Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received two more emails today. The first one was "Your Model S Configuration Change". The second about an hour later "Document has been posted to your MyTesla". The document is titled "delivery configuration", which is yet another (third?) listing of my P85D config. I did make a change from gloss to matte, but that was done a few weeks ago and I had already received a confirmation of that change. So I have no idea what this "change" was. The one difference is the delivery configuration lists 10/9 as the electronically confirmed date, whereas the earlier version listed 10/24, the date of the re-confirm when the options changed.

Who knows...

A

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh, just noticed this article..

http://www.bidnessetc.com/29315-tesla-motors-tsla-revs-up-discounts-on-model-s/1/

The article gets a few things wrong:

1/ P85D starting delivery in Feb. No, it's December.
2/ The new autopilot etc features are available with the 2015 Model S. No, it's available now, and has been delivering since October with 2014 Model S.

I don't plan on selling my P85D any time soon, but I sure hope resale doesn't become a problem for the handful of 2014 P85D's. "It isn't one of the new models".

Got a call from the Mothership a little while ago.

They were wondering what my plans are for winter tires as the tires that D comes won't fare well in the winter :) Said the car should be here in about a month! Once again falling along the same time frame I've been working with all along... lets hope it stays true to course!

I've got my Tesla 19's on order (were supposed to arrive last week) and have my Nokian R2s waiting... got a buyer (2 in fact) for the stock Pirellis.

As for the documents to be signed... I'll echo what someone else above posted, from my understanding that'll come closer to when the car is actually here.

You realize you can order a set of standard 19" rims and TPMS for $1400 now. Probably saves you money over selling the Pirellis.

I'd looked into this previously and here in Canada the pricing was whacky... it actually made sense to purchase the whole winter package and sell off the rubber separately. Yeah, it made no sense to me either!
But this was before the whole pricing change! Thanks for the reminder! I'll shoot an email out and see what the cost of purchasing just the rims is.

No additional documents yet and i believe the timing of next documents might be DS dependent and possibly depending on financing arrangements.
I asked Tesla if I ordered my own wheels/tires from tire rack and had them delivered to the vancouver service center, if they would swap them;however, they refused. As it happens I'm keeping my winter tires from my old car now as they only had a couple of months on them - Rial Luganos and blizzaks. I wanted the famous R2s that evy body raves about but they were sold out in February when I got my car. I'm sure blizzaks will be great with my new AWD.

Added.

So I'm still the only one doing Obeche gloss. Everyone else with Obeche is going matte. Is there something I don't know?

WHOOOA! I love Obeche Gloss - it holds a beautiful wood grain, deep in the sun, at once drawing in the tones of the leather and glossing to accent and match the touchscreen, harkens from its place in American History as the wood of the Gibson Guitar Fretboard, throws a subtle nod to Detroit in appreciation for a traditional finish, offsets the matte of the leather dash, and speaks of wood and grain, warmth and character, while carbon fiber watches over its plastic brim, wondering what it would be like to be...Obeche, Gloss.

So, I have the Obeche Gloss in my P1845 MS, as you might have guessed. Enjoy.

You realize you can order a set of standard 19" rims and TPMS for $1400 now. Probably saves you money over selling the Pirellis.
Wow, when did this change? Didn't new 19" tires + rims cost $4000 not too long ago? I remember I picked up an almost new set (~50 miles of usage) from someone for $2000, minus TPMS, and it was still a significant discount at the time.

Last edited:
WHOOOA! I love Obeche Gloss - it holds a beautiful wood grain, deep in the sun, at once drawing in the tones of the leather and glossing to accent and match the touchscreen, harkens from its place in American History as the wood of the Gibson Guitar Fretboard, throws a subtle nod to Detroit in appreciation for a traditional finish, offsets the matte of the leather dash, and speaks of wood and grain, warmth and character, while carbon fiber watches over its plastic brim, wondering what it would be like to be...Obeche, Gloss.

So, I have the Obeche Gloss in my P1845 MS, as you might have guessed. Enjoy.

Ironically, Andrew changed his config to Obeche Matte. But I appreciate your paean to Obeche Glossy, since that's my choice.

I believe the Roadster motors may have been built by a contract manufacturer, but for Model S Tesla brought it all in-house. Motors, inverters, and gearboxes are all built by Tesla in Fremont, CA.

Not according to this article:

æ￾¶Tesla商機 陸資入股富田 | 首é*￾ | 20140522 | Market Daily | news

Key points:

Fukuta Motor is the sole motor supplier for Tesla Motors. From the world's first electric sports car "Roadster" to the as-yet unreleased electric SUV "Model X", all of Tesla's motors are manufactured by Fukuta in Taichung, Taiwan. Fukuta supplied over 26,000 motors to Tesla in 2013 for use in its Model S cars, and to date has received orders for 42,000 motors.

I found this article with a little history and personal flavor

Why Did Taiwan Lose Tesla?
By Yuan Chou
From CommonWealth Magazine
Published: October 03, 2013 (No.532)

CommonWealth Magazine

It ends with "Fukuta's Gordon Chang, meanwhile, has gone ahead and invested nearly NT$100 million on a 365 square meter production and R&D center in the Fongjhou Technology Science-based Industrial Park just two kilometers from his company's headquarters, in preparation for taking orders on Tesla's upcoming Model X electric car. "You gotta do what you gotta do. Don't act, and you miss opportunities," he nods cheerfully."