Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned but planning permission was granted on 10th July for the Moffat SC. I see that the 8 V4 Superchargers will be open to all vehicles. It's only a short hop from the M74 so will be a handy option falling between Gretna and Abington.

surprised to find 3 SC out of action at exeter today. They have blue marks sprayed on the floor - maybe plannign to make changes/move things when the new ones are open up? I hope they wait until after the summer hols though, we need the capacity
They took a couple of stalls out of action temporarily in Rugby for groundworks to run the cables to the newly installed stalls. Could be similar?

Reactions: Mrklaw

Mentions Pease Pottage delayed until September 9th due to local power issues amongst others mentioned below.

People keep talking about the number of chargers, but I keep talking about the amount of power that is available to actually turn those chargers on.'

It comes after 24 Gridserve and 24 Tesla chargers at Medway services in Kent were supposed to be operational in May, but the power will not be turned on until December.

Meanwhile projects have been postponed at Birch, near Rochdale, and at Lancaster services due to deadline for preparation work being missed.

Near Exeter Moto wanted a service station to have 56 chargers for this weekend but has ended up with 33.

Mr McMeikan said: 'If you think about the amount of fuel we supply through petrol forecourts that we are replacing with electricity, I genuinely don't think that the grid and the regional operators have really understood how much electricity is required and how quickly.'

The charging points are in seriously high demand - with 400,000 EV drivers set to be travelling around Britain this weekend alone

In a bid to help the issue Mr McMeikan now hopes to develop solar farms on land adjoining twelve motorway service stations, in locations such as Reading and Wetherby.

A spokesperson for UK Power Networks told The Sunday Times: 'In order to complete the works a number of consents are required, and we are working with the relevant statutory authorities and other parties to ensure the works are completed as soon as possible.'

• Informative
Reactions: cezdoc and Dat37863
I thought Grant Shapps said this has been sorted ?

I think money has been allocated - I don't know if its been released - and there are multiple planning applications for additional power reinforcment in key areas. I don't know how granular - eg cornwall services or leicester forest east or just 'north east' or similar.

I think that just takes time. Fastned/Osprey have warehouses full of chargers and wallets full of investment ready to go but the power companies will need council/planning/running cables etc.

I'm hoping some of that is in progress already and its a case of momentum waiting for those to start rolling out. Rather than not started yet and stuck in planning hell

Reactions: Dat37863
Pease Pottage update:

Everything now looks in place, but with tombstones and cabinets wrapped. Looking like now just waiting for power to be turned on.

P1.jpg
P2.jpg
P3.jpg
P4.jpg

That’s a Payter Apollo with the ability to accept PINs and QR codes via the inbuilt camera. Wonder if Tesla will adopt - must be a reason over the traditional modules Payter offer…. Will cover the screen requirements in the regs I suppose.

Another reason to now have Starlink terminals sitting on top of SuC cabinets...reliable backhaul connection for payments auth. etc independent of the vehicle?

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
nice! added it to my list. I kinda hope its a pubilc one - we have a lot down the A30 but there isn't a lot of open chargers. We have camborne, lifton, darts farm etc. this is a nice gap filler although more for spreading choice than needing to stop after another 25 miles :)

but then for non-tesla there are 8 opening at summercourt just down the road.

Reactions: Sean.