Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lights are on Auto, but not on, so only DRLs are lit. Then, it starts raining and you turn wipers on to auto and bang: headlights turn on too the same instant.

There might be a dusk threshold, but it has been repeatable for me.

This is because California has a law that lights must be on if wipers are on.

Lots of jurisdictions do. We have a similar requirement in Ontario, Canada. FWIW, the last few cars I've owned with automatic headlights have always turned on the full lighting system whenever the wipers are active... even in broad daylight. The exception is if you are just using the washers without actually turning the wipers on.

I think a lot (if not most) states have that law actually. I remember it being the law in Minnesota when I lived there. It's kind of nice for it to be automatic, as a lot of idiots on the road in CA don't turn their lights on when it's raining.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish Californians would actually obey the law. Most of the time, at least 1/3 - 1/2 the people on the road don't turn on their headlights when it rains....and to what? Save a few pennies of electricity on their 12V at the expense of collision risk?

I think it's actually ignorance or complacency. Trying to save a few pennies on electricity would require them to actually think.

Something I didn't know, but found out from roadside assistance. If you are charging and for what ever reason the charge station loses power it seems the Model S shows the unlock button for about 30s, then it disappears and the car thinks the chargeport is closed. Clicking on open chargeport will not actually unlock the locking pin so there are two ways to unlock. Either you re-enable power to the charging station (not necessarily possible) or you double click your keyfob. As it unlocks the car it also unlocks the locking pin. I needed that as there was no way to get the charge station back on power on Saturday so that was a useful piece of knowledge I didn't know before.

Something I didn't know, but found out from roadside assistance. If you are charging and for what ever reason the charge station loses power it seems the Model S shows the unlock button for about 30s, then it disappears and the car thinks the chargeport is closed. Clicking on open chargeport will not actually unlock the locking pin so there are two ways to unlock. Either you re-enable power to the charging station (not necessarily possible) or you double click your keyfob. As it unlocks the car it also unlocks the locking pin. I needed that as there was no way to get the charge station back on power on Saturday so that was a useful piece of knowledge I didn't know before.

You could also unlock with the App.

I didn't see this one here before. I just noticed that the first tap on the defroster turns on the ac defrost and a double tap turns on max defrost with high heat and probably the ac for dehumidification. It cleared our fogging windows (4 people, 3 just had showers) in seconds with the max defrost setting.

The headlights turn on if you turn on the wipers... but if intermittent / rain sensing mode is active, they turn off if the wipers don't actuate for a couple of minutes. This resulted in my headlights turning on and off repeatedly today while I was driving in very light snow. After a while I noticed this and manually turned on the headlights.

Oh, and if you manually pulse the wipers the headlights do not turn on.

I realized this the other day, and don't recall seeing it mentioned here:

The volume for your phone (via Bluetooth) is separate from your media playback. That is if you crank it up to 9 to hear your caller, then when you end your call and go back to the radio, it will drop back to 5 (or whatever you had it set at previously) so you don't blow your eardrums out.

The headlights turn on if you turn on the wipers... but if intermittent / rain sensing mode is active, they turn off if the wipers don't actuate for a couple of minutes. This resulted in my headlights turning on and off repeatedly today while I was driving in very light snow. After a while I noticed this and manually turned on the headlights.

Oh, and if you manually pulse the wipers the headlights do not turn on.

This is exactly how they worked on my last car as well, except that they didn't turn on until the rain sensing wipers gave a certain number of wipes in a certain time frame.