Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.32.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shouldn't make a difference but is your car connected to wifi overnight? I've had 3 updates since i got the car 6 weeks ago but all have come at about midnight with the car sitting on the drive plugged in connected to wifi.
Yeah. It seems to drop off when it goes to sleep. But I just opened the app there as it wasn't showing in Unifi and it then popped up once the app had woken the car from its slumber!

tesla_wifi.PNG

Only difference I can see is you mentioned you car was plugged in. I don't plug mine in every night. In fact I've only charged it 3 or 4 times at home so far.

As mentioned before, the long wait for updates is not normal, but not unheard of - seems to be affecting things this year. The difference this time is apparently down to the different mix of hardware (and Tesla Vision in US) some of the newer cars are using in response to the chip shortage. Sounds like the code for the newer hardware may have made it back into the main release branches so going forward, its quite possible that normal service will resume. ie, you will get the update when Tesla decide and it will be drip fed over several weeks, or even superseded and process start over again. From personal experience, being at the front of the queue can have its downsides and installs can and do go wrong - normally more an inconvenience than a show stopper unless it gets you when you need stability.

As for the need for wifi. You do not need wifi to get the update available notification - that will come over the lte connection. So you only need wifi to do the download, not having it will not delay the notification, just the install. Critical fixes can get pushed over lte so don't need wifi, but they are not that common.

Releases notes are cumulative for the major version and don't tell the full story. So if you get an update for the same major version, say 2021.32.21, it will likely have exactly the same release note as 2021.32.20.1 even though nothing has changed in that regard.

And finally, lots can change between releases even though its not mentioned in the release notes or covered under bug fixes or winter improvements (a long standing joke from 2020/21 releases). Finding what has changed is one of the quirks of owning a Tesla, although not always good as regressions can and do happen.

Reactions: SpareHeadOne
Yeah. It seems to drop off when it goes to sleep. But I just opened the app there as it wasn't showing in Unifi and it then popped up once the app had woken the car from its slumber!

View attachment 715368

Only difference I can see is you mentioned you car was plugged in. I don't plug mine in every night. In fact I've only charged it 3 or 4 times at home so far.
Mines charged 2-3 nights a week, because of the eon tariff I’m on it is in sentry mode to keep it awake for charging so maybe that’s the difference

Got 2021.32.20 today, happened to be sitting in the car when it was installing.
It sounded like all 7 dwarfs were frantically trying to mine something under the rear seat with metal hammers and picks at various point during the install.
Nothing about loud banging noises I could see in the release notes?:rolleyes:
Maybe that's what "immersive sound" is all about😂😂

As for the need for wifi. You do not need wifi to get the update available notification - that will come over the lte connection. So you only need wifi to do the download, not having it will not delay the notification, just the install. Critical fixes can get pushed over lte so don't need wifi, but they are not that common.
My car hasn't seen a wifi network yet lol. I don't have a drive and my car is parked far from my house.

As well as 32.20 I seem to have got Nav 12875, not sure what has changed.

Talking of hidden changes, the intermittent wiper control screen that comes on when the wipers activate now has a blue highlight around the upper button, which turns off the wipers completely if pressed. Is this new, or something I'd not noticed?
Also the front screen demister has a two stage operation, again possibly something I'd never noticed.

• Informative
Reactions: Dilly

Talking of hidden changes, the intermittent wiper control screen that comes on when the wipers activate now has a blue highlight around the upper button, which turns off the wipers completely if pressed. Is this new, or something I'd not noticed?
Also the front screen demister has a two stage operation, again possibly something I'd never noticed.
I must check that out. I’ve never noticed either

It sounded like all 7 dwarfs were frantically trying to mine something under the rear seat with metal hammers and picks at various point during the install.
You weren't joking. I had them in my boot mining down into the battery. Was nuts.

Got 2021.32.20 today, happened to be sitting in the car when it was installing.
But unless I'm mistaken, the SR+ doesn't have the Premium Sound System, so no "immersive sound". The noise must have been the software gremlins looking for somewhere to go!

That wiper control has been there ages, I had it on my previous car

Reactions: Godsense
Although others have just seen a Nav update, when I got 32.21, it took the 'usual' time & didn't have an additional large download (my car has had 2021.8.12875 for several months, unrelated to any regular software updates & incorrect road speeds that newly appeared then are still the same now, as indeed are the incorrect ones from the previous map which this update corrected).