Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Shelf + Rear Sound Dampening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Prius V has a retractable cover. The rear seats recline a bit, like the MY seats. So the bar that goes across, from side to side, rests in indentations set back about 4 inches from the top of the back seats. There is a flap on the front side of the cover with clips that hook to the rear seat headrest posts. That way you can recline without having to remove the cover. Nobody sits in the back, so I took out the rear headrests for better visibility and stored them in the space under the floor of the trunk.

When you pull the cover out towards the back of the trunk/hatchback area, there are small bits that stick out on each side and fit into slots on each side of the back, just in front of where the lift back closes.

I love this cover! It is sturdy enough to hold a coat or two on top. When I haul larger items, like bales of hay, I don't have to remove the whole cover.

My Toyota 4 Runner also had one like this. Maybe I can find a used one and try to fit it in the MY.

If anyone knows of such a cover please let me know. I've search, but have not found one. If one does not exist, here's your chance to design and manufacture one for the M3 and MY.

Attachments

• 16063211637193303482049813995752.jpg
    16063211637193303482049813995752.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 16063212397574539718746107430500.jpg
    16063212397574539718746107430500.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 16063212748335002787084708394851.jpg
    16063212748335002787084708394851.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 1606321318798585619027578489983.jpg
    1606321318798585619027578489983.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 181
Two questions:
1. How is the shelf affected when my kids have the rear seats at two different reclined positions? Seems like that might cause an issue.
2. It looks like it stays attached to the seats when they are dropped. If so, wouldn't you need to raise and lower them together somehow?

Thanks.

Good questions! The ModelyShelf is designed to be installed with both seats y reclined. From sitting in one and conferring with multiple owners, it was pretty clear that this was the preferred position for most folks. If the wider seat is fully reclined, I'm fairly sure that a spacer behind the narrower seat could be made to accommodate that, bit it is not something that I suffer at this time.

When the seats are dropped, there are several ways of raising them that make this straightforward. Obviously hanving one person on each side to raise the seats together is a simple solution. The shelf and also be unhooked from the seats very easily, then the seats raised separately and the shelf rehung. This would only take an extra 5-10 seconds once you practiced it a few times. Finally, with the Chevy Volt, the shelf can be lifted and pulled to the rear and used to pull both seats up at the same time. I have not tried this with the Model Y, but it should be possible. The electric mechanisms in the rear seats may make this more difficult.

HTH!

Steve

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: meh_ and Bikeman
I just discovered this today and I'd love to see some reviews.

@NY_Rob how has your shelf been working? Does is help quiet road noise and the boominess?
It's been working out great.. it's heavy duty and definitely helps cut down on noise from the cavern...er..back area.
Added bonus is it keeps the back area private.... I sometimes carry laptops/network equipment back there and that's not something I like to advertise.

20201128-093706.jpg

20201128-093715.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick review NY_ROB, and I have a couple quick followup questions:
  1. How does it attach to the seats and is the attachment visible from the front side of the rear seat?
  2. How is the sound from the stereo affected since it is covering 2 forward firing speakers in the rear?
Thanks again!
Stach

Last edited:
Reactions: Stack151
  1. How does it attach to the seats and is the attachment visible from the front side of the rear seat?
  2. How is the sound from the stereo affected since it is covering 2 forward firing speakers in the rear?

Look at the pictures in the post above yours - you can clearly see the hooks connected to the headrest, and the cord attached to the shelf hooked up to those.

It's only partially covering the back speakers, no impact on sound in my opinion.

Thanks for the quick review NY_ROB, and I have a couple quick followup questions:
Thanks again!
Stach

Hi Stach,

I am the ModelYShelf guy. I'm going to stay mostly out of the discussion and let you get reviews from customers like Frank and Rob above. But I do want you to know that I am here to help and answer any questions that you may have for me as well, here or if you want to ema me directly.

One thing- the attachment at the rear seats is not visible from the front.

HTH and Happy Holidays!

Steve

@NY_Rob thanks for sharing! Question about this particular photo though: it looks to me like the passenger side where it meets the back seat is sitting lower than the driver side. Is this just a weird quirk of the photo, or does it in reality sit somewhat "lopsided"?
That part of the attachment system just uses a standard cord/rope where you tie a knot under the bottom of the shelf to adjust the height of each side.. I was in a hurry and was off by a hair height wise. I just need to untie the knot on the right side and re-tie it a bit higher. The day I got the shelf (and took that photo) we were going to a wedding and I was already running late, so I never adjusted the side to side height.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I am the ModelYShelf guy. I'm going to stay mostly out of the discussion and let you get reviews from customers like Frank and Rob above. But I do want you to know that I am here to help and answer any questions that you may have for me as well, here or if you want to email me directly.

Steve, I like the look and functionality of the product, but I am curious about those black support straps towards the rear of the shelf on the sides.
  1. What are they made of?
  2. How do they attach?
  3. In the picture, it looks like they may rub and scratch the interior...is there reason for concern?
  4. Have you replaced the metal hooks that attach to the cargo hatch struts as something softer would be less likely to rattle (someone else mentioned this)?
Thanks in advance for your answsers!
Stach

Steve, I like the look and functionality of the product, but I am curious about those black support straps towards the rear of the shelf on the sides.
  1. What are they made of?
  2. How do they attach?
  3. In the picture, it looks like they may rub and scratch the interior...is there reason for concern?
  4. Have you replaced the metal hooks that attach to the cargo hatch struts as something softer would be less likely to rattle (someone else mentioned this)?
Thanks in advance for your answsers!
Stach

Hi Stach,

The black support brackets are metal. They hang over the plastic sidewalls of the trunk. The bulb seal at the top of the trunk sides hides this well. We have recently added dots of Velcro that will secure them in place and protect the sides better than before.

The metal carabineers to attach the lifting strings to the hatch strut mounts are still included with the ModelYShelf. In addition, we are now also including velcro straps that will replace the carabineers, as well as small trim buttons (See earlier posts about these) that can be used in place of the carabineers or Velcro straps. Plus, we are also including metal clips, thanks to NY_Rob, that can also be used in place of these. So you now get your choice of 4 options for the self lifting attachment. Some are easier to use than others, some are easier to install than others, you can choose what is best for your own needs. You can also just not use any them and not having the ModelYShelf lift with the hatch automatically. When there is a consensus about the best option(s), I will go with that for the future.

Interesting to note, some have expressed concern about the metal carabineers scratching the car, or rattling, but I have yet to hear that this is actually an issue. I have also run these on my Chevy Volt in a similar application and location without any issues.

HTH!

Steve

Steve, thanks for taking the time to give such detailed explanations for all of my questions, that really helps!

I'm glad to help, Stach! I've said for years that it isn't everyday that folks buy the kind of stuff that I make, so there are bound to be questions. Knowing that, I try to make sure we are getting them all answered. And I get to make s lot of friends along the way.

Steve

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
^ I took some photos of my install... I guess it depends which clips you are intending to use for the rope support on the hatch door itself?

I know Steve was sending a variety of clips with the latest orders... if you don't mind, take photos of what you got and I'll walk you through it. It's super simple once you realize how it goes together (no tools required).