engineering has a sense of humor.

6qWDzAy.jpg