Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK 2021 Orders and Pending Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke to Tesla this morning to try and better understand their process for selling vehicles that are ordered. I ordered on the 21st Aug and haven't been allocated anything (I'm not surprised). I've been advised to sit tight until mid-week next week while the delivery team try and match orders to stock. I get the feeling there's a lot of manual work happening behind the scenes and very little is automated.

It's clear the order timeframe plays a big part but it's also clear that Tesla's "order confirmation" isn't really a hard placed order. It's more of a requisition or a request to order at a cost of £100 (for an M3). You're not guaranteed anything which might explain why I've seen threads with members stating their deliveries have been pushed back multiple times. This is where, as we know, Tesla differs from current manufacturers. Others build to order, Tesla match order requests to what's built.

Until Tesla randomly produces the configuration of vehicle you're after, you won't be matched. Some configurations sell more than others so it's possible some of us have simply picked a configuration with a limited run. I also suspect you might not be allocated if your collection location has a low volume of vehicles destined for it. They'll save costs on vehicle transport by not transporting a half laden trailer in which case the vehicle might be offered up to someone else.

It's been noted in multiple threads that deferring your collection date could also impact you. If you can't make a collection date then they'll offer the vehicle to someone else, someone who has been waiting for their allocation and VIN.

For me personally, I'm hoping I'll be able to take delivery in Sept but I'm not holding my breath given how late in Aug I ordered and how odd the order -> builds matching process seems to be.

On a side note, for those selling their existing cars, have you found the used car market is really good at the moment? I had a valuation today on my current vehicle that leaves me £4k in equity, Luckily I've been able to get them to guarantee the valuation and offer until the end of Sept.

I spoke to Tesla this morning to try and better understand their process for selling vehicles that are ordered. I ordered on the 21st Aug and haven't been allocated anything (I'm not surprised). I've been advised to sit tight until mid-week next week while the delivery team try and match orders to stock. I get the feeling there's a lot of manual work happening behind the scenes and very little is automated.

It's clear the order timeframe plays a big part but it's also clear that Tesla's "order confirmation" isn't really a hard placed order. It's more of a requisition or a request to order at a cost of £100 (for an M3). You're not guaranteed anything which might explain why I've seen threads with members stating their deliveries have been pushed back multiple times. This is where, as we know, Tesla differs from current manufacturers. Others build to order, Tesla match order requests to what's built.

Until Tesla randomly produces the configuration of vehicle you're after, you won't be matched. Some configurations sell more than others so it's possible some of us have simply picked a configuration with a limited run. I also suspect you might not be allocated if your collection location has a low volume of vehicles destined for it. They'll save costs on vehicle transport by not transporting a half laden trailer in which case the vehicle might be offered up to someone else.

It's been noted in multiple threads that deferring your collection date could also impact you. If you can't make a collection date then they'll offer the vehicle to someone else, someone who has been waiting for their allocation and VIN.

For me personally, I'm hoping I'll be able to take delivery in Sept but I'm not holding my breath given how late in Aug I ordered and how odd the order -> builds matching process seems to be.

On a side note, for those selling their existing cars, have you found the used car market is really good at the moment? I had a valuation today on my current vehicle that leaves me £4k in equity, Luckily I've been able to get them to guarantee the valuation and offer until the end of Sept.
I posted a link to a website further up in this thread (might have been the shipping thread) that explains the process pretty well. In essence Tesla build a bunch of cars that they decide. Orders come in. When a boat load leave China they match up orders to what’s on the way. 11 people ordering a red car even 2 months ago and if only 10 are on the way, 1 person will be let down, 9 people ordering a blue one with 10 on the way means 1 is available for whoever places an order today. You can only really compare one persons timeline to another by looking at model, config and options. The order to inventory matching appears to be manual which is frustrating for sure.

I posted a link to a website further up in this thread that explains the process pretty well. Tesla build a bunch of cars that they decide. Orders come in. When a boat load leave China they match up orders to what’s on the way. 11 people ordering a red car even 2 months ago and if only 10 are on the way, 1 person will be let down, 9 people ordering a blue one with 10 on the way means 1 is available for whoever places an order today. You can only really compare one persons timeline to another by looking at model, config and options. The order to inventory matching appears to be manual which is frustrating for sure.
Honestly I dont undertand how this cant be automated, unlike a porsche or an audi which have infinite choices, for example, a M3P literally has 10 variants (5 colours x 2 interiors , Long range has 20 variants and similar for SR ) , rest of the choices are software anyhow, you assign a Q to each model variant and geography and then orders go on top and delivers go at bottom based on order date.

Yeah, there's a big shortage of used vehicles on the market right now, before I decided on Tesla, I was looking around at different ICE cars and was pretty shocked at the lack of cars available. Guessing it has something to do with the pandemic. So if you're looking to sell, now is a good time.

Selling my car back to dealership at the end of month, +£3k in equity. Tesla's offer was pretty poor tbh, I would've just broke even, after settling the finance.

Reactions: moodel_tree
Honestly I dont undertand how this cant be automated, unlike a porsche or an audi which have infinite choices, for example, a M3P literally has 10 variants (5 colours x 2 interiors , Long range has 20 variants and similar for SR ) , rest of the choices are software anyhow, you assign a Q to each model variant and geography and then orders go on top and delivers go at bottom based on order date.
Tesla reduced the options so they don’t have to worry about building cars for people, they just build a mix of cars. Order an Audi and your Vin is attached to a build slot which you’re taking. Tesla like to be different but have scaled badly in a lot of areas. When the M3 launched the website was putting up inventory which people were buying even though it matched custom orders, they just hadn’t allocated the car to the order. It should be seamless but you’ll always get the variability of delivery times based on spec etc when Tesla take a punt on what to build and not on what’s actually ordered

Tesla reduced the options so they don’t have to worry about building cars for people, they just build a mix of cars. Order an Audi and your Vin is attached to a build slot which you’re taking. Tesla like to be different but have scaled badly in a lot of areas. When the M3 launched the website was putting up inventory which people were buying even though it matched custom orders, they just hadn’t allocated the car to the order. It should be seamless but you’ll always get the variability of delivery times based on spec etc when Tesla take a punt on what to build and not on what’s actually ordered
Yeah, I don't believe it's made to order. More like, they manufacture a bunch of vehicles in certain specs, producing higher volumes of the more commonly ordered variants and then they assign orders to what's produced.

Anyone who orders less common variants are s**t out of luck and at the mercy of the production line, they just wait for their variants to be batch made and hope there isn't a lot of similar orders.

I ordered on 17th August, still not received an allocation text and still no VIN showing in the page source. The wait is intolerable, and I sold my car yesterday! Really hoping I'm still on for a September delivery.

I ordered back on 31st July and am in the same situation. No info of any kind yet. Plus, I sold my car two weeks ago. I can manage without a car (barely) until mid/late September but if it gets pushed to Q4 I'll have to make other arrangements.

Reactions: moodel_tree
It does seem like some proper chaos allocating who gets what. I'm holding onto my current car. Couldn't really cope without one for anything more than a week. I got a delivery text saying its the 21st of next month. Car is on a PCP and is in positive equity just now. I'm guessing if there are any delays to this they would let me know. I'm planning on just chucking my car at WBAC on the 18th of Sept.

It does seem like some proper chaos allocating who gets what. I'm holding onto my current car. Couldn't really cope without one for anything more than a week. I got a delivery text saying its the 21st of next month. Car is on a PCP and is in positive equity just now. I'm guessing if there are any delays to this they would let me know. I'm planning on just chucking my car at WBAC on the 18th of Sept.
Make sure you check Motorway before you decide on WBAC. I got an extra £2k over what WBAC were offering and £7k more than Tesla's offer!

Make sure you check Motorway before you decide on WBAC.
will do! its off to the garage on Monday, when I got it I purchases the alloy wheel and tyre cover. So figured I'd get a kerb ding in one of the wheels fixed before I sell it. 21" diamond cut things. Will need to ponder if I get similar cover for the Teslas wheels, the car is through my company car scheme and I'm guessing they will want the car back in reasonable shape at the end of the 3 years!

Agree, but they should have real time data flowing to the factory showing variant by variant demand, which assume is what they use to schedule what is getting produced, maybe that's where the issue is, that process is still a manual batch process based on guestimates from last quarter, etc and you would have small mismatches every quarter...
Anyhow if they apply 1% of the effort they are putting into self-driving and the AI bot this would be so much more efficient and more importantly transparent, think about the number of hours Luke (on online chat) would have been saved answering the same question again and again 😃.

Called tesla again today to ask about delivery and VIN. Turns out the earlier asigned VIN was «lost», and that they need to allocate a new car. So pissed off right now. My car was most likely on Lake Geneva with VIN 326. Now I can see VIN 340… Is my car even in transit?