Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The TACC/AP handling of initiation speed is becoming really, really annoying! Why couldn't they just leave it as the current speed at the point of initiation?

I've had a lot of phantom breaking events when overtaking lorries in the dark. These are probably more severe than the bridge phantom braking events that still happen.

Driving home on my own on Tuesday night (180 miles) I gave up and cancelled TACC, after nearly headbutting the steering wheel 5 or 6 times. There were a lot of lorries on the road and I realised I was more tense approaching each one than I was feeling 'assisted' by having TACC engaged. If I had passengers on board, I would have cancelled much much earlier. The braking was uncomfortable for me, and I had the wheel to brace against.

It definitely appears to be worse in the dark. Driving home today in the daylight, I had one bridge phantom brake, but no lorry overtake issues.

Has anyone else seen this?

Reactions: Cnixon
The TACC/AP handling of initiation speed is becoming really, really annoying! Why couldn't they just leave it as the current speed at the point of initiation?

I've had a lot of phantom breaking events when overtaking lorries in the dark. These are probably more severe than the bridge phantom braking events that still happen.

Driving home on my own on Tuesday night (180 miles) I gave up and cancelled TACC, after nearly headbutting the steering wheel 5 or 6 times. There were a lot of lorries on the road and I realised I was more tense approaching each one than I was feeling 'assisted' by having TACC engaged. If I had passengers on board, I would have cancelled much much earlier. The braking was uncomfortable for me, and I had the wheel to brace against.

It definitely appears to be worse in the dark. Driving home today in the daylight, I had one bridge phantom brake, but no lorry overtake issues.

Has anyone else seen this?

I had the same phantom breaking issue with lorries at night driving on the M25 a few days ago...maybe 3 occasions where previously I had none.

As for the TACC speed changes....dont get me started grrrr!

36.11 downloaded this afternoon, and some odd things have happened since.

First off, the audio system seemed to have died, all the stored radio stations disappeared, and it took ten minutes of driving for the audio to start working (can't receive radio at home, but can three or four minutes drive away).

Then the auto headlights came on, and the dipped beams are now pointing way up in the air, so high that I was getting flashed by every car coming towards me and had cars in front switching their rear fogs on out of annoyance. Unfortunately our drive's on a steep slope, so any sort of DIY beam setting is probably a non-starter. I'll see if the local garage can set the lights up for me when they re-open on Monday.

The positive thing is that the speed limit sign visualisations that were supposedly added when 36.10 downloaded last week have started working, after not working at all since that last update.

The other odd thing is that the screen was blank when I got in this evening. Took maybe ten seconds or so for it to come on.

Anyone else see weirdness like this?
Didn't have any issues like this.

Yes completely agree with the TACC speed changes.. so annoying!

Scenario: I engage TACC on a dual carriageway, it instantly starts to speed up to 72 (+2 relative offset set). I reduce it down to 62. I then engage autosteer and the sodding thing shoots back up to 72!

Hopefully they'll fix this soon.

The speed sign recognition is working very well for me. A good improvement

Yes completely agree with the TACC speed changes.. so annoying!

Scenario: I engage TACC on a dual carriageway, it instantly starts to speed up to 72 (+2 relative offset set). I reduce it down to 62. I then engage autosteer and the sodding thing shoots back up to 72!

Hopefully they'll fix this soon.

The speed sign recognition is working very well for me. A good improvement
Had noticed that autosteer reset TACC limit. I’ll test that out later

As much as I love the speed sign recognition, one road in particular annoys me and I’m sure there’s some other areas that may be similar.

A 30mph road near me, which is rather long and wide, with some slight sweeping bends, has numerous 20mph roads off it into the housing estate. Speed cameras are common, so TACC at a minimum and auto steer handles the long bends perfect on my work commute.

As two of the junctions are on bends, the signs can be seen from the main road. With TACC/Auto Steer engaged, it picks these up and drops the speed limit. As a busy road, it used to be bliss for keeping the speed limit but also for the stand still traffic at school time. Now it’s a having to wait for the next speed sign to go back up to 30mph from the misread 20mph, and making sure the person behind isn’t so close when it slows to 20mph

My observations during a 350 mile round trip this weekend.
The trip involved the M6 toll, M42, M40, M4 & M3, & I stopped to charge once just off the M4.
2020.36.11 updated before I left on Friday so i had plenty of oppertunity to test tacc & the improved! speed sign recognition.
The tacc was used for the majority of the motorway (+80%) & found it pretty faultless & relaxed driving There were no phantom braking & one audible warning when i indicated to move into the outer lane while a car was just about to pass me in that lane, perhaps i indicated a second or two too early, my fault!
As far as i noticed (i did consciously try to note changes in speed limits) the only time I noticed it got it wrong was when joining the M4 in the roadworks (jcn 10) & it never corrected inspite of passing many 50mph signs. So maybe i was not as attentive as i should have been earlier.
Equally important, I noticed it switched to indicating the correct speed literally as i passed the speed sign, not like others have reported many many yards past.
What have other found.
On another subject im very seriously thinking of taking the EAP upgrade in the hope I benefit from further enhancements (free) negating the need to go to FSD.

Reactions: timpharrison
The trip involved the M6 toll, M42, M40, M4 & M3, & I stopped to charge once just off the M4.
As far as i noticed (i did consciously try to note changes in speed limits) the only time I noticed it got it wrong was when joining the M4 in the roadworks (jcn 10) & it never corrected inspite of passing many 50mph signs. So maybe i was not as attentive as i should have been earlier.

The release notes state 'local roads' (whatever that means) for speed sign recognition and it is my experience that on NoA capable roads, the car is indeed blind to speed signs. Obviously if you do not have NoA, you will not see this differentiation, but basically, if its a major divided carriageway or motorway, speed sign recognition is not expected to work according to the release notes.

Were you seeing speed sign recognition / speed changes on the M6 toll, M42, M40, M4 & M3 that are not at intersections or off ramps?

The release notes state 'local roads' (whatever that means) for speed sign recognition and it is my experience that on NoA capable roads, the car is indeed blind to speed signs. Obviously if you do not have NoA, you will not see this differentiation, but basically, if its a major divided carriageway or motorway, speed sign recognition is not expected to work according to the release notes.

Were you seeing speed sign recognition / speed changes on the M6 toll, M42, M40, M4 & M3 that are not at intersections or off ramps?

I didnt notice (or really look except M4 as mentioned) any corrections on the motorways but did notice it was very accurate on the roads from the winnersh tesla superccharger site down the back roads to wokingham. Maybe I'm mistaken & the corrections were due to google maps!

Reactions: MrBadger