Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery this Friday! - Question about my software version.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, first post here but I've been lurking around for a few months already!

Just wanted to share my new car, and also see if you guys can answer a question I have about it...

So I took delivery of the car Friday evening, and I'm quite familiar with most of the new features and software updates, but I just realized I don't have Sentry Mode as an option at all. My car currently has the 2019.7.106 firmware on it and I think we're at 2019.16? Was wondering if there's a way to get that software update pushed manually or do I have to bring it in to Tesla to get it updated?

LGZ57Kv.jpg

IbgpuPs.jpg

Have patience and attach your WiFi. OTA software updates appear somewhat mysteriously but come faster to people with WiFi at home.

If you are really impatient you can probably get the folks that delivered it to push an update. They will do that if there's some service reason to do so.

Try calling the Tesla service line or do an online chat. Also have heard of success by scheduling a service appointment for 'software update'.... Your situation is unique - you should be able to get an update on request

This is a good opportunity to set up WiFi wherever you park your car. Once you do that, you'll find that you get updates pretty regularly. Very difficult to know when you will be scheduled for a particular update, but a strong WiFi signal wherever you park your car will help ensure you get regular updates.

I too bothered my service center when the car was very new and it was clear they were inundated with such requests. They were very polite about explaining I would be happiest if I set up WiFi in my garage - and they were right. My WiFi wouldn't make it out to the garage (or at least the Tesla did not see it), so I purchased a couple Powerline Ethernet adapters (one for the house, one for the garage), then installed a WiFi access point in the garage within about 10 feet of my Tesla. BTW, my first access point was 802.11AC and that did not work (too new, I guess): I had to downgrade to 802.11b/g and then the Tesla was happy.

what I took delivery of mine exactly a month ago, I was too software versions behind. I called Tesla, I chatted with Tesla, nothing. I even called the local service center and they said no everything's good.

I went I think a week and a half and there was another new software version and I still didn't have the one from two ago. I called the local service center and spoke to a different person who said oh yeah your car's way behind let me fix that for you. 20 minutes later I had my car updated. Since then I've received two updates without intervention.

I think with brand new cars it takes a while for the system to find it and for to get in the queue. I'd wait a few days call the local service center and politely ask if they can check and see if you're due for an update and if they can push it.

Have patience and attach your WiFi. OTA software updates appear somewhat mysteriously but come faster to people with WiFi at home.

If you are really impatient you can probably get the folks that delivered it to push an update. They will do that if there's some service reason to do so.
Please don’t make up service issues to try to get an update. They roll out in batches. v12 has been glitchy. v16 seems ok. You’ll get it. Glitchy updates stop getting pushed.

Hey Mark L., just connect your car to WiFi at home and wait. You’ll get an update. Could be tomorrow, next week, or a month from now. I’m willing to bet it will be sooner than later.

Once you get to 16.1 or higher, you’ll be able to use the toggle switch in the software menu to receive updates as soon as they’re available.

Portland delivery center downloaded latest software before I picked mine up. I thought that was the norm.
I guess not.
Thank you, Brandon!

Yes, they are supposed to make sure the car is updated and fully charged before you pick it up. When I picked mine up in Jacksonville, FL they had it fully updated and it was charged and still plugged in sitting in the delivery room waiting for me to pick it up. I wasn't impressed with the detailing of the car but that was not worth spending more time waiting to pull out of the SC.

Dude, totally off topic from your question, but let me say... what fantastic pics! Love the composition!

Woah, thanks for that kind words! I'll shoot more, but those were actually stills from my video

And to everyone else saying to connect to WI-Fi or open a support ticket. I did, and fingers crossed something will pop up on my phone soon. The earliest I can set an appointment at my local Tesla center is Jun 17 which is ways away from now.

Last question, will I still be able to receive these software updates even if I didn't have wifi but only have LTE connection? I live in an apartment complex and my garage obviously doesn't have wifi so it's a bit hard to achieve that lol.

Last question, will I still be able to receive these software updates even if I didn't have wifi but only have LTE connection? I live in an apartment complex and my garage obviously doesn't have wifi so it's a bit hard to achieve that lol.

I think the answer is that YMMV. Given how Tesla is in massive cost control mode, it stands to reason that they won’t be pushing out updates over metered connections they pay the bill for (aka cellular/LTE). I think the best advice here is to find an open hotspot in your community and leverage it periodically. Try the local library or Tesla Service Center if you have one of those nearby. Others who have unlimited data plans on their phones have also had success tethering their car to their personal hotspot from their phone.