Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.28.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finished work at 2am and found that 2020.24.6.9 was waiting to download. Just downloading now as after yesterday the last thing I wanted to do was stay up downloading updates when I got in :mad:

been stuck on .17 for a while so maybe going to get a couple together?

I downloaded 24.6.9 last night and had a little drive this morning. While the extra two camera views when reversing are useful it’s still not a patch on the 360° view I’ve been used to for years. C’mon Tesla, catch up!

I hope the update will fix the playback issues on dash cam. What it hasn’t improved is the overall poor quality of the images. I don’t know what resolution the cameras are but they can’t begin to compare to my standalone Nextbase. Having extra camera views isn’t much use if the quality of the image is poor. And there’s still no speed stamp or audio. C’mon Tesla, catch up!

No sign of an update (to anything) for me yet. Based on TeslaFi I'd assume people are going to get 2020.28.5 first, since there is still only one UK car on that site on 2020.28.10, and 11 cars worldwide, and that hasn't changed since 19/07

I downloaded 24.6.9 last night and had a little drive this morning. While the extra two camera views when reversing are useful it’s still not a patch on the 360° view I’ve been used to for years. C’mon Tesla, catch up!

I hope the update will fix the playback issues on dash cam. What it hasn’t improved is the overall poor quality of the images. I don’t know what resolution the cameras are but they can’t begin to compare to my standalone Nextbase. Having extra camera views isn’t much use if the quality of the image is poor. And there’s still no speed stamp or audio. C’mon Tesla, catch up!

I think the issue is more that the cameras aren't designed to be used for this in the first place.

I'm not sure the locations of the cameras would give a good 360 degree view, and their resolution is lower because the onboard computer for Autopilot can't really work with high resolution images! (This is common practice for AI, images are downscaled and sometimes gray-scale)

Would be really good to see both issues improved upon though for sure! :)

There's a massive blind spot on the front wings that you couldn't cover (I found this out the hard way a couple of times where a car nearly took the front of the tesla off and the tesla didn't even see it, let alone warn).

You could probably do everything from the front doors backwards though as an overhead. Not sure about front as the camera there is too high up and can't really see any more than you can.

You could probably do everything from the front doors backwards though as an overhead. Not sure about front as the camera there is too high up and can't really see any more than you can.

I had a 360 birds eye camera on my Peugeot 3008 - and it only had two cameras - one at the front, and one at back. so it had no sideways views whatsoever. The software inside then stitched together the video as it drove forward/backward to give a full downward view.

I suspect Tesla could easily incorporate something similar, and should be quite straight forward with the 3D FSD re-write forthcoming.

The only difficultly comes when something in the environment changes in one of those blind spots - not a problem for stationary objects, but potentially a problem for people/animals etc near the car.

My old Peugeot got around this by "greying out" the bits it could not see after a time delay - so the side views got obscured after 10 seconds or so when stationary.

Tesla could get round this again by plotting movement of objects in 3D to predict where they are in the environment and warn/visualise accordingly.

Reactions: Jez_GB
There's a massive blind spot on the front wings that you couldn't cover (I found this out the hard way a couple of times where a car nearly took the front of the tesla off and the tesla didn't even see it, let alone warn).

It doesn't really have any blindspots, but, it doesn't currently make use of all the cameras. The blind spot you're talking about is because the forward-facing B-pillar cameras aren't really used right now. If I recall, currently used is: Forward narrow FOV, forward normal FOV, forward wide FOV, left repeater, and right repeater. So this is missing left forward-facing, right forward-facing, and the rear camera. The gaps are helped with ultrasonic and forward-facing radar to see vehicles ahead of the one in front.

When Autopilot 2.0 (The 'core re-write') is released these should be used as part of the 3D reconstruction they plan, along with much greater usage of Autopilot hardware 3 which currently they don't use much resources on. (Talked about in the Q2 2020 earnings call as '4D' as the car is effectively guiding the car through a 3D world with the 4th dimension being time rather than current where it's '2.5D' just basing off static pictures in stereoscopic 3D, Elon compared it from looking at a picture to watching a video. Much better prediction of the world around it)

Just made this horrific Paint drawing of what cameras are and aren't used right now, it'll describe the blind spot you notice well though! (Obviously not a factual drawing or totally accurate to actual camera FOVs, but it's the 'in a nutshell' of the camera layout)
e6f5ed7994efe1282a583cd29a290c83.png

If you look at the following image, you can see how much the front wide FOV camera and b-pillar cameras overlap if they were in use: (See the road sign on the left pillar and front camera, as well as the road sign on the right side of the front camera compared to on the right pillar)
8a435e6ecfcd7c42dff94b424c7dfe57.png

Last edited:
This has probably got nothing to do with 2020.28.x persay, but I can't think of where else I'd put it, but I noticed yesterday that if you try to open a door it wakes the car up even if you can't actually open it (e.g. haven't got phone key or keycard on you).

I'm just now noticing that it's taking me 3 or 4 attempts at opening the door before the car will unlock with my phone key.

Using an android device in front pocket which worked flawlessly until 2020.28.x

Oh well, guess I'll just look like an opportunist thief until an update resolves it.

I'm just now noticing that it's taking me 3 or 4 attempts at opening the door before the car will unlock with my phone key.

Using an android device in front pocket which worked flawlessly until 2020.28.x

Oh well, guess I'll just look like an opportunist thief until an update resolves it.

If you have the phone in a back pocket, try leaning so your back pocket is towards the mirror, that's where the antenna is.
Or, try unlocking your phone. Some Android devices go into a battery saving mode and Bluetooth doesn't work in that state for the phone key. :)

I used to have a bunch of issues on my Google Pixel, upgraded to a Google Pixel 4 recently and it fixed all issues.

Shouldn't need a workaround to restore something that was OK before the update. It's a Tesla issue not Android/Apple
How do you know that?

There are so many variables on phones. It could easily be a battery management/phone bluetooth issue.

I'm not saying you're wrong but the fact that it's so different for each person suggests it's more likely to be a phone issue than a Tesla issue I think.

I haven't had any problems on my Pixel 4XL.

If you have the phone in a back pocket

It's always been in my front pocket, which is closest to the car as approaching the door.

Some Android devices go into a battery saving mode and Bluetooth doesn't work in that state for the phone key

That's true, however neither the app nor the Bluetooth have had any form of battery optimisation applied to them as I disabled this long ago.

It could easily be a battery management/phone bluetooth issue

Been working flawlessly since March '20 with the same phone (Note 10+), just since updating to 28.2 (28.1 was too short a lifespan to test) has it taken 3 or 4 attempts at pulling the handle to unlock.

It's always been in my front pocket, which is closest to the car as approaching the door.

That's true, however neither the app nor the Bluetooth have had any form of battery optimisation applied to them as I disabled this long ago.

Been working flawlessly since March '20 with the same phone (Note 10+), just since updating to 28.2 (28.1 was too short a lifespan to test) has it taken 3 or 4 attempts at pulling the handle to unlock.

Then I guess either the car's update broke it, or an Android update! Was worth a try though. :)

Reactions: Medved_77