Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thread for the most minor of suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a car that prioritizes fart noises over windshield wiper performance…and you’re asking why?
To be fair, fixing the wiper performance would take a lot of effort by multiple programmers and such. The fart noises were probably something an intern did in a few spare hours and made Elon laugh. But I still see your point...

A much louder "hey the trunk didn't fully close" alert would be nice.

Climate settings changed via the app should stick when I get into the car instead of reverting to what they were when I got out (especially if it was off)

If I manually set the lights to Off, they reset to auto on the next drive. But if I set them to On they stay on and I get a nag when I get out, and have to turn them off myself. Why can't that reset too?

Climate settings changed via the app should stick when I get into the car instead of reverting to what they were when I got out (especially if it was off)
100% agree.
fart noises = useless pretty graphics.

Both are useless when wiper issues and driving into emergency vehicles still exist but given Tesla's prioritization (let's distract the owner from the faults of the car with useless crap) neither of us should be overly surprised if it comes to be.

My opinion is that we should have *both* the fart noises and better wipers. I think you might be underestimating how much those fart noises helped Tesla grow.

Sure, not one single person bought the car for fart noises, but those types of things helped catapult interest in Tesla on YouTube among the younger generation (and old). These antics go hand-in-hand with Tesla spending zero on advertising and lots on R&D while legacy auto does the opposite.

As for wipers, auto works *okay*, but ultimately the failure is a hardware problem that can't 100% be resolved with software. Where my complaint would be isn't even the auto wipers, it's the manual wipers. We need way more increments and the ability to control them with the left scroll wheel while the wiper card is up. That would leave me a happy camper (but truly, I already am very happy with the Model 3).

Reactions: dansev
To be fair, fixing the wiper performance would take a lot of effort by multiple programmers and such. The fart noises were probably something an intern did in a few spare hours and made Elon laugh. But I still see your point...
Yes, but how many interns would it take to allow us to manually control the wipers (like in the good old days) regardless of using AP? If the car can’t see (like when the cameras get obstructed in mud or snow) AP can automatically disengage. The requirement of auto wipers, that simply don’t work, is just absurd.

Also it should be noted that I’m on 2023.27.7 which has the worst auto wiper implementation by a factor of like 4. It was bad in the past, but on this firmware they really could only be described as faulty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Transformer
Back on topic, I would like to see two features that I have mentioned previously on this forum:

1) More seat heater levels. Often level 2 is too little and 3 is too hot. Sometimes 1 feels like nothing. I’d prefer 5 levels. I will admit the current interface would make this tedious to cycle through. But…I’d still like more granularity.

2) Navigation setting to prefer routes better handled by AP. I regularly take a drive that the nav system insists on taking me through what might be the worst drive in Boston, that can’t use any AP, instead of a bit longer route that can be done 90% on AP. Very frustrating that I can’t get the nav system to even make it one of the three possibilities.

Reactions: father_of_6
Yes, but how many interns would it take to allow us to manually control the wipers (like in the good old days) regardless of using AP? If the car can’t see (like when the cameras get obstructed in mud or snow) AP can automatically disengage. The requirement of auto wipers, that simply don’t work, is just absurd.

One competent software developer a few shifts or less could produce good manual wipers controls.

It's not really an issue of labor. Tesla might not even realize there's a problem. Even if they do, they may underestimate the severity... perhaps all the decision makers live in areas with little precipitation. If one key decision maker understood the problem/solution with the current manual wipers, it would be prioritized and improved rather quickly.

I'm not intimating Elon as that key decision maker, either. I'm sure there are others (product owners) that are able to give priority to improving manual wipers controls. Probably the largest inadequacy that Tesla has is an ineffective feedback loop from its customers. It's the same reason they're continuing to remove stalks from newer vehicles. They're confusing "people are still buying them" with "people like what they're buying".

Overall people really like their Teslas. That's been proven by the very high brand loyalty that Tesla has enjoyed. Tesla is definitely chipping away at that though. Make enough poor changes to the vehicles and people will stop buying.

I'd rather the map show emergency vehicles (at least those running code) and pop an alert, though this would probably require a "crowdsourced" type solution including other cars since I don't see said vehicles getting special transponders.

Thank you, that is a valid answer to my "Why?" But not a simple implementation that can use TeslaVision it is hard to locate exactly where the emergency vehicle is by sound and would be even harder by cameras since they don't have x-ray vision. I wondered if there were transponders so at least there weren't when you drove the big loud red trucks.

Aside: I live by an interesting intersection for big red loud trucks. The station is located on a one-way westbound road but at a SW corner and when there is an alarm, the three directions of traffic lights go red and stay that way for at least 4 minutes to clear the intersection and road so the trucks can pull out and go 'wrong-way' into the intersection and then head South (which after a short block offers an eastbound route) or North. The freeway runs over these roads with on ramps in both directions. It is a great location for a station, but when I hear a siren when approaching the intersection, finding the siren fast tells me if I'll be at least 4 minutes delayed or just have to pull aside or not proceed because it is not a fire alarm but a 'normal' siren. The trauma hospital is just over 1/2 a mile away so it is often an ambulance up on the highway requiring no action on my part. It is hard enough for my ears and eyes to figure it out, I can't imagine how software would do it except by elimination, "I've looked where I need to in order to react to a siren, can't see anything, therefore I'll go ahead as if the siren isn't there."

Is there a workaround? Having said it out loud, it occurs to me that it might work better using a small bottle than the gallon jug that washer fluid comes in.

If you are referring to the fact we don't actually have functioning AUTO wipers at this point, the only work-around I know of is not using AP/EAP/FSDb and switching the wipers to OFF. Using any driver assist option switches them to Auto and that point they will dry swipe randomly and not so randomly all the time (i.e. parked in Camp mode.) OFF solves the dry swipes. ON solves the doesn't work when needed but you need to turn them on yourself because when there is precipitation, the wipers don't actually clear the windshield the way the majority people want it cleared.

(Today was a bad day for AUTO, I had both dry swiping and later ice building up on my windshield because they weren't swiping enough in the freezing rain.)

I had the volume panned all the way to the rear today so the kids could listen to some stories and I was surprised how effective it is at keeping the sound in the rear and not the front. Made me think that a cool feature would be to be able to have different media playing in the front and the rear simultaneously.

It wouldn’t be as enjoyable as just listening to one thing at once, obviously, but I think it would be good enough to be useful.

Tap on the exterior temp and have it briefly display the interior temp for 2-3 seconds, then back to exterior. Sometimes I want the cabin warmer/colder, but I’m not sure what to set it at because I’m not sure what the interior temp is. It can feel a lot warmer than it actually is if you’re wearing a heavy coat, were just exercising, etc.

Tap on the exterior temp and have it briefly display the interior temp for 2-3 seconds, then back to exterior. Sometimes I want the cabin warmer/colder, but I’m not sure what to set it at because I’m not sure what the interior temp is. It can feel a lot warmer than it actually is if you’re wearing a heavy coat, were just exercising, etc.
That’s a good one! And it fits perfectly with the title of this thread. Nice job. The fact that this data can be readily seen in the app, but not in the car itself, is kind of silly.

I would like to be able to change the language of the Dog Mode screen.
I live in France, but prefer to keep the operating system in English...but I need the Dog Mode screen to be in French so that the public can see the dog is well cared for.

Reactions: OxBrew