Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why can't they just do ANPR with an 'if its a tesla ignore it' filter? Most of the time this is to stop casual parkers or neighbouring business parks/industrial estates from taking the mick. Clearly Tesla do deals with these places and its unlikely a tesla will be stopping to take advantage of parking but not be charging or staying at the hotel. Registering (or at least the stress involved in a location like this wondering if you need to or get fined) is such a pain
Because some Tesla Owners will end up paying, and that's how the parking company makes it's money.

The government really needs to take action to prevent these type of leaches, prevent the DVLA from providing driver details to companies that receive more than 10% appeals, or get the ICO to decide that recording numberplates is a breach of privacy.

Reactions: tsh2
why can't they just do ANPR with an 'if its a tesla ignore it' filter? Most of the time this is to stop casual parkers or neighbouring business parks/industrial estates from taking the mick. Clearly Tesla do deals with these places and its unlikely a tesla will be stopping to take advantage of parking but not be charging or staying at the hotel. Registering (or at least the stress involved in a location like this wondering if you need to or get fined) is such a pain
Agreed that’s a solution., when I registered today it obviously had access to a database as it confirmed back my reg with “blue Tesla Model X”.
I suppose one reason could be that they hope to benefit from new footfall so registration means owners need to set foot inside.

The government really needs to take action to prevent these type of leaches, prevent the DVLA from providing driver details to companies that receive more than 10% appeals, or get the ICO to decide that recording numberplates is a breach of privacy.
You would think the DVLA selling the data to a commercial operator is itself a breach of privacy. I never agreed to that.

You would think the DVLA selling the data to a commercial operator is itself a breach of privacy. I never agreed to that.

The DVLA rely on Regulation 27(1)(e) of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002:

The Secretary of State may make any particulars contained in the register available for use—
by any person who can show to the satisfaction of the Secretary of State that he has reasonable cause for wanting the particulars to be made available to him.

Full legislation here: The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002

I guess that someone with sufficient money and access to a great legal team might be able to challenge it for PPC use, but I'd also guess that if it was stopped then sufficient "donations" would be made to the right party to get specific changes made that allow it again.

In reality all you actually need is a clause forbidding charges where public infrastructure access (like charging stations) is needed.

I used to frequently stay in a hotel that was next to a McDonalds and it was often impossible for guests to park in the hotel car park between about 5pm and 8pm because of McDonalds customers parking in it to eat their food. As there was no other parking nearby the hotel started with signs saying stuff like, "This car park is for use by hotel guests, would McDonalds customers please use the McDonalds car park", then staff asking people to move - to the accompaniment of abuse - and finally ended with them installing Parking Eye.

I hate to say it, but it fixed the problem in about two months, so there is a value to these systems in the right circumstances and the hotel were always fine about cancelling any charges for guests who forgot to register.

Last edited:
Reactions: Godsense and arg
The DVLA rely on Regulation 27(1)(e) of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002:

Full legislation here: The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002

I guess that someone with sufficient money and access to a great legal team might be able to challenge it for PPC use, but I'd also guess that if it was stopped then sufficient "donations" would be made to the right party to get specific changes made that allow it again.

In reality all you actually need is a clause forbidding charges where public infrastructure access (like charging stations) is needed.

I used to frequently stay in a hotel that was next to a McDonalds and it was often impossible for guests to park in the hotel car park between about 5pm and 8pm because of McDonalds customers parking in it to eat their food. As there was no other parking nearby the hotel started with signs saying stuff like, "This car park is for use by hotel guests, would McDonalds customers please use the McDonalds car park", then staff asking people to move - to the accompaniment of abuse - and finally ended with them installing Parking Eye.

I hate to say it, but it fixed the problem in about two months, so there is a value to these systems in the right circumstances and the hotel were always fine about cancelling any charges for guests who forgot to register.

but this is like McDonald’s paying the hotel to installing a drive thru in the car park, then fining people that come to it

I understand the reasons for trying to avoid people parking where they shouldn’t but there needs to be better ways to handle the people that *should* be there

Last edited:
but this is like McDonald’s paying the hotel to installing a drive thru in the car park, then dining people that come to it

I understand the reasons for trying to avoid people parking where they shouldn’t but there needs to be better ways to handle the people that *should* be there

Oh yeah, definitely. In the case of Tesla charging on the motorway I don't think it would be unreasonable to have two hour's grace as most people would be gone in that time.

I was trying to make the point that sometimes there are very real reasons for these systems to be installed, but if they do their job then it isn't always clear afterwards why they were put in. I still hate them and the shysters who operate them, though.

Reactions: Mrklaw
The Secretary of State may make any particulars contained in the register available for use—
by any person who can show to the satisfaction of the Secretary of State that he has reasonable cause for wanting the particulars to be made available to him.

'Reasonable cause' is the moot point here. Clearly reasonable is judged according to the interest of the party buying and/or selling the data, not the party who's data is being sold. The trade in my data may be arguably 'reasonable' but it is still just as immoral as the clamping cowboys it has replaced. Licensed mugging with a kickback to her majesty's DVLC.

(Don't get me started on 'safety cameras' either.)

*/rant off

Trentham now marked as open on Tesla’s site (thanks @corywright)

View attachment 679726

Reports of Aberystwyth, Wales open as well as Cork, Ireland.

Can anyone confirm? Non of these are on the Model 3 Nav yet

edit: @PB1975 beat me to it:cool:

Just wanted to add that I popped round to Trentham again last night and I can confirm that they are definitely very operational and pleasantly surprised to find them all very accessible (no icing thus far... our ICE brethren are parked on the opposing bays though! :)

Attachments

• teslacharger1.jpg
    teslacharger1.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 77
  • teslacharger2.jpg
    teslacharger2.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: cezdoc
In hindsight I've moved my part of the DVLA discussion over to the appropriate thread:

FYI, Trumpington / Cambridge Park-and-Ride is 36p/kWh 🙄 while it looks like Heathrow/Hilton is now 20p 24/7 not just in off-peak hours 👍
Yes it is. Didn’t realise initially as was so excited to see supercharger 5mts from Waitrose. Over the top pricing at the moment. Anyhow I have some leftover Referral’s miles that will expire in few months so will charge as much. Attached a picture

Attachments

• 0B1C0363-2E1F-4E4F-AE8E-C42D4052BBA4.jpeg
    0B1C0363-2E1F-4E4F-AE8E-C42D4052BBA4.jpeg
    409.9 KB · Views: 50
Guildford service centre now has Superchargers according to this tweet. Can anyone confirm?

Definitely not…. YET! It has Wall a connectors for service centre use only.
It has been surveyed for Superchargers and 8x V3 are approved with the location being directly opposite the main entrance (and the wall connectors).
I’m in regular contact with the centre manager there so hope to have all the latest info as things progress but currently the estimate is Q4. Obviously the next challenge is working with the DNO to get the increased power to the site.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: cezdoc and CMc1
I've updated the wiki post at the start of this thread to include updates for Ireland (at the end of the post). Good to see some activity there after a long dry spell. The flurry of site openings at the end of June included the first Irish V3 Supercharger (Cork).

Straying somewhat off topic, while having a nosey around supercharge.info I noticed that in recent days Iceland got three new Superchargers, so now it's just about possible to get round the whole country using Superchargers, and Norway has broken the record for the most northerly Supercharger (again) with the opening of Honningsvåg.

It was also mentioned on the TOUK post that Nottingham was fully commissioned / expanded to 8 bays (up from the original 4) at some point in Q2 - can anyone confirm this?
I did a bit of research to answer my own question. It looks like the 4 remaining stalls were being commissioned around the 12th/13th June but there were some teething troubles; presumably these were resolved soon afterwards: my car's Nav was reporting 8 stalls available yesterday:

2021-07 Nottingham Commissioning.jpg