Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find this completely bonkers. How can they have it so wrong? Have the developers never seen a roundabout, before?

I appreciate some roundabouts are difficult if they also have little service roads coming off them, but it frequently gets it wrong on the most obvious ones around here. Bonkers.
I was talking this through with my navigator, Mrs D, this morning. Our conclusions are that whilst the screen correctly shows straight on at a roundabout (usually second exit), the voice over predominantly say take the first exit. Third exits are are correct.
we did have one in Norwich where there were only 2 exits, left or right, map showed second (right). Voice said first (left). How hard can it be!

I was talking this through with my navigator, Mrs D, this morning. Our conclusions are that whilst the screen correctly shows straight on at a roundabout (usually second exit), the voice over predominantly say take the first exit. Third exits are are correct.
we did have one in Norwich where there were only 2 exits, left or right, map showed second (right). Voice said first (left). How hard can it be!
There’s a big roundabout I take to head to the local Tesco after dropping off the tiddler at nursery. Even though it’s only a 5 minute drive, I usually set the satnav so I don’t go into my own personal autopilot and head straight home. The roundabout is obvious, where I need to take the second exit (a right turn, as there’s no branch to the left), however it always tells me to take the first exit. I always have to check the map to confirm, even though I know exactly where I’m going.

Whilst I really hope Tesla can crack FSD, I do question their ability if they can’t even count roundabout exits. 😒

There’s a big roundabout I take to head to the local Tesco after dropping off the tiddler at nursery. Even though it’s only a 5 minute drive, I usually set the satnav so I don’t go into my own personal autopilot and head straight home. The roundabout is obvious, where I need to take the second exit (a right turn, as there’s no branch to the left), however it always tells me to take the first exit. I always have to check the map to confirm, even though I know exactly where I’m going.

Whilst I really hope Tesla can crack FSD, I do question their ability if they can’t even count roundabout exits. 😒
Perhaps the voice coding thnks that it is in mainland Europe, or the States!

If 4.18 does have the new city street stack underneath and is software locked it has a way to go. A local route I’ve driven many times before : car continues to cross the centre line at 40 mph on a tight corner. Eek. I don’t know if it was mind games or if it seems more refined in places.

There’s actually about 11,000 roundabouts in the US, so it isn't like they don’t exist. Although still not common as in Europe (e.g. UK has 25,000), the numbers are increasing so there’s no excuse for Tesla getting this wrong. Then again it rains on average 64 days a year in Freemont and look at the mess the auto wipers are in, as latest update (2021.4.15.12) seems to have unfixed them based on yesterdays driving through heavy showers.

Reactions: Cnixon
The roundabout issue is extremely common around me in London. The circumstances seem pretty consistent: always mini roundabouts in which you are turning right and from memory where that right turn is the second exit (i.e. straight-on is the first exit) and yet the car states “first exit”.

Do roundabouts even exist in the States? I admittedly have not experienced much driving over there, but I didn’t see one roundabout when I was there on holiday a few years ago. It was all intersections etc.

EDIT: I should read up. 11k vs 25k in the UK is a lot more than I thought.

• Funny
Reactions: goRt
Do roundabouts even exist in the States? I admittedly have not experienced much driving over there, but I didn’t see one roundabout when I was there on holiday a few years ago. It was all intersections etc.

we have over 10k of them in the state of Milton Keynes

4.15 is the one with the FSD changes but that's locked out so our AP is still using the old code on that, I wouldn't expect to see any visible changes in the way it drives.

As far as satnav goes.. ever since I got the car it has said 'your destination is on the left' when it's on the right, and vice versa. It basically never gets it right..

Yeah they are few and far between. Think they are called "traffic circles" or something like that in the US.

had 4.18 install yesterday and just did a long drive tonight after the install, m4, m40, toll, m6. loads of wind and spray.

couple of things i noticed the full beam upand down on the left stalk now seems to do what it should. (ie you can push it away to toggle from high to normal and back again) that was driving me nuts before. didnt try auto but am happier than before when it didnt do that.

the wipers worked all the way on auto as good as my last cars. (from dusk to dark)

lorries on overtaking on AP still ‘flutter’ into your lane on the visualisation but no way as bad as before. had no phantom breaking.

visualisation changed in that the car is now lower on the screen with the rendering of cars in other lanes working further out.

felt a step forward.
Had my first proper drives this weekend since Installing 4.15.12 On Saturday a ~160 mile round trip and everything seemed to be working fine. Today however I discovered that phantom braking is sadly still alive and well. After the good experience yesterday had lulled me into a false sense of security, I was driving behind a few cars on an A road today on TACC and got an unexpected wake up call with a sudden extreme emergency braking event as we passed a junction - it was at a bend with a car waiting to merge in but I really cannot understand why it slammed on when it did. Fortunately there was nobody behind me when it happened.
Could the car have detected something that I had missed? Doubt it, unless the radar detected some braking of the car two ahead of me or it sensed that the car waiting at the junction was potentially starting to pull out ? It didn’t pull out.
Instead of regular tweets from Elon that recently seem to bear little relation to what Tesla deliver to us as far as software goes, (I’m still waiting for the hot new features we were supposed to get last Christmas), it would be helpful just to get some accurate feedback from Tesla as to the true state of the FSD software and autonomous features, including acknowledgment of current limitations, an explanation of why they happen and an update on what they plan to do to solve the problems. Considering that I paid a lot of money over 18 months ago for a FSD software suite that still, at least in the UK, falls far short of the functionality that has been promised, my feedback to Elon‘s recent tweets is that so far FSD is coming closer to ‘blowing my fuse’ than to ‘blowing my mind’…

Reactions: AnthonyLR
I find this completely bonkers. How can they have it so wrong? Have the developers never seen a roundabout, before?

I appreciate some roundabouts are difficult if they also have little service roads coming off them, but it frequently gets it wrong on the most obvious ones around here. Bonkers.
This recent experience was on main A road roundabouts, A46 & A52. Verbal instructions always said "take the first exit" when it should have been the 2nd or 3rd. I'm reasonably confident (but not 100%) the graphic was correct. I'm mystified.

Had my first proper drives this weekend since Installing 4.15.12 On Saturday a ~160 mile round trip and everything seemed to be working fine. Today however I discovered that phantom braking is sadly still alive and well. After the good experience yesterday had lulled me into a false sense of security, I was driving behind a few cars on an A road today on TACC and got an unexpected wake up call with a sudden extreme emergency braking event as we passed a junction - it was at a bend with a car waiting to merge in but I really cannot understand why it slammed on when it did. Fortunately there was nobody behind me when it happened.
Could the car have detected something that I had missed? Doubt it, unless the radar detected some braking of the car two ahead of me or it sensed that the car waiting at the junction was potentially starting to pull out ? It didn’t pull out.
Instead of regular tweets from Elon that recently seem to bear little relation to what Tesla deliver to us as far as software goes, (I’m still waiting for the hot new features we were supposed to get last Christmas), it would be helpful just to get some accurate feedback from Tesla as to the true state of the FSD software and autonomous features, including acknowledgment of current limitations, an explanation of why they happen and an update on what they plan to do to solve the problems. Considering that I paid a lot of money over 18 months ago for a FSD software suite that still, at least in the UK, falls far short of the functionality that has been promised, my feedback to Elon‘s recent tweets is that so far FSD is coming closer to ‘blowing my fuse’ than to ‘blowing my mind’…
I don't have FSD, but I contend that basic AP is worse today than it was when I got the car. Phantom braking, misinterpretation of lane markings (esp filter lanes), over-agressive action with oncoming cars, ... the list goes on. I'm very reticent these days using it when there's a lot of traffic around.

My wife now has an ID.3. The "TACC" (or ACC as they call it - Adaptive Cruise Control) that's fitted is very good. Way smoother than Tesla's system, even though it's simpler. The enhanced version, Travel Assist, adds auto-steer and gets good reviews from its users too. The ID.3 has other software issues, but the ACC/TA is definitely a better system.

I've got a few more opportunities next week to test 4.15.12, or may be it will be 4.15.14 by then!

A mixed bag with a drive of two halves, literally. 2021.4.15.12

Outbound, driving east into the sun, dry, but wet roads, some standing water, with the roads often totally obscured from glare, the car was as it should have been. Not a single collision avoidance warning - same drive, similar conditions last week, I had a handful of them and the car was as nervous as nellie on TACC. Today I was following another vehicle a few times so TACC at their mercy, and did notice that the car seemed to surge a bit more than in the past - a bit like my early experiences of TACC/AP when the car seemed to either full throttle or full brake and not smoothly transition as it accelerated or slowed. I did notice many human drivers cutting white lines today, or overshooting stop lines - maybe it was the glare. On one of these occasions, when on a 50 mph A road, I was on TACC and had to move over the centre line as a car was overhanging our lane slightly. I was expecting the car to complain, but it didn't until I had actually started to pass the car, at which point it slammed on. It was far to late to have done anything useful and as I was several meters from the stationary vehicle, totally unnecessary.

Coming back heading west, most of the drive was M25/M3. It started off dry. Car took the outer lane on M25/M3 interchange which was not a lane you would normally use unless busy - the car had pretty much the interchange to itself at that point. For some reason, the car disengaged auto steer. No fanfare. I suspect I may have been holding on too tight at the point that it was choosing to go left rather than straight on. Inability to get speed limit right on merge (its a long 50mph) hasn't changed but I was on manual 50 limit. Someone is going to get caught out by that one day as its an average speed check and car thinks much of the merge is a 70. Back on auto steer/NoA.

I then hit a cloud burst. Wipers worked really well although when rain suddenly stopped, it was overly long before wipers calmed down. However, the traffic then started to bunch, road was soaked from the cloudburst and loads of spray being kicked up by the cars. The wipers just did not wipe, to the point that had you left them auto wipe, you could not see out of the window. For anyone not knowing how to manually trigger the wipers, this would have been a hugely dangerous scenario. #failbigtime I'll see if I can salvage some front camera footage to see what view AP had - visualisations looked correct and car behaved itself nicely even though NoA was off due to bad weather detected.

I then came across my junction where I would normally turn off. Nav told me to come off but NoA was I believe (I wasn't actually monitoring the single/double blue line) still inoperative which was fine as on this occasion, I decided to go to the next junction. NoA did not try and take me off at that junction - its 4 lane at that point, then lane turns into off ramp so 3 lanes between off and on ramps, then back to 4 lanes. So I was in lane 2, which became lane 1 through the junction. The car then started to behave exactly as if it was on the off ramp, except I was on the motorway. The car started slowing and told me that NoA was about to end. At which point, the car started turning NoA on and off - rapidly alternating between the single blue and double blue lane lines in the visualisation. I had to manually take over speed control. Basically the car behaved according to its nav directions and not its actual road position and direction. This is latest nav map.

The rest of the journey was uneventful, although autosteer did turn itself off on off ramp earlier than I would have liked - again, I'm probably holding steering too tight as the car makes an ever tighter (uncomfortably tight) turn on the circular off ramp.

So unlike last weeks near perfect journey on 4.15.10, this weeks on 4.15.12 was a completely different story. But as a Tesla owner, you get use to the cars inconsistent behaviour, so not entirely unexpected.

Last edited: