Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This will stir things up if approved - California's Proposal to Ban New Gas Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From today's news here in California:
California’s clean-air regulators Wednesday unveiled a far-reaching proposal requiring a ramp-up in sales of zero-emission cars, culminating in a ban on new gasoline-powered cars by 2035.

If adopted by the California Air Resources Board this summer, the regulations will be the first of their kind in the world and could pave the way for nationwide standards. At least 15 other states pledged to follow California’s lead on car standards on previous clean-car rules, and the federal government usually follows.

Charging_a_tesla_car.JPG

("Charging a Tesla car.JPG" by Jeffrey Beall is licensed under CC BY 4.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I see this law as "encouragement" to the manufacturers like Toyota who are dragging their feet very publicly about EV vs ICE. Everyone knows it would be challenged etc.. but its main purpose from what I've seen so far is to draw a line and say.. we are here now and we will fight you over this line if you choose to be difficult. CA would be 5th largest economy in the world if ranked as a country.. and you can bet that when we say something like this, people will listen carefully.. whether they like it or not. CA did the same back in the early 70s with the push for smog laws and emission controls on cars. I remember having to look up cars for smog tests because CA had different rules vs the rest of the country. The cars here had to be CA Emissions certified before they could be sold here. Now it doesnt matter..

Not useless at all.
Similar to the small-engine law that would mean hardware stores selling electric only, dealerships would only be able to sell used gas cars.
Companies could try to work around it with almost-new vehicles, but they risk the ban being extended to vehicles less than n months old.
It wouldn't stop people importing used gas cars, but used car sales is a lot more competitive than new car sales. No franchising in used cars.
It is too weak, and too late.
Yes it will hang like a cloud, but not have any impact for at least 10 years.

I see this law as "encouragement" to the manufacturers like Toyota who are dragging their feet very publicly about EV vs ICE. Everyone knows it would be challenged etc.. but its main purpose from what I've seen so far is to draw a line and say.. we are here now and we will fight you over this line if you choose to be difficult. CA would be 5th largest economy in the world if ranked as a country.. and you can bet that when we say something like this, people will listen carefully.. whether they like it or not. CA did the same back in the early 70s with the push for smog laws and emission controls on cars. I remember having to look up cars for smog tests because CA had different rules vs the rest of the country. The cars here had to be CA Emissions certified before they could be sold here. Now it doesnt matter..
Nope.
Again, too long, too weak.
Seeing Tesla double its growth every year, 30% profit margins, months of backlog, that is encouragement!
Companies will not stop making any ICE simply because of CA has a silly law (and look what happened with EV1).

I do wish rapid transition to BEV, but the CA law is practically worthless.
Either make it NO ICE registrations (except for vintage) by 2032, or no new ICE cars sold in CA by 2030, or go home.

All this worry about if and when new gas car sales will cease in CA is mostly just worry. People will adapt. NEW cars will be electric, and the "poor" will buy USED electric cars or gas car clunkers which will still have to have oil and filter changes, etc. Gas will probably get more expensive (I saw $6 yesterday) while gas cars will still need oil changes and tune-ups several times a year, and the gas cars sales will die. Oh, yeah, I know it's the dealers and gas station owners who are complaining. I've been charging my cars in my garage for ten years now and wouldn't even think of going to a gas station. Maybe those will become supercharger stations in the future, though if I can charge in my garage, I can't see a reason to go to a charging station.

There will be cheaper electrics, used electrics, etc. that the "poor" will use, lease, buy, and employers and low rent units will run wires to outlets (It's not hard OR expensive) near parking spaces. All these dire warnings will soon be forgotten as people figure it out, and gas cars will slowly (we're talking years) fade away as people realize they never have to get another oil or filter change and can charge up overnight. Builders will install 220-volt outlets de rigueur.

The big problem is that no one knows how to wire a 220v outlet and so have to hire an electrician at $400 per hour when homeowners often can wire their own. All this while the electricians try to convince them, "Oh, it's too hard!" "You might get killed!" or "I never learned to pump gas, you know, because it's so explosive!" Et cetera. Give me a break. I would welcome a mandate if only because it would prove all the naysayers wrong. It would be great to have CA quit selling gas on every corner and let the homeowner or apartment owner put in outlets for cars. Maybe the gas station workers could go to work for the electric companies.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
I personally know two families that went to TX ( Austin) and in less than a year came back to CA after being subjected to the "we dont want your kind around here".. they didnt much care for being on the receiving side of that. Moving is not a cure all be all that many claim it is. It might work depending on why.. but every place has it's own issues. You just pick and choose which you can live with.

I think would work better if more just would help and fix the issues instead of whining about them and stomping their feet. My wife and I are active on the local school board and trying get any kind of improvements in place is just a slugfest. Nobody wants to be involved other than bitching how bad everything is. And they certainly dont want to pay for anything.. even less so if their kids are out of the school. Its the old "whats in it for me".. helping society just doesn't do it anymore.
Your kind ?

The big problem is that no one knows how to wire a 220v outlet and so have to hire an electrician at $400 per hour when homeowners often can wire their own. All this while the electricians try to convince them, "Oh, it's too hard!" "You might get killed!" or "I never learned to pump gas, you know, because it's so explosive!" Et cetera. Give me a break. I would welcome a mandate if only because it would prove all the naysayers wrong. It would be great to have CA quit selling gas on every corner and let the homeowner or apartment owner put in outlets for cars. Maybe the gas station workers could go to work for the electric companies.

correct, because it is a 240v outlet. i agree people should be allowed to do their own electric work on their own single family residence. multi family, probably not.

California is asking electric car owners not to charge their cars between 4 to 9 pm. What happens when 95 percent of cars on the road are electric? I used to enjoy the Grass Valley area of California and Soda Springs. Just too expensive now.
I live 15 minutes down the hill from GV. I drove by soda springs on Sunday. Going to be 108 in auburn on weekend, or tuesday. Mini splits are working great, nice and 70 upstairs, 68 downstairs. Since I am off grid, who cares :)

California is asking electric car owners not to charge their cars between 4 to 9 pm. What happens when 95 percent of cars on the road are electric? I used to enjoy the Grass Valley area of California and Soda Springs. Just too expensive now.

Uh, they charge at night, when there's roughly 40% excess on the grid. In fact we eventually have the cars which are plugged in and willing put power into the grid during peak to serve as a virtual grid battery on unusually hot days. And yes, Teslas do not (currently) do vehicle-to-grid, but the question was about long-term plan for electric cars and grid health.

Last edited:
California is asking electric car owners not to charge their cars between 4 to 9 pm. What happens when 95 percent of cars on the road are electric?

I'm guessing they'll charge at some point between 9pm and 4pm the next day. Last I checked that's most of the hours of the day. I'll check again to make sure nothing has changed.

Yep. Still most of the hours of the day.

How many cars would need to be plugged into the grid to balance it out? I don't see how cars that need to charge can balance out the grid. Would all those cars that are discharging to the grid be a drain on the system when the emergency is over and all those cars are charging at once? Will electric companies pay people who use their cars to balance the grid? Would using your car to supply power to the grid shorten battery life? Can public chargers back feed power to the grid?

Last edited:
Would using your car to supply power to the grid shorten battery life?

Who says cars need to supply power to the grid to balance it? Taking power where there's a surplus is nearly as beneficial as supplying power when there's a deficit. Not taking 4kW when there's a deficit is just as beneficial as supplying 4kW.

Demand Response is also grid balancing.

How many cars would need to be plugged into the grid to balance it out? I don't see how cars that need to charge can balance out the grid. Would all those cars that are discharging to the grid be a drain on the system when the emergency is over and all those cars are charging at once? Will electric companies pay people who use their cars to balance the grid? Would using your car to supply power to the grid shorten battery life? Can public chargers back feed power to the grid?

Not if it was done a few times per year during record heat.

Nope.
Again, too long, too weak.
Seeing Tesla double its growth every year, 30% profit margins, months of backlog, that is encouragement!
Companies will not stop making any ICE simply because of CA has a silly law (and look what happened with EV1).

I do wish rapid transition to BEV, but the CA law is practically worthless.
Either make it NO ICE registrations (except for vintage) by 2032, or no new ICE cars sold in CA by 2030, or go home.
Apply emissions standards on ALL cars or go home. Drive behind a exhaust spewing vintage car recently ?

Reactions: petit_bateau
Using your car battery to power your home is silly and really leading the sheeple with marketing.

It's 4 times the size of a powerwall and you already have it right there. Assuming you don't happen to need to drive it long distance right away, why NOT help the grid during rare emergencies? Tesla is headed to packs that last anywhere from 250k to 1M miles - a half dozen additional cycles per year is not going to be meaningful.