Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_2019-07-16-21-48-35-446_com.android.chrome.png

The boxes in the background of this picture, often hidden behind fencing in the UK.

Over the weekend, I came in via Fleet (North) to find the superchargers. Nice and easy to find, with a couple of Model S' on charge.

I was trying to concentrate on not knocking anyone over in the busy area, so didn't get to have much more than a glance, but I am sure that some still had their plastic wrappers on, albeit rolled down. It may just have been the left most ones.

Either I am wrong, someone did a sloppy job removing the plastic wraps, or not all the stalls are in use. Can anyone confirm?

Either I am wrong, someone did a sloppy job removing the plastic wraps, or not all the stalls are in use. Can anyone confirm?

I haven’t been there for a while but I think there’s still two wrapped up. My recollection was that they needed the southbound to come on line for full power to be available, but I’m not 100% on that. As we all know, southbound has gone nowhere for a very long time.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
I haven’t been there for a while but I think there’s still two wrapped up. My recollection was that they needed the southbound to come on line for full power to be available, but I’m not 100% on that. As we all know, southbound has gone nowhere for a very long time.
That makes sense. My instant assessment, without giving it any thought, was that they were meant to be wrapped, but someone had tried to get to the unit - maybe to try and use them - more likely if the other units were up and running.

Well obviously I took my whining to its extremes....but nice to get a reply that actually forces someone in government to try to justify their mediocre charging infrastructure...only cost me 1 email:

Imgur

relevant bit:
We are consulting on proposals for
chargepoints to be installed with all newly built homes in England, where
appropriate, and we also want all new lampposts to include charging
infrastructure.

relevant bit:
We are consulting on proposals for
chargepoints to be installed with all newly built homes in England, where
appropriate, and we also want all new lampposts to include charging
infrastructure.

Usual gov absurdity. I could understand putting in the wiring for 32A, even a commando socket, but a whole charger? Nah - what system?. It's going to be as chaotic as smart meters with some gov pal making loot at everyone's expense.

Alternatively Tesla being too tight to pay or not thinking through the logistics in advance.

Dunno if they were too tight, might have been of course, but they have said they have changed to getting all that sorted upfront as they were unhappy at how they got caught out with original projects. maybe it wasn't a problem in USA, plenty of space and planning probably easier, and were not anticipating issues in UK when they started out.

Reactions: goRt
150kw for the rest of the EV world, on the news today.
1. No current vehicle suitable.
2. 40 only, across UK....by end of NEXT year.

Tough life, for non-Tesla owners.

This is a bit confusing without context. You're saying there is a company going to build 40x 150kW fast charging stations across the UK in the 18 months? That sounds pretty good for a county the size of the UK.

I'm not sure what you mean by "no current vehicle suitable". Not sure what you mean here. Ioniq, Kona and Niro charge at 70kW, i-Pace at 80kW, e-Tron at 150kW, Tesla Model 3 has CCS2 so can also use these at up to 150kW, Leaf at 50 to 100 kW. So plenty of current vehicles can use it (and I haven't included ones coming next year like the VW ID 3 or the Honda-e)

It doesn't sound that tough, unless sarcasm is not coming across....

You're saying there is a company going to build 40x 150kW fast charging stations across the UK in the 18 months? That sounds pretty good for a county the size of the UK.
Bear in mind that we currently have 51 supercharger sites with an average of 6.6 superchargers/site, and 11 more on the way, with an average of 15.6 superchargers/site, bringing the average to 8.2 superchargers/site.
Even if this only increased by 50% by the end of next year, that would be over 75 supercharger sites and 550+ superchargers, some of which would be 250kW and the rest 150kW.

Compare this to 40 sites with an average of 4 chargers/site (160 chargers), and you'll see why it's a tough life for non-Tesla owners.