Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK accessories for RHD Model 3 [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to order this USB for the M3 dash cam.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N0YZVQE/ref=psdc_430554031_t1_B01MU8TZRV
Heard that it needs to be top spec because of the constant re-write with the dashcam (FUD?). Can anyone confirm it this will fit as it looked quite big?

I've got this based on recommendations on this site...it's tiny and cheaper then the one you are looking at...
SanDisk so not a cheap knock off

SanDisk Ultra Fit 128 GB USB 3.1... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07855LJ99?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will my SD card be used for both dashcam and sentry mode? In the same folder? Or do I need two?
The dashcam and sentry mode use the same drive and a folder called TeslaCam. This folder needs to be in the root of the drive.

The dashcam records a rolling one hour of video in small clips, so after an hour of driving the oldest clips get over-written. If there is an event you want to record and keep simply tapping the TeslaCam logo on the touchscreen will save the last 10 minutes of footage as a separate clip, which won’t get over-written.

Sentry mode records it’s events as separate clips in the same TeslaCam folder.

Following on from a previous poster, there is a thread where they say any use >32Mb keep getting usb too slow errors. Is that still true or have tesla fixed the software?
As far as I am aware, its still an issue with 2019.32 but there is no obvious clue as to what the actual cause is and when it may start happening to someone - two identical spec cars and USB sticks may be behave quite different. I did ask if the problem followed the stick or the car, but didn't get a sensible reply.

Whats the size to go for? How long will 32GB last?
From what I remember the rolling hour of dashcam uses about 8GB of storage, and each 10 minute clip you save uses about 1GB, so you can work out what you need from that.

I’ve got a 128GB drive, but it’s partitioned into two drives, a 32GB one for TeslaCam and 96GB for some USB music. As I’ve only had the car for a week, I’m not sure yet if 32GB is going to be correct.

The dashcam and sentry mode use the same drive and a folder called TeslaCam. This folder needs to be in the root of the drive.

The dashcam records a rolling one hour of video in small clips, so after an hour of driving the oldest clips get over-written. If there is an event you want to record and keep simply tapping the TeslaCam logo on the touchscreen will save the last 10 minutes of footage as a separate clip, which won’t get over-written.

Sentry mode records it’s events as separate clips in the same TeslaCam folder.

Thanks very much for the explanation!

Reactions: Roy W.
46705CCE-B097-4ED8-804F-A4A191EDAAB1.jpeg
00445425-B590-42BA-BFDB-E6B52314960F.jpeg
Finally got around to installing the Abstract Ocean console wrap. My ones the Brushed Black finish.