Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.28.X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated this week and think I've skipped a version where the radar is now off.
Using Autopilot at night now puts the lights on auto high beam? Was this introduced in the last version?
Yes, installing version 2022.24.6 or later means you’ll be transitioned to Tesla Vision, which disables the radar and forces auto high beam and auto wipers every time you activate Autopilot.

Auto high beam can be turned off each time you activate, but auto wipers can’t.

Reactions: Columbo
So I deliberately tried the opposite earlier today...

It wasn't in the release notes just after the install and wasn't working when I tested with a route...

So I just waited and I deliberately did not reboot... About 10 minutes later, even without the car sleeping, it suddenly appeared when I set a route. And at the same time, it appeared in the release notes.

I suspect there is also an associated mother ship switch that is run every x minutes, probably related to it's dependency upon premium connectivity. So depending how close you are to the next run, it might be instant or it might be a wait.
There's clearly something happening, which could be as simple as a local refresh of the screen. I say that because my experience was similar to yours (also without a reboot) but even quicker:

- got into the car in the garage after the update, and release note on screen doesn't mention alternative routes - only shows one item (I forget which). I leave the note on screen.
- reverse out of the garage and put the car into park. When the reverse camera closes, the release note is refreshed on screen, showing the full set of updates including alternative routes.

Make of it what you will! Oh, and alternative routes worked immediately too.

There’s talk on Facebook that the whole alternative routes feature is supposed to be restricted to Premium Connectivity subscribers entirely, not just the traffic conditions part.

That would make the whole “feature suddenly appears” thing make more sense.

Yes, installing version 2022.24.6 or later means you’ll be transitioned to Tesla Vision, which disables the radar and forces auto high beam and auto wipers every time you activate Autopilot.

Auto high beam can be turned off each time you activate, but auto wipers can’t.
The wipers have always been annoying, but I had to turn off cruise control the other day as the wipers were just wiping fresh air from the screen, not a drop of moisture on the screen.

It just because the notes say it requires premium connectivity to show the traffic on the screen
That’s my reading too. I dare say Tesla may turn the screw to get more to take out PC, so who really knows, and if they do we’ll have pages of debate arguing ‘PC is great value as it gives you traffic visuals, Spotify, sat images, alternate routes etc” v ‘Tesla have taken away features that should be included as std’

Lets be honest, when the wipers dry wipe, it’s not because the “screen is a bit dirty”, it’s because the design is fundamentally flawed. I’ve had auto wipers on cars since the early 2000’s and they worked perfectly, dirty screen or not. Using a camera to guess if it’s raining just doesn’t work. I shouldn’t have to keep wasting washer fluid to try and get the blasted things to stop wiping away flickering sunlight at double wiper speed. It’s the one feature of the car I’m truly disappointed by. The rest of the tech is superb, the dogmatic approach to vision based rain detection has not worked at all in the 18 months we’ve owned the car.

I'm on 28.1 and I seem to have something seriously wrong with Autopilot. It flashes up some sort of system malfunction, flashes up the red hands on the steering wheel, aborts and then says " cruise control unavailable" or "automatic emergency braking unavailable." This was a real pain as I was driving back from Exeter to London tonight. Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me? Do I need to report it to Tesla or wait for the next update?

I'm on 28.1 and I seem to have something seriously wrong with Autopilot. It flashes up some sort of system malfunction, flashes up the red hands on the steering wheel, aborts and then says " cruise control unavailable" or "automatic emergency braking unavailable." This was a real pain as I was driving back from Exeter to London tonight. Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me? Do I need to report it to Tesla or wait for the next update?
I’ve seen the red hands on the black wheel.while on 24.8. It was popping up in between the normal nag on AP. I thought it was just a different nag.
It didn’t abort at all. I only had them on one drive the day after updating to 24.8 and nothing since.
presume you’ve tried the 2 button reboot.
I’d report it. It can probably be sorted remotely.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
I’ve seen the red hands on the black wheel.while on 24.8. It was popping up in between the normal nag on AP. I thought it was just a different nag.
It didn’t abort at all. I only had them on one drive the day after updating to 24.8 and nothing since.
presume you’ve tried the 2 button reboot.
I’d report it. It can probably be sorted remotely.
Yes I tried the 2 button reboot. Didn't work. Then pulled over and did the hard reboot including the brake. Didn't work. The only thing that worked was stopping to supercharge. I have requested a service in the app. I presume if it isn't just me they will say. They can access the logs.

Reactions: Dilly
Yes I tried the 2 button reboot. Didn't work. Then pulled over and did the hard reboot including the brake. Didn't work. The only thing that worked was stopping to supercharge. I have requested a service in the app. I presume if it isn't just me they will say. They can access the logs.
That’s tough luck @AnthonyLR hopefully just a glitch.
I wasn’t quick enough to see what the red hand nags said. I thought it might be the cabin camera activated.
when I twitched the wheel they went away same as the normal nags.

Reactions: AnthonyLR