Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WHOOOA! I love Obeche Gloss - it holds a beautiful wood grain, deep in the sun, at once drawing in the tones of the leather and glossing to accent and match the touchscreen, harkens from its place in American History as the wood of the Gibson Guitar Fretboard, throws a subtle nod to Detroit in appreciation for a traditional finish, offsets the matte of the leather dash, and speaks of wood and grain, warmth and character, while carbon fiber watches over its plastic brim, wondering what it would be like to be...Obeche, Gloss.

So, I have the Obeche Gloss in my P1845 MS, as you might have guessed. Enjoy.
wow, now I want obeche gloss, you must be in advertising.

DS said in his intro email that delivery window's Dec 17 - Dec 30. Will be out of town Dec 22 onwards through the new year; aargh... not sure the delivery will happen in time. Noted these dates with the DS but, no reply since.

My DS - Go Charles! - has made it happen: production has now been pushed up to early December so that the car would (should) be ready by 12/21.

Fabulous customer service as always!

Are you guys buying the $750 wall connector or just using the supplied charge cable that comes with the vehicle? Without a dual charger I don't see much of a difference in charge rate. Thoughts?

Many, many threads on this. If both are fed with 240v/50a, they will both provide 40a to the car. The charge rate will be identical. If the HPWC uses a circuit above above 40a, and the car has dual chargers, you will get a faster charge rate. The HPWC maxes out at 80a with a 100a circuit. At 240v/80a the charge rate will be twice that of the UMC at 240v/80a.

UMC = universal mobile connector. Comes with the car.

HPWC = high power wall connector.

The other advantage to buying the HPWC or a second UMC is you can keep a UMC in the car for emergencies. The HPWC also has fewer connection points and uses a thicker cable, and may be more durable. Time will tell.

My personal opinion is that if you have dual chargers and can supply the HPWC with a circuit above 50A at $750 it's definitely worth it. I have one and I paid ~$1250 for it. If you don't have dual chargers, then it's a bit of a toss up. I'd probably still buy the HPWC but you'll get many others on here who will tell you it's not necessary. Many have only the UMC and leave it plugged in in their garages.

Are you guys buying the $750 wall connector or just using the supplied charge cable that comes with the vehicle? Without a dual charger I don't see much of a difference in charge rate. Thoughts?

Pros and Cons of HPWC without dual charger ...

Pro:
Portable charger can permanently live in the car in case you need it on the road
Wall mounted Cable management arm to keep cables neater when not in use
Heavier duty cable that might last longer
Thicker gauge cable that will reduce resistive loss during charging at the maximum single-charger rate
Cost of HPWC is only slightly higher than a second UMC
Future proofing if you get a future Tesla with dual chargers, or have a friend stop by for a charge
You will likely mount this in exactly the correct place for easy charging, with a UMC you might be trying to re-use an existing outlet in an inconvenient location.

Cons:
Requires professional installation
Much larger
While the unit can be installed with a limited amperage (And therefore use a smaller cable), and this will work fine for your single charger setup ... If you set it up for it's full potential in case of a future car or a guest with dual chargers, it will require heavy gauge cable which may have practical space limitations. Will also require a 100A breaker for full speed charging for a dual charger vehicle, which may not be possible in your breaker panel. As I said above, you don't have to wire it up for full power, and you could just put it on a 50A breaker with much smaller gauge cable.
NEMA 14-50 may be perfectly fast enough, and much cheaper to install, even with a professional electrician, due to cheaper parts cost and less complexity.

Personally, I plan on getting the HPWC as soon as possible, but right now I am trying to sell my house, and not quite sure where I want to move yet, and there's no point in doing the work here -- so I probably will be living off of a UMC with 120V for at least a couple of months, depending on how long it takes for me to sell my current house and buy another.

Life at 120v is painful. Unless you live near a super charger and can use it to supplement, you're going to want to install a 240v circuit even for a few months.

This is the tracking thread. If we want to continue this discussion we should move to one of the many threads that have already discussed this topic. I'm on my phone at the moment which isn't very convenient for searching or I'd post a link here.

Sorry Andrew but one last footnote on this.

The Inside Sales rep that I worked with mentioned one distinction between buying the HPWC along with the car (even if not installing it rightaway) as opposed to later from the online store - that of warranty. You get a 4-year warranty if with the car and only one year otherwise. I'm not getting one anyway but, just FYI.

After having an MS for almost a year, I got a good deal on an HPWC and put it into my house in Pagosa. After seeing how nice it was to have a built in connector in the garage, and to have the option to charge faster when I needed it, I added an HPWC to my Boulder house. That was when they cost $1,200. I really like to the convenience of the HPWC, and love just leaving the UMC in the car for when it's needed in the field. If I had it to do over, I would have put in the HPWC's from the beginning.

As many on TMC know, I am a big proponent of ordering dual chargers. Even if you only use them a few times a year, saving hours charging when off the Supercharger highway is wonderful, and makes road trips much more pleasant. Although there are an amazing number of those 30-Amp EVSE's out there due to government subsidies, there are also a surprising number of High Amp Level 2 (HAL2) EVSE's in the wild, and more appearing all the time from Tesla's Destination Charging program, owner HPWC's on Plugshare, and the Sun Country Highway.

Got a call from Tesla this evening about wheel options. I stayed with the 21 silvers, but they had some decent options for 19 all weather and such. (Like $4000 less)

I made sure there was no difference in delivery dates staying with the 21 silvers.

Well the wall charger is double the rate, if you're getting the correct service.

I decided against it, however, living in the northeast where I don't travel that far on a typical day.