Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] Holiday update - 2020.48.26/.30/.35.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somewhere in the bowels of my loft, is my 1970’s set of Maserati air horns.
They did a fair job of warning pedestrians of my approach. :p
I wonder if they still work...
The downside was that the compressor drew more power than main beam!

There’s no chance I’ll be getting a PWS fitted, even if it’s free. Plenty of ICE cars are as loud (which is to say practically inaudible) at low speeds. I don’t need my EV to sound louder than theirs do.

Elon has said it's not an easy retrofit. https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1181738919076851712?s=21

That means if they do it it won't be cheap..an of course rigging something yourself won't work because the software has to be told it exists as well.

Well it'd certainly say this update isn't even one "fire"
Refreshed UI is really nice IMO. Nice having the wipers and rear camera buttons permanently available. The wheels and windows moving in the car visualisations are slick, if not functional.

Being able to time a charge to start/stop during off peak times is useful as well, and removes the need for a separate service to ensure you charge when cheapest.

I think it's a nice part one.

Last edited:
I thought all the refresh models came from the US factory so surely they wouldn’t spend time not installing it if the cars were going to Europe?
Waste time not installing it? Wut? Anyway it's easy to check, just open up the two tabs at the front of the drivers side front wheel, you'll see the grill in the floor, and a loose cable not connected. At least, that's what my August 2019 M3 LR has, I was surprised to see the wiring was there as the speaker wasn't fitted to the US spec until September 2019, but it is.

It's all academic anyway, as I shared above the UK has regulations against any novelty horns, which is probably a good thing really. The one thing I'm not clear of is there is a suggestion that there might be an option for the noise to be inside the car, leaving the regular horn outside, that might be permissible. The regulations for the AVAS leave a few more options, but I'll bet that coconuts won't pass. It would clearly confuse blind pedestrians.

Personally if a retrofit was available in the UK I would take it, even if it's just a perceived safety benefit for pedestrians I would try. Mrs hs a Leaf that voluntarily makes a noise, it's barely audible inside.

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

upload_2020-12-26_9-30-52.png

upload_2020-12-26_10-4-25.png

Last edited:
Is the external speaker also missing from Teslas in other European countries? The Boombox seems to be the main feature in this update (Elon admits it's only half a 'fire' in a car without a pedestrian speaker), so perhaps the rollout is initially targeting cars/regions with the speaker.

half-fire.jpg

Last edited:
Is the external speaker also missing from Teslas in other European countries? The Boombox seems to be the main feature in this update (Elon admits it's only half a 'fire' in a car without a pedestrian speaker), so perhaps the rollout is initially targeting cars/regions with the speaker.

View attachment 621182

“We couldn’t get everything done in time”. That sums Tesla up perfectly :p