Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make sure your settings are correct.

I tested my lights in the driveway at night and I noticed while turning the wheel to the left/right the adaptive lights would turn on similarly to Bjorn video. You should notice a difference

View attachment 266648

Thank you! I literally just ran out to my car to check the settings, and determined that my car does not even have that option! Service is currently looking into it.

Thank you! I literally just ran out to my car to check the settings, and determined that my car does not even have that option! Service is currently looking into it.
There are two settings that Tesla needs to do. One is a configuration that can be done OTA, and another one is a configuration to the body module that must be done by plugging into the vehicle directly.

I'm utterly dumbfounded and very much not pleased by this whole situation. I just got off the phone with my service center, and was told that it looks like my car didn't come with the exterior lighting package, so there's no way for them to turn on my adaptive headlights. I was told that the reason for that is because it requires a different wiring harness that my car didn't come with. I'm torn on the reason given, because I can sort of see it being plausible, but my gut is screaming "bullshit!" and I'm not sure which is correct.

They took my car apart, pulled my old headlights out, put my new headlights in, and drove it around to (I'm assuming) ensure that everything was functional (I had them fix my mis-aligned steering wheel as well). They had my car for roughly 8 hours, and in that time no one noticed that my shiny new adaptive headlights wouldn't actually work? And then they signed off on the work being completed without checking to see if they actually worked? What the hell, Tesla?

Am I clearly missing something and/or being the unreasonable one here? Anyways, that's my rant. I hope things go smoother for everyone else waiting on their retrofit.

I'm utterly dumbfounded and very much not pleased by this whole situation. I just got off the phone with my service center, and was told that it looks like my car didn't come with the exterior lighting package, so there's no way for them to turn on my adaptive headlights. I was told that the reason for that is because it requires a different wiring harness that my car didn't come with. I'm torn on the reason given, because I can sort of see it being plausible, but my gut is screaming "bullshit!" and I'm not sure which is correct.

They took my car apart, pulled my old headlights out, put my new headlights in, and drove it around to (I'm assuming) ensure that everything was functional (I had them fix my mis-aligned steering wheel as well). They had my car for roughly 8 hours, and in that time no one noticed that my shiny new adaptive headlights wouldn't actually work? And then they signed off on the work being completed without checking to see if they actually worked? What the hell, Tesla?

Am I clearly missing something and/or being the unreasonable one here? Anyways, that's my rant. I hope things go smoother for everyone else waiting on their retrofit.

If you have the correct lights installed and they work except for the adaptive feature, I recommend you try this: Another Tesla Screw-up? (Three-position dynamic LED Turning Light)

This is how I got mine running.

• Helpful
Reactions: arcus
If you have the correct lights installed and they work except for the adaptive feature, I recommend you try this: Another Tesla Screw-up? (Three-position dynamic LED Turning Light)

This is how I got mine running.

Thanks for this! I supposedly have a ticket open with the "Regional Leadership team" to try to resolve my issues, but they're pretty non-responsive at this point. If I don't hear back in a reasonable amount of time, I'll give your process a shot.

My car is a12/7/17 delivery. I have the adaptive lights but they are pretty much useless. I tested at a standstill and you can see the light pattern get wider. It seems to just work based on steering wheel angle. When driving, you actually have to really look for them. I noticed it taking one of those 360* off ramps from the freeway but its want anything worth getting excited about.

• Informative
Reactions: bnsfengineer
Settings -> Vehicle -> it will be to the right of "Headlights on Park"

If you have the right lights but no setting, then you need to do the following:

1. Have Tesla Engineering (just call customer support) enable the "curved lighting" option in your vehicle profile in their database

2. They will then push an OTA (not a firmware patch) to your car which will enable the setting

3. Take your car to the local SC and have them run a tool box body controller update

Then you will have working adaptive lights.

I had mine installed yesterday. They waited around 30 minutes after the install for an engineer to try to push the config change. But no one was available, so I had to drive it home. Later that day they remotely pushed the config change. I verified my car had the setting now. I put the car in drive, moved the wheel left and right, nothing. I rebooted the MCU, repeated test, nothing. I shut down the entire car for 5 minutes, repeated test, nothing. I called the service center and they claimed that the car must be moving at least 19-23 mph for them to turn on (?!?!!??), and said I should check on some roads at night to make sure, and that they would have some people working on the weekend in case it wasn't working.

I noticed this post after I verified they still aren't working even at speed, so I had to wait until today to contact them. I brought it by today with this information about the body control module needing updated. The lead tech checked it and said everything looks good to him -- the service advisor told me once again that, according to his knowledge, the latest firmware requires you to be at speed, and that it should push changes to the body control module, so everything should be working. I just tested it again and it's not working.... UGH.

Can anyone verify that indeed the adaptive lights turn on while just in drive, sitting still, with the latest firmware?

I had mine installed yesterday. They waited around 30 minutes after the install for an engineer to try to push the config change. But no one was available, so I had to drive it home. Later that day they remotely pushed the config change. I verified my car had the setting now. I put the car in drive, moved the wheel left and right, nothing. I rebooted the MCU, repeated test, nothing. I shut down the entire car for 5 minutes, repeated test, nothing. I called the service center and they claimed that the car must be moving at least 19-23 mph for them to turn on (?!?!!??), and said I should check on some roads at night to make sure, and that they would have some people working on the weekend in case it wasn't working.

I noticed this post after I verified they still aren't working even at speed, so I had to wait until today to contact them. I brought it by today with this information about the body control module needing updated. The lead tech checked it and said everything looks good to him -- the service advisor told me once again that, according to his knowledge, the latest firmware requires you to be at speed, and that it should push changes to the body control module, so everything should be working. I just tested it again and it's not working.... UGH.

Can anyone verify that indeed the adaptive lights turn on while just in drive, sitting still, with the latest firmware?
Once you turn on the settings, the car must be in drive. It works for me in the garage at 0 mph, but the body module had to be configured in person, not OTA.

Once you turn on the settings, the car must be in drive. It works for me in the garage at 0 mph, but the body module had to be configured in person, not OTA.

This is my experience as well. If you go into the controls, you will also see the adaptive lights turn on/off in the render of your car as you turn the steering wheel. Also, if you put the car into reverse, all 6 lights turn on.

Yes, I went to the service center and the lead tech looked at the body control module and said it was fine. Nothing working still. Do you know what they did to the body control module?

All I got from my SC manager was, "We ran a body control module function" which enabled the lights. Have your SC call the one in Dallas.

Reactions: Utahken
I have done some testing on my "nov 2017 build" S 75D with PUP, here are my observations.

Cornering Lights:
When the car is in drive and you start turning the wheel, the "cornering LEDs" light up in the following order A1 -A2 - A3 - Fog Light*
The LEDs are gradually illuminating, not just 4 separate steps. This is possible both with Low-beam and High-beam.
When returning the wheel to centre position the "cornering LEDs" are gradually dimming, in the order A3 - Fog Light - A2 - A1*
*Headlight LED labeling

Model S Owners Maunal
When low beam headlights are turned on and when driving at lower speeds, AFS improves lateral illumination to increase the visibility of pedestrians and curbs, and to improve visibility when turning at a dark intersection, into a driveway, or when making a u-turn.

Based on my observations the corneing light functioning according to the description on the Tesla Webpage and the Model S Owners manual.
Lateral illumination meaning "sideways" or "from the side" is exactly what the cornering part of the Adaptive Front Lighting System.
The only dfference I found is the cornering light is working with both low and high beam on, but Owners manual only stating low beam.

Automatically adjusts beam of headlights:
During my testing on a winding road without streetlights, I have not been able to observe any automatically adjustment of the light beam (both low and high beam has been tested) According to the manual the lightbeam should be cast to the direction of the curve based on velocity, steering input and rotation of the vehicle.

Model S Owners Maunal
The Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) automatically adjusts the beam of the headlights to improve your driving view. Electric sensors measure driving speed, steering angle and yaw (the rotation of the car around the vertical axis) to determine the optimum position of the headlights based on current driving conditions. For example, to improve visibility while driving on winding roads at night, the AFS casts the beam in the direction of the curve.

Based on my observations the "Automatically adjust beam of headlights" is not functioning while driving on curved/winding roads at speed. The effect of lightbeam is not present or so minicule that I'm not able to observe the effect of the beam turning.

-Does anyone have other experiences with the AFS function that differ with mine?
-Am I missing some hardware or software for the automatic turning of the beam? (Adaptive Headlights is on in my settings)
-If "Cornering lights" is the only function og the AFS, the Owners Maual Page 52 and Tesla Webpage is straigh out lying, as they are describing two different functions of AFS, one for lareral lighting in corneing and one for turning the beam into curves.

• Informative
Reactions: James* and arcus
TL;DR: Fully working retro-fitted 3 LED Headlights!

I wanted to provide an update on my 3-LED headlight retro-fit. As background, I was one of the early folks who noticed that non-PUP cars delivered in the Sep-Dec 2017 time frame were not fitted with what should have been standard 3-LED Adaptive headlights. After the early confusion and several mixed and conflicting messages from Tesla, it was finally acknowledged that these cars were missing the correct headlights and Tesla was working on a program to retro-fit them.

I had taken delivery in September, but waited patiently for the official retro-fit. Sometime in early December, I enquired via Executive Escalation about the status and schedule of the retro-fit. I received a response from Tesla acknowledging the issue and that someone from the local SC would be contacting me. I received a call within a day or two, and the SA said that he had ordered the parts for my car and would schedule an appointment when they came in. The appointment was scheduled for yesterday, and today I now have working 3-LED Adaptive Headlights!

As some extra information, I think this is the first retro-fit done by my SC as the technician was not totally familiar with it when I brought the car in. After my explaination and his looking into it, he said there was some communication from corporate about this. In light of some of the other experiences of other owners, I wanted to make sure they were aware of the full procedure on how to enable the lights, so I forwarded them the instructions from one of these forums, i.e. OTA config update first, followed by Body Control Module update. I'm not sure if they needed it or not, but I wanted my car back quickly with no complications so I saw no harm in making sure they had as much information as possible. I made sure they verified the correct working of the lights before I went to pick it up and they did indeed do that.

So, the way the adaptive lights work is that if you are in drive and the headlights are on, turning the wheel progressively first turns on the outermost LED, followed by the middle, and then the innermost LED. The extra fog light cornering LED (only present on the S, not X), which we DID get, then finally turns on last. The top 3 LEDs also turn on when you engage reverse, or if you engage the respective turn signal.

Hope that helps and hope the more widespread retro-fit begins soon for the rest of the affected folks!

Last edited:
TL;DR: Fully working retro-fitted 3 LED Headlights!

I wanted to provide an update on my 3-LED headlight retro-fit. As background, I was one of the early folks who noticed that non-PUP cars delivered in the Sep-Dec 2017 time frame were not fitted with what should have been standard 3-LED Adaptive headlights. After the early confusion and several mixed and conflicting messages from Tesla, it was finally acknowledged that these cars were missing the correct headlights and Tesla was working on a program to retro-fit them.

I had taken delivery in September, but waited patiently for the official retro-fit. Sometime in early December, I enquired via Executive Escalation about the status and schedule of the retro-fit. I received a response from Tesla acknowledging the issue and that someone from the local SC would be contacting me. I received a call within a day or two, and the SA said that he had ordered the parts for my car and would schedule an appointment when they came in. The appointment was scheduled for yesterday, and today I now have working 3-LED Adaptive Headlights!

As some extra information, I think this is the first retro-fit done by my SC as the technician was not totally familiar with it when I brought the car in. After my explaination and his looking into it, he said there was some communication from corporate about this. In light of some of the other experiences of other owners, I wanted to make sure they were aware of the full procedure on how to enable the lights, so I forwarded them the instructions from one of these forums, i.e. OTA config update first, followed by Body Control Module update. I'm not sure if they needed it or not, but I wanted my car back quickly with no complications so I saw no harm in making sure they had as much information as possible. I made sure they verified the correct working of the lights before I went to pick it up and they did indeed do that.

So, the way the adaptive lights work is that if you are in drive and the headlights are on, turning the wheel progressively first turns on the outermost LED, followed by the middle, and then the innermost LED. The extra fog light cornering LED (only present on the S, not X), which we DID get, then finally turns on last. The top 3 LEDs also turn on when you engage reverse, or if you engage the respective turn signal.

Hope that helps and hope the more widespread retro-fit begins soon for the rest of the affected folks!

I haven't heard anything from my SC yet. Still waiting and 7k miles in

I

-Does anyone have other experiences with the AFS function that differ with mine?
-Am I missing some hardware or software for the automatic turning of the beam? (Adaptive Headlights is on in my settings)
-If "Cornering lights" is the only function og the AFS, the Owners Maual Page 52 and Tesla Webpage is straigh out lying, as they are describing two different functions of AFS, one for lareral lighting in corneing and one for turning the beam into curves.
Having just got my adaptive lights and testing them out in my garage, I can confirm that the A1, A2, A3 LEDs are really not that bright and probably don't add that much to the headlight beam. I will find out more tonight when I can test it in actual use. On the S, there is an additional cornering LED in the fog light, that is more noticeable when you are turning a corner, as it illuminates closer to the car.

Most of us are here talking about the Adaptive Headlights not because they are so great, but because we didn't get them when we were supposed to.... ;)

Reactions: James*
Just for those interested, I compared my as-delivered options to my current options to see if any options changed after the retro-fit, and the only change was that I lost option X007 and now have option X008. I 'believe' X007 was Daylight Running Lights, which I obviously still have, so option X008 most likely encompasses that as well as the Adaptive Headllights...