Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Anyone else considering refusing delivery by of Model Y? (USS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jeremymc7 you are possibly correct, I have been in his car but not had a drive, Tesla's EAP works well and pleased with it. It could do with some refinement especially in stop start traffic the start and stop are not as smooth and somewhat jerky, wipers have a mind of their own and on two occasions the car slowed down and then speeded up twice in succession for no apparent reason but yes the car drives well and easy entry is a help, just missing all the parking features.

jeremymc7 you are possibly correct, I have been in his car but not had a drive, Tesla's EAP works well and pleased with it. It could do with some refinement especially in stop start traffic the start and stop are not as smooth and somewhat jerky, wipers have a mind of their own and on two occasions the car slowed down and then speeded up twice in succession for no apparent reason but yes the car drives well and easy entry is a help, just missing all the parking features.

It is not a perfect system. None of them are. Blue, Cruse, Wayne, Mercedes, etc they also have their plus and minuses.

Tesla is the ONLY one that can be used on streets and highways on a coast to to coast trip.

Is it perfect. No. Is it going to maybe mistake. Yes, sometimes dangerous. None of them are truly level 3, or really level 2.

Not sure if I posted this here or in another thread but it’s interesting none the less.

EVERYONE has a LONG way to go. It maybe be years or even a decade or more at the current rate to get to TRUE nationwide (cities & streets) level 4 or even 3.

I’m happy enough with what we have not and the state of progress. Everyone besides Tesla is trying to say how amazing they are without highlighting how narrow the scope of the their perfection is limited. To a city, state, speed, roads, etc.

Watch the hundreds of Wayno videos I have. In the geo fenced locations they have they are quite good. But you often have to walk to or from a limited pickup / drop off site. To to mention how it gets stuck at various construction sites that aren’t mapped. Way I may have a custom one off $300K car but it gets tripped up pretty easily and you’re stuck for 20 min waiting for a human to arrive and finish the drive for you.

I’m not praising Tesla. But instead saying they are going to a broad approach that currently does surprisingly well all things considered. Others are taking a more narrow approach and saying how amazing they are under a very narrow set of circumstances, often with substantially more expensive hardware and or resources.

Take a look at the link above and comment back.

Seems like many / most others are dialing back their autonomous driving because it’s costs them too much, it doesn’t fit into their profitability matrix, or they can’t figure out a long term business model.

Tesla, so far, doesn’t care and is just plowing ahead; damm the consequences.

Musk maybe be a genius or an idiot. He may be narcissistic or just obsessed. But most everyone Elise, expect payable VW (and Prosche / Audi) is pulling back, bailing out & selling off - while Tesla just keep going.

Don’t get me wrong, if Polestar (or anyone else) gets FSD right, ideally with all the other stuff Telstra does that the big guys don’t, I’m more than happy to jump ship.

I want what I want, which is current tech, and am happy to pay for it - and no I’m not made of money.

Probably not.

Just someone living in the real world.

It'll be a cold day in hell before car manufacturers can be held responsible for accidents resulting from their driver aids mis-functioning.
The whole comment was a bit tongue in cheek. I am fully aware of how life works!

(It is still possible this is my Dad as he needs everything explaining to him.)

Lol. It isn’t fraud at all.

It might be fraud if they weren’t open about the fact they were removing USS, that there would be a gap in functionality before the new version shipped, hadn’t removed the relevant text about them from their website early last year, or they were just pretending that they were working on a replacement, but that isn’t the case.

Unanticipated software delays do not count as fraud.

edit: how does one change their username? I quite like Boombag.
You’re full of *sugar*

• Funny
Reactions: boombap
You’re full of *sugar*
Full of all that sugar I’ve been bringing home in my shiny Model Y that I didn’t clutch my pearls over and refuse delivery because of a total and utter non-issue.

The same Model Y which I reverse park daily and haven’t smacked it against anything because I have eyes, three rear facing cameras and a shiny new Tesla Vision based software update that brings back park assist as of about an hour ago.

😘

Had a reply from Tesla Customer Services on the 23 March 23, with apologies for the delay and assured me that the Park Assist has started to be distributed for OTA update and should be with me in a few days. This morning noticed that software Update 2023.6.9 available for installation. Will download this afternoon.

I have been complaining to Tesla UK customer Services, but I do understand that this a poor Tesla decision to remove USS before a working solution was available and beyond the staffs control. Interestingly I did notice a more customer focused response, hope its the start of a new era and that park, summon and special summons will follow.

Had a reply from Tesla Customer Services on the 23 March 23, with apologies for the delay and assured me that the Park Assist has started to be distributed for OTA update and should be with me in a few days. This morning noticed that software Update 2023.6.9 available for installation. Will download this afternoon.

I have been complaining to Tesla UK customer Services, but I do understand that this a poor Tesla decision to remove USS before a working solution was available and beyond the staffs control. Interestingly I did notice a more customer focused response, hope its the start of a new era and that park, summon and special summons will follow.
Yes now have update 2023.6.9 on my Tesla Y. Well its early days but so far not impressed and keep my local body shop telephone number on my favorites. As I said just tried it out for an hour and was totally disillusioned. Reverse Parking in my garage it showed a distance of 28", I stopped and got out as I could see that my front was nowhere near inside the garage, got out and and took a measurement and I had 2.34m or 92". Since having the tesla I have screwed a wood 2x2 baton on my garage floor so when the rear wheels touch I know that I have 18" before hitting the boxes, so I was comfortable in reversing whilst keeping an eye on the display, which keep telling me to "stop" Whilst it would have not damaged my bumper a third of the car was outside the garage and would not have been able to shut the doors. I then drove the car out of the garage towards metal gates, it showed 32" and when measured I was just touching the gate. I then drove to the front of my property the car did not notice the front RHS drive pillar, driving towards the property it did give measurements that were reasonably accurate within 4-5 inches to the property wall. The side wiggly lines did not display a measurement but I did find them useful.
It maybe that it does not like gates or boxes or maybe it need lots of data to be more accurate and I will try out different synecious before making a balanced decision if its useful or just a cheap gimmick that does not work.

Photo 1,2 & 3 Revising, 4 & 5 driving forwards.

Attachments

• Park.3.jpg
    Park.3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Park.1.jpg
    Park.1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Park.2.jpg
    Park.2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 49
  • Park.4.jpg
    Park.4.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Park.5.jpg
    Park.5.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 49
Yes now have update 2023.6.9 on my Tesla Y. Well its early days but so far not impressed and keep my local body shop telephone number on my favorites. As I said just tried it out for an hour and was totally disillusioned. Reverse Parking in my garage it showed a distance of 28", I stopped and got out as I could see that my front was nowhere near inside the garage, got out and and took a measurement and I had 2.34m or 92". Since having the tesla I have screwed a wood 2x2 baton on my garage floor so when the rear wheels touch I know that I have 18" before hitting the boxes, so I was comfortable in reversing whilst keeping an eye on the display, which keep telling me to "stop" Whilst it would have not damaged my bumper a third of the car was outside the garage and would not have been able to shut the doors. I then drove the car out of the garage towards metal gates, it showed 32" and when measured I was just touching the gate. I then drove to the front of my property the car did not notice the front RHS drive pillar, driving towards the property it did give measurements that were reasonably accurate within 4-5 inches to the property wall. The side wiggly lines did not display a measurement but I did find them useful.
It maybe that it does not like gates or boxes or maybe it need lots of data to be more accurate and I will try out different synecious before making a balanced decision if its useful or just a cheap gimmick that does not work.

Thanks for sharing. How far was your car from the wood baton? Given it can detect kerbs was it picking that up? Just a thought. I May be way off though.

All I can say is, you must be a terrible driver if you need this capability so much. You should perhaps sell the car. :cool:

It’s definitely tuned on the “safe side” of caution. Just took the dog to the vets and it told me to stop a solid distance from bollards.
Not to dissimilar to my old M3SR+ with USS but not exactly close proximity.
Feels like it’s set up for large American car parks….
682CD5B8-0AFB-4DAF-BABF-541941F7BC84.jpeg
53F344D2-A8BE-4D35-9612-D2A8917D28AF.jpeg

It’s certainly not better than USS, but it’s better than nothing at all 👍

It’s definitely tuned on the “safe side” of caution. Just took the dog to the vets and it told me to stop a solid distance from bollards.
View attachment 922186View attachment 922187
Isn't it seeing the curb/edge of the road, not the bollard.

Thanks for sharing. How far was your car from the wood baton? Given it can detect kerbs was it picking that up? Just a thought. I May be way off though.
Chimpy McChimp, very good point did not think of that, its only 2x2 but could be the issue, I will try it tomorrow with the baton removed and a ply sheet at the end covering all the boxes and things.. What was worrying was the front gates, tried it number of times same results. It maybe that like the initial camera set up it has to adjust itself and take in data, what was also of concern did not recognise my (neibours opposite) 9"x 9" pillars driving towards them to reverse back into my drive., but again needs to bed in and I will try different drives, garages and objects. Keep you posted

Reactions: Chimpy McChimp

Lord Farquad, interesting you could have a point, if that's the case they will be useless in auto park, I would be concerned parking over an electricity network box than the post, there has been a few that have gone bang, and cause a fair amount of damage.

Full of all that sugar I’ve been bringing home in my shiny Model Y that I didn’t clutch my pearls over and refuse delivery because of a total and utter non-issue.

The same Model Y which I reverse park daily and haven’t smacked it against anything because I have eyes, three rear facing cameras and a shiny new Tesla Vision based software update that brings back park assist as of about an hour ago.

😘
Boombap, Early days! Rear end not such a problem but front is a different issue, even your super eyes cant see what's in front of your bumper.

• Funny