Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totalled my S today....so I confirmed my Model 3 First Production order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking possible suicide. Or just a terrible time to text on his phone. He seemed coherent, but he made comments that a lot of things were going on in his life and he was a bit messed up.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I remember seeing him, swerving to try and miss and then BANG airbags everywhere. A few passerby were amazed we were both OK. He was probably lucky he was in a Mercedes, another very safe car.

Going to head to the tow yard tomorrow to delete my info on the car and gather any remaining belongings (the car was still powered up when they loaded it on the the tow truck). Will get to test out my Ameriprise coverage with this. I went ahead and placed the 3 order so that can proceed while the insurance works itself out. I can't imagine any resolution other than a total.

I was in an accident years ago with an uninsured motorist and I have Ameriprise. I hit the guy in a t-bone fashion because he turned left in front of me. My pickup truck (at the time) had a damaged bumper hood and lights and grill, but that's it. Airbags did not deploy. His car, on the other hand (nissan maxima) was about 18 inches narrower.

Anyway, I claimed it on my insurance and Ameriprise took care of almost everything. They fixed my truck, and then they sued the guy for covering my car. I started by paying my 500 deductible and they refunded about half of that when they recovered their money.

I only had some out of pocket because I didn't have rental coverage (it cost me $600 for the week), and I had to replace 3 tires that they didn't replace ($500), plus the initial ($500) deductible.

Good luck and I'm glad you are safe. The car is replaceable.

With the new suite of sensors in new Tesla’s, would that crash be caught in some form without a dash cam? Would Tesla release that info if requested? Your dash cam video answers many questions typically seen in crashes... just wondering out loud, now that we know both of you essentially walked away from that crash.

This is a very interesting question that Tesla should answer. I'm sure Tesla would not want to be 'bothered' with legal requests like this where their system data would be used as evidence as that might pull them into court to answer technical questions about their systems (which may also force them to divulge proprietary information). At the end of the day, it's probably our responsibility to install dash cams. I'm now also in the market for one. I certainly would be interested in recommendations from the forum. What I hate about the ones that I've seen is the need for a continual power supply and the resulting need for ugly wires (Tesla – hint – why not put a USB port at the rear of the rear view mirror!).

Im so glad you're ok Az_Real. I used to live in Valencia and frequented Bouquet Canyon. That's a road that requires more attention. Great job swerving! What part of the canyon did this happen?

Getting the 3 is a great idea and awesome Tesla are letting you change your invitation preference. Will you get red?

Like many, reading this makes me want a front and rear dash cam, but I so dont want to have to install anything in my X, like running power wires to the OBD port etc. It occurred to me the car already has multiple front and rear video cameras, and probably has a loop recorder of some sort also. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla use the video in their own forensics after crashes. Would be great if they could make the video available to the owner.

This is a very interesting question that Tesla should answer. I'm sure Tesla would not want to be 'bothered' with legal requests like this where their system data would be used as evidence as that might pull them into court to answer technical questions about their systems (which may also force them to divulge proprietary information). At the end of the day, it's probably our responsibility to install dash cams. I'm now also in the market for one. I certainly would be interested in recommendations from the forum. What I hate about the ones that I've seen is the need for a continual power supply and the resulting need for ugly wires (Tesla – hint – why not put a USB port at the rear of the rear view mirror!).

Chevrolet offered an option for a factory installed dash cam with recording starting in 2015 Corvettes. Give the owner access to the video data so Tesla corporate doesn't have to be bothered with frequent requests (or subpoenas) for it.
https://jalopnik.com/corvette-dash-cam-catches-valet-hitting-50-mph-in-gara-1671461447

Reactions: Ulmo
Wow!! Glad you're okay.

I think I'm on the distracted driving/texting bandwagon - you can see in the video that he's coming off of a right hand turn in the road, and it wouldn't take much distracted time for the turn to have been incomplete and bring him over into your lane. As added evidence of that, I don't see him actively turning the car at any point during the video - it's one straight path diagonally across your lane with very unfortunate timing.

Not sure what would have happened under AP in it's current form - I think the most likely result would be it slamming on the brakes fairly early in the event - which it looks like would have resulted in a more or less fully head-on hit at a lower speed (possibly just the speed of the oncoming car.)

Given the other car's actions and timing, there aren't a lot of ways out of this one. Glad you're okay. Good luck with the Model 3. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo

wk057 demonstrated that AP1 cars were keeping a limited video record of crash events, and I expect AP2 is keeping a better one. Elon tweeted that AP2 cars would be getting some kind of Dashcam functionality at some point in the future:

Elon Musk on Twitter

Having said that, I've read of a number of people trying to get log information from Tesla, and I have yet to read of one succeeding with that. Hopefully it'll become more common in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865 and Ulmo
Its easy to switch - we find it ok when driving in Europe etc and driving in Hawaii last year was ok.

Offtopic...
Going to the US->UK is generally fine for being on the other side of the road for most people, unless you're starting a drive in the middle of the night there are enough other cars around for you to automatically know where you should be. The problem I see most people have is being on the wrong side of the lane. You're used to seeing | X ... | and now you're seeing | ... X | so you unconsciously start drifting left. It only takes a short period of time to adjust though. Maybe a separate thread on the topic would be good, with tips on what people are likely to experience as unusual.

Ontopic....
Great job swerving to make the impact much smaller than it could have been. You could well have saved his life, you certainly reduced the injuries on both yourself and him. I hope my reactions are as good if it ever comes to it.

Another great example of why a dash cam is well worth the money, being able to definitely show what happened is awesome.

No question he was at fault. The no insurance part, well I left CA 15 years ago, the legal environment punishes those that follow the law there more than those that break it. Hit an illegal, no license & insurance driver who made a fool move once, he got a ticket & walked away (never showed for court), I got stuck with the bill.

Too bad about the car, I love mine. Had someone blow a stop sign and hit me last week in a different vehicle. I think other drivers are jealous and enjoy kamikaziing Teslas.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: vinnie97 and T34ME
Glad you weren't harmed. Kudos on your driving skills...I watched the video a few times and given the minimal reaction time possible after it looked like the car was coming at you, you did a great job of doing your best to avoid a head on collision.

Reactions: Phlier
Just saw this in the trending posts, it's amazing how much damage can be done in just a split second. FWIW, you did the right thing to veer away, not that human instinct would allow you to do anything different. Head-on at a closing speed of 100mph+ would be much more traumatic for your body. Glad you're ok...looks to me like the other car was an SLK, with some ugly mods.

I just noticed his car rotated a bit to the right side.

I’ve personally seen an ICE sedan roll over with that kind of angle (hitting a parked car no less). They are surprisingly easy to roll over.

Sorry but I'm going to have to stick to my guns on this one despite your anecdotal evidence. Rollovers only happen in 3% of serious collisions and SUVs are far more likely to rollover than a sedan.