Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK 2021 Orders and Pending Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
😂 well the cars are on the same boats so for the sake of this lets refer to it as "Europe" rather than the EU ;).
Not quite. EU (I.e the continent) have had the newer batteries advertised on Tesla.com for some time, so people ordering for Q4 delivery are ordering the new battery packs.

The U.K. does not have the updated packs advertised on the site yet, so orders are still in theory for the older battery type.

It’s an important technicality, those in the EU are guaranteed a new battery (or a discount / rejection of the car). Those in the U.K. aren’t if they receive a smaller pack (as that’s what they ordered, anything bigger is a bonus).

I don’t know why EU countries are being advertised the new pack and the U.K. isn’t, but it’s certainly a thing right now.

It’s a good thing we share boats, as it points to U.K. orders having the bigger packs too, but nothing is guaranteed for us at this stage.

Sorry, not being facetious with the EU/U.K. thing, just making clear that the UK is not being advertised with the bigger pack. SR 278 and LR 360 range still the advertised range for the U.K.

Not quite. EU (I.e the continent) have had the newer batteries advertised on Tesla.com for some time, so people ordering for Q4 delivery are ordering the new battery packs.

The U.K. does not have the updated packs advertised on the site yet, so orders are still in theory for the older battery type.

It’s an important technicality, those in the EU are guaranteed a new battery (or a discount / rejection of the car). Those in the U.K. aren’t if they receive a smaller pack (as that’s what they ordered), anything bigger is a bonus.

I don’t know why EU countries are being advertised the new pack and the U.K. isn’t, but it’s certainly a thing right now.
Another Technicality Ireland is part of EU (the blighters ;) ) and cars come through Southampton so better to refer to it as mainland Europe to avoid confusion. I would think the Irish spec will be the same as the UK. But would it be a little strange the mainland Europe battery specs would be different its just LHD vs RHD really.

It’s an important technicality, those in the EU are guaranteed a new battery (or a discount / rejection of the car). Those in the U.K. aren’t if they receive a smaller pack (as that’s what they ordered, anything bigger is a bonus).

Sorry, not being facetious with the EU/U.K. thing, just making clear that the UK is not being advertised with the bigger pack. SR 278 and LR 360 range still the advertised range for the U.K.
I think the 8th VIN digit “J” indicates the new motor and 60Kw battery configuration. The previous version was “A”

Reactions: SR-Plus
Leased vehicle so cant check the source but seeing the same model as me ordered a lot later with VINS in source. Check with Chat on the site and just get the very generic response of "Thank you for getting in touch. Estimated delivery timescale for your order would be approximately December. We will be able to narrow this down for you when a car has been assigned to your order. We will contact you, by SMS, as soon as a car is assigned." Hopefully it has been allocated already and just a case of Chat not being up to scratch/inconsistent.

I'm cash buyer too, however I think the implication of the finance vs. cash priority was that finance might actually be preferred/prioritised by Tesla since it is financially to their advantage? Also my Southampton pick-up could mean that there's more leeway to delay my order vs. one that then has to be delivered elsewhere in the country, though I have no evidence to support either hypothesis!
Possibly, my pick up is Bristol as it is slightly closer to me than Soton. Fingers crossed you get news soon!

It’s a good thing we share boats, as it points to U.K. orders having the bigger packs too, but nothing is guaranteed for us at this stage.

Just checked there and the LR is 580 KM on the irish site, 614 on Netherlands site (to do a comparison on KM's as it 360 miles on UK). So maybe RHD still would have the old battery configuration?

I don't see any difference on the SR+ re the configurations on the country specific sites (448km)

Just checked there and the LR is 580 KM on the irish site, 614 on Netherlands site (to do a comparison on KM's as it 360 miles on UK). So maybe RHD still would have the old battery configuration?

I don't see any difference on the SR+ re the configurations on the country specific sites (448km)
Yeah it could come down the the drive, that being said, the pack is presumably installed before the components that dictate the hand the drive is on, so maybe not?

Who knows… will have to wait and see. My U.K. VIN has a J, so that seems to indicate the new pack?

Reactions: BevyBoy
US LR have a 82 kWh Panasonic battery. Different to MiC vehicles.

No one has had a LR UK delivery in Q4 yet, they don't arrive until 5+ weeks into the quarter. All Q3 vehicles were the smaller battery.

All we know at this point is some vehicles going to Australia have a larger battery - this is the first time MiC have had the new LG battery pack. Mainland Europe will get this as their vehicles are advertised with the higher range.

It's just a guessing game at this stage whether the UK will start to get the newer pack, and when. I suspect we will but not until inventory of the old has been used, so early Q4 vehicles may be on the older ones and later on the newer. Once there is no chance of a lower capacity battery I suspect Tesla will update the advertised spec of the LR in the UK (with a possible price rise too).
Thank you, this is super useful and clears up alot of the grey areas I had. So, the easiest way now is for people on here pending LR deliveries, Please Update us when you know more on what your batt capacity actually is.

The easiest way to tell is via the V5C document which will show the variant code or plugging in an OBD2.

But would it be a little strange the mainland Europe battery specs would be different its just LHD vs RHD really.
RHD production switched to China at the end of 2020, and therefore the UK and Ireland received LRs with the lower capacity LG battery packs compared to the rest of Europe who's vehicles continued to be MiA with a larger Panasonic pack for Q1 and Q2 2021.

In Q3 mainland Europe vehicles were supplied by China, and I believe people were given the choice to either take delivery early with a lower range or wait another quarter for their order to turn up. At the time there was a question mark over whether production would switch back to America for Q4 or a newer battery pack would be available in China - it seems the later.

It doesn't make sense for two different LR battery packs to exist, so I'm sure once supply of the new packs can meet full demand then the UK vehicles will start to get the higher capacity - we just don't know when that will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: BevyBoy
Heh, I had my VIN pop up in the source code yesterday - but thought I'd contact support chat to get a bit more info on estimated delivery date.
They claim I haven't had a car allocated yet *shrug*.
I just had a bit of a cryptic conversation with CS chat… I asked if one had been assigned and they said nothing had been confirmed but to expect a late Nov or early Dec delivery.

When questioned further if a provisional VIN had been assigned I again got a bit of a cryptic response- ‘Again, nothing has been confirmed so I can’t see that information’

Usually I just get a flat- not yet you will get a text. I have a feeling I have a VIN but they are not saying on chat which seems to be consistent with what you are saying. I’m on a lease so can’t view source code

Thank you, this is super useful and clears up alot of the grey areas I had. So, the easiest way now is for people on here pending LR deliveries, Please Update us when you know more on what your batt capacity actually is.
RHD production switched to China at the end of 2020, and therefore the UK and Ireland received LRs with the lower capacity LG battery packs compared to the rest of Europe who's vehicles continued to be MiA with a larger Panasonic pack for Q1 and Q2 2021.

In Q3 mainland Europe vehicles were supplied by China, and I believe people were given the choice to either take delivery early with a lower range or wait another quarter for their order to turn up. At the time there was a question mark over whether production would switch back to America for Q4 or a newer battery pack would be available in China - it seems the later.

It doesn't make sense for two different LR battery packs to exist, some I'm sure once supply of the new packs can meet full demand then the UK vehicles will start to get the higher capacity - we just don't know when that will be.
Yeah, this makes sense. Equally for SR+ too.

Fingers crossed Q4 U.K. deliveries are on the new pack.

We just need to wait and see.

Yeah, this makes sense. Equally for SR+ too.

Fingers crossed Q4 U.K. deliveries are on the new pack.

We just need to wait and see.
True.

Well, depends if people get their cars and f*off from the Forum. Think If I find out its the old battery, I'll just cancel my order and wait it out. that extra 30-40 miles on the LR could change everything. Thankfully (at this point) I've only just ordered and so not even close to a VIN yet.

I just had a bit of a cryptic conversation with CS chat… I asked if one had been assigned and they said nothing had been confirmed but to expect a late Nov or early Dec delivery.

When questioned further if a provisional VIN had been assigned I again got a bit of a cryptic response- ‘Again, nothing has been confirmed so I can’t see that information’

Usually I just get a flat- not yet you will get a text. I have a feeling I have a VIN but they are not saying on chat which seems to be consistent with what you are saying. I’m on a lease so can’t view source code
Similar to me. Lease purchase. CS rep told me they couldn’t give me my specific vin as they couldn’t see that info due to the type of purchase. But, they said I had been “matched with a car”.

True.

Well, depends if people get their cars and f*off from the Forum. Think If I find out its the old battery, I'll just cancel my order and wait it out. that extra 30-40 miles on the LR could change everything. Thankfully (at this point) I've only just ordered and so not even close to a VIN yet.
I’d maybe wait and see what the charge time is like on the new packs. It’s a only 9% increase and if that increase slows charge speed by 16% or something it’s a negative economy. Don’t be too hasty!

20-30mls in reality is just stopping for that supercharge 10-15mins sooner.