Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m cynical so I think that there’s probably a lot of people out there only casually looking at the road when in Autopilot.
I tend to agree.
I do look down at the screen when changing music or something I can't do using voice control but only when using AP & nothing is close by, hence having the camera blocked. So far I'm not getting any nags or warnings about that.

Driving off the Eurotunnel in France earlier I saw this message. Never seen before but it only appeared briefly. New in recent update? I’m on 44.30.2

IMG_1797.jpeg

Not going to lie - if people are getting burned by this new system then I’m starting to wonder just how inattentive they are on the road? If you’re staring at the screen for long enough for it to kick you out of AP then you’re travelling reasonable distances whilst not looking at the road..
Indeed I am travelling some distance, that's what Autopilot is supposed to be taking care of for me.

Now, I am well aware of my responsibility for supervision and safety, and I would only look away if it was clear that there would be very low likelihood of needing to intervene, in my example last night a motorway leaving London that was so quiet my full beams kept coming on as there were no cars at all seen in front.

I get the point, people take something and push the limits until it's dangerous, I'm sure we've alls seen videos of people taking it far too far. The eye gaze thing though literally beeps in less time than it takes to even read information on the screen. I'm sure there is a happier balance point to be found.

Not to be too libertarian around this there is no current regulation that requires this features here or in the US, Tesla reaches a deal with a US regulator to allow this as a compensating control to allow them to have more lenient terms for other autopilot features. i.e. none of those failings are Tesla's problem as the driver should be looking and we validate that they are. Tesla should make autopilot safer so their customers keep the same driving experience.

holding the wheel firmly with both hands

I hold it with one hand, at about 4 O'Clock, so that there is constant vertical drag from weight of my arm. (I note you said wiggling too, and still getting warnings. I haven't tried with latest software yet, but my one-arm and constant-rotational-torque as a result has been OK for me so far)

Reactions: boombap and Drew57
I’m cynical so I think that there’s probably a lot of people out there only casually looking at the road when in Autopilot.

I use AP to enable me to be a good look-out - far ahead, far behind, etc. 'coz I don;t have to use any brain-power for micro adjustments on the steering wheel

But ... when I first got AP (2015) I became complacent, over time. Then there were a number of fatal crashes, where people had clearly placed blind-faith in AP (one drove into the side of an HGV which was crossing a dual carriageway, it was established that the driver had had uninterrupted straight line view of the road for hundreds of yards and weather was clear / lovely, they clearly were not looking out of the windscreen). The other drove into a concrete bollard where the road split (and the road marking were poor, and road maintenance had removed the protecting Armco, and should have put a sand bollard (or somesuch - it was USA) and hadn't done. That person had complained to friends that the car had tried to kill him, at that spot, on previous days using AP.

So after that I decided that AP making a wrong, life ending, decision was possible, maybe only once in umpteen-car-ownerships, but I didn't want to be that statistic. So now I only use AP as a tool - subjectively I think I arrive in much fresher condition, on 4+ hour journeys, than when in ICE cars when I had TACC, and I put that down to less driver workload, and maybe quieter cabin etc. On those journeys I'm just trogging along the motorway at whatever speed taraffic permits, same as before.

So my advice to anyone using AP is "stay safe", and as O/P said if there are folk "casually looking at the road when in Autopilot" then don't be one of them please.

I hold it with one hand, at about 4 O'Clock, so that there is constant vertical drag from weight of my arm. (I note you said wiggling too, and still getting warnings. I haven't tried with latest software yet, but my one-arm and constant-rotational-torque as a result has been OK for me so far)
Would be really interested to see if that still works. Might be a couple of days before I get chance to test (damned viruses).

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Same for me, I didn’t notice the message, but the lights adjusted automatically just seconds outside the train last Saturday.
If this is as good as it sounds, then thats great news. It’s the newer models with matrix-tech lamps that were/are the issue, such as yours.
The earlier cars (such as @speedyranger74’s) don’t have the left-hand side ‘up-tick’ that does the dazzling once on the Continent. They were just flat, LHD or RHD.

Reactions: Cardo
Driving off the Eurotunnel in France earlier I saw this message. Never seen before but it only appeared briefly. New in recent update? I’m on 44.30.2

View attachment 1002128
Please do report back as to whether the lights have actually swapped over. This would be a very welcome change as when visiting the continent I’ve had to manually adjust the lights down to stop getting angry flashed by every oncoming car.

Please do report back as to whether the lights have actually swapped over. This would be a very welcome change as when visiting the continent I’ve had to manually adjust the lights down to stop getting angry flashed by every oncoming car.

Mine swapped the head lights over when I was on the continent recently. I can’t say I noticed the message but I physically saw the lights adjust on the exit road from the tunnel. The kick up moved from the left side (there it would light up signs etc in the U.K.) to the right side to where the signs would be in mainland Europe. The lights were bang on for foreign driving.

This was pre- holiday update.

• Informative
Reactions: thax1 and Cardo
Mine swapped the head lights over when I was on the continent recently. I can’t say I noticed the message but I physically saw the lights adjust on the exit road from the tunnel. The kick up moved from the left side (there it would light up signs etc in the U.K.) to the right side to where the signs would be in mainland Europe. The lights were bang on for foreign driving.

This was pre- holiday update.
Spectacular. I spent a few months in Spain over the summer and the feature wasn’t around then, but it’s welcome news, none the less!

Reactions: thax1
They have and very noticeably from my POV.

I come to France at least once a month and I’ve never been flashed from oncoming traffic in the Tesla even though it was previously obvious that the left light was illuminating much further than the right. Maybe my lights were still low enough to not be a problem. I’ve been flashed loads in previous years when using cars with deflectors.

Had a weird notification on my phone today that an update failed, not that I had asked it to do one or was even aware that one was available. Went out to the car to see the same message on the screen.

Had my first real drive since the new updates rolled in and it CONSTANTLY kept nagging me to pay attention and it was 100% the interior camera doing it.

I had dark sunglasses on, as I always do because I have super sensitivity to daylight.

So yeah...if this is here to stay I think i'll be joining the guys going after Tesla for FSD refunds.