Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TOCA Membership

Do you think TOCA is worth the dollars?

• Yes

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • No

Votes: 23 67.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One reason is to establish a legal entity with some "assets" that can sue and be sued. That way, TOCA and its members, when speaking for TOCA, are somewhat shielded in law from the remarks they may make when promoting EVs if they get a bit "enthusiastic", shall we say?

One reason is to establish a legal entity with some "assets" that can sue and be sued. That way, TOCA and its members, when speaking for TOCA, are somewhat shielded in law from the remarks they may make when promoting EVs if they get a bit "enthusiastic", shall we say?
I've always stood as myself as I've found that type of 'protection' to be fickle at best.
BTW I'm representing EV kind on Thursday at Parliment house and I doubt TOCA will be there even in spirit.

I have recently received the following email from David Lloyd re TOCA (apologies to David for quoting him without his express approval).
This email exemplifies what my problems with TOCA are; specifically; TOTAL control by the annointed few who won't evan allow the unfettered democratic process to function.
BTW: I decided to not renew my TOCA membership (I'll stick to TMC, WhatsApp, Slack and just plain talking).

Dear TOCA member
You may have noticed none of my credentials for membership of the TOCA committee were mentioned in the AGM papers, unlike all the other nominees. The President has refused to pass on my response , so I am listing a few of these and my objectives below.
I started the informal WA Tesla Owners group , which now has 60 members out of about 90 cars. We communicate continually on Slack and I try to meet each new owner to demonstrate charging cables etc. I initiated and maintain ( with 2 others) a database of Tesla WA owners and spotted cars which is open to all our group. I started loan adaptor schemes in Perth. We have regular meetings and drives. All of this was before TOCA existed, but they have continued these policies and in fact TOCA bought out most of our sharing loan adaptors to form their pool in WA. We therefore have the highest percentage of TOCA owners to cars of any state.
In addition I have arranged charging points, personally negotiating donation of about twenty 3 phase sockets and arranging installations of about 15 Tesla destination chargers.
Further I negotiated that Synergy supply us with 50 sockets to cover all main roads in WA to a 100kms grid and that Horizon Power trial Electric Vehicle charging spaces in the Kimberley. This has meant we have been able to reach agreements to complete the WA section of the Round Australia Route, before TOCA even agreed to join the scheme.
I am negotiating further installations of charging points with other large organisations.
Finally I have just started the first Tesla limousine service in Perth with my old S85, in order to expose more people to the joys of Tesla.
Unfortunately our WA group has increasingly questioned the support and value of TOCA membership and no positive response to my warnings has been received. Therefore TOCWA has been formed and the inaugural committee signed up this week (with me as Secretary). It is my intention, as I have made clear to TOCA, to negotiate a good working relationship with them.
If I am elected to the TOCA committee my objectives are:
A To ensure TOCA and TOCWA work together on relevant issues and not in conflict (The objects of TOCWA are similar to those TOCA intend to adopt).
B To reduce fees and/or increase expenditure on worthwhile projects instead of building up such large bank balances.
C To ensure outlying States have proper representation by a member of their own choice (not one selected by TOCA –the centre should listen to what the members think).
D To encourage more open discussion, less bureaucracy and faster decision making on the committee (TOCA slack traffic has been up to 91% private direct messages and an officer has even issued an instruction to this effect!).

If you believe in the same objectives please vote for me for the TOCA committee.

One of our members has said the following to Jude after the change to exclude committee members who belong to two groups, from the first attempt to exclude all ordinary members.

Thank you for your telephone call Jude to explain how the wording was changed.
The proposal to exclude committee of other clubs etc does not change my position.
In fact I sincerely believe that our national body should welcome state members whether they be committee members or not. Our national organisation should welcome on its committee someone from AEVA and someone from the likes of the clean energy council.
I will be voting against the proposal.

If you think the same please vote against this Rule change.

Regards David Lloyd

Reactions: mike_j
I have recently received the following email from David Lloyd re TOCA (apologies to David for quoting him without his express approval).
This email exemplifies what my problems with TOCA are; specifically; TOTAL control by the annointed few who won't evan allow the unfettered democratic process to function.
BTW: I decided to not renew my TOCA membership (I'll stick to TMC, WhatsApp, Slack and just plain talking).

Dear TOCA member
You may have noticed none of my credentials for membership of the TOCA committee were mentioned in the AGM papers, unlike all the other nominees. The President has refused to pass on my response , so I am listing a few of these and my objectives below.
I started the informal WA Tesla Owners group , which now has 60 members out of about 90 cars. We communicate continually on Slack and I try to meet each new owner to demonstrate charging cables etc. I initiated and maintain ( with 2 others) a database of Tesla WA owners and spotted cars which is open to all our group. I started loan adaptor schemes in Perth. We have regular meetings and drives. All of this was before TOCA existed, but they have continued these policies and in fact TOCA bought out most of our sharing loan adaptors to form their pool in WA. We therefore have the highest percentage of TOCA owners to cars of any state.
In addition I have arranged charging points, personally negotiating donation of about twenty 3 phase sockets and arranging installations of about 15 Tesla destination chargers.
Further I negotiated that Synergy supply us with 50 sockets to cover all main roads in WA to a 100kms grid and that Horizon Power trial Electric Vehicle charging spaces in the Kimberley. This has meant we have been able to reach agreements to complete the WA section of the Round Australia Route, before TOCA even agreed to join the scheme.
I am negotiating further installations of charging points with other large organisations.
Finally I have just started the first Tesla limousine service in Perth with my old S85, in order to expose more people to the joys of Tesla.
Unfortunately our WA group has increasingly questioned the support and value of TOCA membership and no positive response to my warnings has been received. Therefore TOCWA has been formed and the inaugural committee signed up this week (with me as Secretary). It is my intention, as I have made clear to TOCA, to negotiate a good working relationship with them.
A To ensure TOCA and TOCWA work together on relevant issues and not in conflict (The objects of TOCWA are similar to those TOCA intend to adopt).
B To reduce fees and/or increase expenditure on worthwhile projects instead of building up such large bank balances.
C To ensure outlying States have proper representation by a member of their own choice (not one selected by TOCA –the centre should listen to what the members think).
D To encourage more open discussion, less bureaucracy and faster decision making on the committee (TOCA slack traffic has been up to 91% private direct messages and an officer has even issued an instruction to this effect!).

If you believe in the same objectives please vote for me for the TOCA committee.

One of our members has said the following to Jude after the change to exclude committee members who belong to two groups, from the first attempt to exclude all ordinary members.

The proposal to exclude committee of other clubs etc does not change my position.
In fact I sincerely believe that our national body should welcome state members whether they be committee members or not. Our national organisation should welcome on its committee someone from AEVA and someone from the likes of the clean energy council.

Regards David Lloyd
I've received the same email and agree with all his points.

The proposal to exclude committee of other clubs has me stumped, and seems completely counter-productive. FWIW I did stay on as an associate for another year...more as a donation to a hopefully worthy cause. I had no concept this kind of shenanigans was going on until this email arrived however.

standards.png

Dear TOCA member

Regards David Lloyd

There's a number of champions for Tesla and electric cars in general across Australia, David Lloyd is right up there at the top, he's highly respected amongst WA Tesla owners and AEVA members, while some people procrastinate and bluster this bloke just gets on with business.

Reactions: raynewman
It appears my TOCA membership has already expired. Can anyone think of a reason to renew this?
All interactions with other Tesla owners are done on TMC (here), Tesla Australia (Slack) and Tesla Queensland (WhatsApp).

I think, unless someone has a good reason for me to cough up more dollars, I'll just let it lapse.

Got nothin' Ray. But considering i'm in WA maybe i'm a little biased...

Dear TOCA member

Regards David Lloyd

"Unfettered democratic process" means any member can put a proposal to the AGM and it has to then be voted. This is what has been done. Since you are no longer a member I guess you can't be part of that process.

Well, I've not been a member of TOCA, but I have been a member of AEVA. In (brutal) summary, I found the AEVA membership (almost) a waste of money, (but also consider it a donation to a good cause), and have discovered (as with many other things these days) that useful sharing of information online is the best course of action. This leads to person to person contacts and practical interactions, where relevant and necessary, not just because a "club meeting" is about to occur or some such thing. Does anyone suggest that a "club" is of more use in some way? If so, then I've yet to see it with AEVA or TOCA. Online groups like this one are much more immediate and useful, but my mind is open to anyone who can suggest to me a physical imperative in the so-called "real" world for a club, and I don't mean just for organising a nice drive in the country somewhere (which we can do online as well).

What I mainly see when I look at TOCA (I'm not a committee member but I am a subcommittee member so I get a closer view than most) is a bunch of people working hard for members and the Tesla and EV communities generally.

Some examples ...
  • There have been close to 50 events put on by TOCA in the last 18 months including a TOCA trip to Alice Springs and very successful stall at the Eco Fair (2 Teslas and 3 TOCA members, not just me - this would not have happened without TOCA's support (and insurance cover)). 50 events do not just happen without genuine effort. Good on the state coordinators in particular !
  • Adapter loan program
  • The Round Australia Charging arose directly from the TOCA January Bowral meetup and follow-on costed proposal, then AEVA WA's support, TOCA's March 3 resolution to endorse and fund, and AEVA's matching national resolution on April 22. TOCA's role has been integral here not just a "join in". The route grows ever closer to completion with a number of TOCA (and AEVA) members working on different areas - eastern Victoria, WA of course, and the Red Centre link which is now part of the project. Tomorrow we hope to add Barrow Creek, Friday Tennant Creek, and Coober Pedy any day to Plugshare. I'm hoping we can have an Alice Springs AGM - maybe next year, and build the community and momentum further.
  • Member discounts
  • All the other things further up this thread.
  • More in the pipeline
  • The opportunity to contribute to something worthwhile
20170813_135247.jpg

A TOCA/AEVA outlet to Rex - Alice Springs Town Council CEO at the Eco Fair.

Sure there are disagreements from time to time and there are always two sides. But let's not forget what we are here for. It's about Teslas, sustainability and community. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater !

Last edited:
Reactions: *KT* and meloccom
Unfortunately I must again correct you Richard. I seconded the Round Oz scheme with you at Bowral and then there was an interminable debate amongst the various bureaucracies at TOCA and approval to finally go ahead was not given until June. By this time our Aeva Synergy group in WA had reached agreements for installation to complete the route in WA ( about half of Oz). TOCA had nothing to do with this half.
It is this poor decision making and bureaucracy I would like to change if I get a mandate to do so. David Lloyd TOCA committee candidate.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike_j
A lot of volunteers at TOCA are putting really constructive effort in and getting results. At the risk of arguing a bit, I think that deserves to be recognised.

In the context of the Round Australia Charging Route ...
  • TOCA did pretty well to have a site-by-site costed plan for the Round Australia Route, budget and decision to proceed by March 3. Good on the TOCA Committee for working through and finalising the plan. One AEVA Exec member commented on how quickly TOCA reached the decision. For the TOCA/AEVA joint venture to proceed, approval of AEVA's National Council was required and this happened at the next AEVA National Council meeting on April 22.
  • Thereafter the major items were (1) assessment of suppliers of 3 phase outlets (thanks Michael Day, Electrical Engineer and AEVA Treasurer for working this through to a resolution) and (2) insurance - Yes AEVA were (unlike TOCA) prepared to press on uninsured, but thanks to Phillip Feller (TOCA Secretary) we secured liability cover for TOCA at ZERO extra cost ! ! This was a fantastic effort, and yes it did take some weeks. You don't just buy "3 phase outlet supply insurance" over the counter. We are not a big customer of the insurer and negotiating something so out of the ordinary was pretty cool indeed.
  • Then on with the job!
TOCA volunteers have busy lives and have to put family and job first. From my perspective, I am very impressed at what gets achieved.