Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have moved to a property where the previous owner left with his chargepoint (!), but left everything in the Consumer Unit, as there is a 40A RCCB + breaker labeled 'Car' inside.

I am right in thinking as, most of the install is already preexisting, there is now just a matter of suppling and rewiring a wall charger and therefore, I should get a lighter quote from an EVHS installer for a 7kW? What can I expect in terms of £? Sub-500 including the wallpoint?
If you know which wallpoint they had previously, it can be a straightforward install provided the same model is available and it has same wiring needs. I think all of these wallpoints need CT clamping which are connected to main electricity connection via a seperate data cable or these days data cable is built into the main wire itself so its worth checking. And some devices need seperate earthing and some don't for PEN fault detection. Its worth understanding these first and go from there. And if you are thinking about solar, worth going for a wallpoint that can integrate better with other devices and get everything done in one go.

Yes, I've never understood the need for 'smart' wall chargers, while I understand that the Tesla can actually do this and start/stop the charge et the convenient times / and with some energy providers, detect itself the off-peak times (cf Octopus). So yes, the cheapest/dumbest 7kw on the market the better. I've looked at EO, do you recommend any other ones?
Thanks!
Teslas could (should!)manage the start/stop times but currently they don't.

On its own, the car can start a charge at a given time but oddly doesn't have 'the technology' to stop the charge at a given time. You can set the car to charge to a given % (so long as that is equal to or more than 50%), or you can select a pre-determined 'departure time'.

Yes, I've never understood the need for 'smart' wall chargers,
Smart Charging Regulation that will come in Jun requires future devices to be "smart" to manage load on grid.

I've looked at EO, do you recommend any other ones?
EO has 2 star reviews on app store and it needs seperate earthing and a charging cable if you chose to get non tethered version. You may be better off getting Tesla's charger for similar price and the convenience of automatically opening car's charging flap is priceless.

Smart Charging Regulation that will come in Jun requires future devices to be "smart" to manage load on grid.

EO has 2 star reviews on app store and it needs seperate earthing and a charging cable if you chose to get non tethered version. You may be better off getting Tesla's charger for similar price and the convenience of automatically opening car's charging flap is priceless.
So basically in the end we'll have a smart wall charger and a smart car fighting each other for the right to start/stop a charge... looks promising :D But if it's govt reg I guess we can't escape it....

Re: Tesla charger, it is indeed aesthetically pleasant and would match the car but I thought there was something about it that made it non-compliant / not up to BS standards? (Or at least never made it eligible for the grant until it went away last month). Has it changed since Gen3?

So basically in the end we'll have a smart wall charger and a smart car fighting each other for the right to start/stop a charge... looks promising :D But if it's govt reg I guess we can't escape it....

Re: Tesla charger, it is indeed aesthetically pleasant and would match the car but I thought there was something about it that made it non-compliant / not up to BS standards? (Or at least never made it eligible for the grant until it went away last month). Has it changed since Gen3?
As far as I know, Tesla charger is dumb as the car manages charging. May be that’s the reason why OZEV grant didn’t apply. May be an existing Gen 3 owner here can comment what the current situation is.

If you know which wallpoint they had previously, it can be a straightforward install provided the same model is available and it has same wiring needs. I think all of these wallpoints need CT clamping which are connected to main electricity connection via a seperate data cable or these days data cable is built into the main wire itself so its worth checking. And some devices need seperate earthing and some don't for PEN fault detection. Its worth understanding these first and go from there. And if you are thinking about solar, worth going for a wallpoint that can integrate better with other devices and get everything done in one go.

When people were getting the grant they were obliged to install a smart charger (perhaps with CT clamps) but I don't think this is the case if you are having your own dumb charge point. Grants are no longer available except for people in flats who don't have anywhere to install one :rolleyes:

May be an existing Gen 3 owner here can comment what the current situation is.
The gen 3 wall connector did not qualify for the grant because it isn't 'smart'. As above, the car manages the schedule and makes this available to smarter devices, e.g. Intelligent Octopus. I specifically chose the Tesla wall connector because it wasn't 'smart' and didn't come with (yet) another app or whatever to take control. And of course the button to open the charging flap is priceless.

It's unlikely that you would be able to retro-fit one in place of another charger, because it requires external PEN fault protection (in addition to the in-built grounding monitor, thermal protection, RDC type A + 6mA DC) from combined protective earth and neutral faults which can occur with protective multiple earthing (TN-C-S) installs, common in the UK.

My install was completed in March, including a Garo GC6EV40PME and has worked perfectly.

The gen 3 wall connector did not qualify for the grant because it isn't 'smart'. As above, the car manages the schedule and makes this available to smarter devices, e.g. Intelligent Octopus. I specifically chose the Tesla wall connector because it wasn't 'smart' and didn't come with (yet) another app or whatever to take control. And of course the button to open the charging flap is priceless.

It's unlikely that you would be able to retro-fit one in place of another charger, because it requires external PEN fault protection (in addition to the in-built grounding monitor, thermal protection, RDC type A + 6mA DC) from combined protective earth and neutral faults which can occur with protective multiple earthing (TN-C-S) installs, common in the UK.

My install was completed in March, including a Garo GC6EV40PME and has worked perfectly.
How much did your install cost (including the PEN device) if you don't mind me asking?

Anyone have any recommendations for installs in the Purley area (Croydon)?

Not sure if I should just got with the latest Tesla charger or another brand - any advice on why or what to go with? Looking for something cheap, but functional for my Model Y

Thanks

Any recommendations for an installer in Central London that won’t charge an arm and a leg, especially as my consumer unit is already equipped so just need to check the existing and wire a new wallpoint less than 2m away from the wall?

Will depend on what the installer says as it’s to replace a charger that existed previously to get a minimum install fuss, but others on the last pages of this thread have made a strong case for the added convenience of the Tesla Wall Charger. As I understand it there is only 1 1/2 month left to get it done before it is made illegal by regs change and we have to install more expensive ‘smart’ chargers after 30th of June

Will depend on what the installer says as it’s to replace a charger that existed previously to get a minimum install fuss, but others on the last pages of this thread have made a strong case for the added convenience of the Tesla Wall Charger. As I understand it there is only 1 1/2 month left to get it done before it is made illegal by regs change and we have to install more expensive ‘smart’ chargers after 30th of June
Isn't the Tesla technically a smart charger, but the features are yet to be added via OTA updates? I think I read somewhere that they said they'll enable the smart charging via an update but we're yet to see it released.

I've been looking at installing either Tesla's own, EASEE ONE or the Wallbox Pulsar Plus. Part of me is thinking to go with the Tesla as it looks better and will eventually get the smart updates over the air. I like the look of the EASEE ONE as it's un-tethered and will be nice with no charging cable wrapped around, but then I have to make sure I keep the cable in the car at all times (actually, does the Tesla even come with one?!). I quite like the small size of the Wallbox but the huge downside is the lack of cable management - looks really messy compared to other tethered charges, especially the Tesla.

Another downside of the Tesla charger is the additional PEN thing you need to get installed which increases install costs.

I've been looking at installing either Tesla's own, EASEE ONE or the Wallbox Pulsar Plus. Part of me is thinking to go with the Tesla as it looks better and will eventually get the smart updates over the air. I like the look of the EASEE ONE as it's un-tethered and will be nice with no charging cable wrapped around, but then I have to make sure I keep the cable in the car at all times (actually, does the Tesla even come with one?!). I quite like the small size of the Wallbox but the huge downside is the lack of cable management - looks really messy compared to other tethered charges, especially the Tesla.

Think carefully about the tethered/untethered aspect. Swiftly plugging in with a cable that's at the ready is a job taking seconds. Leaving in a hurry in the morning is a quick unplug and off you go. With an untethered charge point you have to open the boot, root out the cable, plug in at both ends ... but the killer is the cold wet morning ... unplug both ends and wrestle with metres of unweildly wet cable that's picked up dirt from the ground ... your hands are wet, your clothes are likely to be wet, your boot is wet, the car starts to mist up ... and next time you come to use the cable it's likely still wet and dirty. Not for me!

Reactions: scriptedpixels