Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 order page open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Working from first principles, and knowing the output requirements of Tesla (or max profit per car/time period) I think it's pretty obvious that you start with the highest profit cars, make a bunch and deliver them in reservation order. Then onto next most profitable batch, delivered in reservation order. Etc etc.

So, someone ordering a red p+ with white interior and maxed out software will always be ahead of a white white combo, even if the white/white person had a reservation since day 1, ordered on day one and the red order was a fresh customer on 15th may.

So specification led delivery, with reservation and order date as a tiebreaker if needed. It's not what we want, but it make sense from the pov of a company trying to max short term profit.

Reactions: Roy W.
Working from first principles, and knowing the output requirements of Tesla (or max profit per car/time period) I think it's pretty obvious that you start with the highest profit cars, make a bunch and deliver them in reservation order. Then onto next most profitable batch, delivered in reservation order. Etc etc.

So, someone ordering a red p+ with white interior and maxed out software will always be ahead of a white white combo, even if the white/white person had a reservation since day 1, ordered on day one and the red order was a fresh customer on 15th may.

So specification led delivery, with reservation and order date as a tiebreaker if needed. It's not what we want, but it make sense from the pov of a company trying to max short term profit.
Fair or not to early reservation holders, your hypothesis makes sense. I can't help but wonder additionally if having a part-ex in the mix causes a delay. I appreciate it does make handover more complex and time consuming. I never considered timing of delivery impact when I accepted the part-ex offer for my old banger.

Fair or not to early reservation holders, your hypothesis makes sense. I can't help but wonder additionally if having a part-ex in the mix causes a delay. I appreciate it does make handover more complex and time consuming. I never considered timing of delivery impact when I accepted the part-ex offer for my old banger.

It’s an interesting hypothesis and I agree, probably accurate.

I originally requested a trade in valuation for the convenience of not having to sell my current car. However the value of that convenience is nowhere near the low ball trade in offer from Tesla so I removed trade in from my order and it instantly moved me to “drafting contract” stage. Which I’m sure will last a few months anyway but I’m sure being a simple cash buyer helps in terms of delivery priority as it speeds up the process for Tesla in terms of putting the full value of the sale on their quarterly numbers.

I never considered timing of delivery impact when I accepted the part-ex offer for my old banger.

They are only going to ditch it In The Trade (or Auction), so apart from parking-space I don't think it is a particular factor ... I suppose it depends a bit how high the percentage of Just Cash punters is. Cash Buyers more likely at the launch of a high-end / unusual vehicle rather than mass produced end perhaps?

I think all this endless speculation is just that. I cannot see how a trade-in would slow things down when Tesla are clearly making money on the woeful trade-in values they are doling out. I was told that my decision on trade-in or lack of finance application in place (PCP was still a question at the time) would affect my delivery date.

On finance, they just said if it still wasn't in place within a week after notification of my delivery date, they would simply re-allocate my VIN to another customer. I told them my order page was still showing finance as outstanding but I would revert to cash if I hadn't got it sorted and they said I could make that decision at the time. Despite all the examples of bad experiences with Tesla employees saying this and that, it doesn't mean customers/onlookers know more about the first 2 months of UK RHD deliveries. Truth is, it's all guesswork.

I would hope that my early reservation/order date will count for something but realistically spec choice and last minute spec changes will have a greater impact. I think there are also many more RHD cars on the way to the UK than most of us think/speculate.

I'm frustrated at Tesla for not giving out delivery dates to customers, but at the end of the day all this speculation is also quite a lot of fun!

Talking about last minute spec changes, one of my many dilemmas has been the 18" Aeros vs. the 19" option, not in terms of range, but in terms of road noise and harder/bumpier ride. Endless watching of YouTube hasn't helped and I would welcome any input anyone has. Or is there another thread somewhere where this has been discussed.

Reactions: -DB- and navt
I was so close to cancel the order but decided in the end to wait.
We are having to rent a car until we get the M3 delivered. Ordered on the 12th May - upgraded to the model P-
Now fully committed to wait it out as we arranged a long term hire with Drover. Hoping to get the car by end of August now...

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I was so close to cancel the order but decided in the end to wait.
We are having to rent a car until we get the M3 delivered. Ordered on the 12th May - upgraded to the model P-
Now fully committed to wait it out as we arranged a long term hire with Drover. Hoping to get the car by end of August now...

What are driver like? Am using EVezy for a long term hire.

• Informative
Reactions: RjbT3
I don't know if people are still interested in this thread, but I thought I would keep sharing my experience with the UK Model 3 order process. Without delivery date speculation! Tesla is still refusing to let me have an estimated delivery date beyond the original late June/early July.

My order page is still showing the crappy trade-in value for my current car and still has my finance agreement showing as "Submit Credit Application". However, I have informed the Tesla delivery team that I most likely will not accept the trade-in offer and I called Black Horse and they confirmed the HP was showing as accepted on their system 3 hours after application and that they couldn't understand why "the dealer" had not informed me.

Interestingly (for me anyway) Black Horse also said that my current car finance agreement, which also happens to be financed through them (under the Land Rover Finance brand), would just run concurrently. The only downside for me is I will have double interest/repayments to make. This despite the 'Tesla/Codeweaver' application form for the new agreement saying that one would replace the other. This is great because it takes the pressure off needing the 'elusive' delivery date from Tesla. If I can't sell the car fast enough privately, after getting the M3, I can just chuck it back under the T&C of the PCP with no cost because I'm more than 50% through the agreement. I would lose a small amount of 'perceived' equity in the vehicle though.

Does anyone know someone who wants a 3yo Discovery Sport HSE, FSH great condition, 48k miles? Available whenever this M3 appears! I hope this is within forum rules?

So for now, I just have to sit and wait like many others. Being a more than 3-year reservation holder and having ordered within 1 week of the UK M3 configurator going live, I am still a little miffed at the lack of communication from the UK delivery team. Oh well...

Tesla told me that they don't complete the finance application until the VIN is allocated. So you may have been 'accepted' on paper (presumably basic credit/affordibility checks) there's no finance yet.

Note to VT a PCP it's the same rules as HP - you must have paid 50% of the loan including balloon not merely be 50% of the way through the agreement. On many PCPs with high balloons that point doesn't come until near the end, if it ever happens.

The lack of communication is crap. Of that, there is no doubt. I doubt Elon really cares enough about the UK to do anything about it. By that I mean that he has to prioritise the really important stuff from one day to the next and we are not that important in the grand scheme of things.

If Tesla had put in place a more capable EU/UK customer service team in the first place, it may not have been so bad. But they didn't, so this is what we have to deal with.

I fear there is no easy answer and no amount of complaining will change it for the better, so I'm resigned to just waiting for however long it takes to get my car and not get too upset about it. That's very difficult, but I'm trying my best.

Tesla told me that they don't complete the finance application until the VIN is allocated. So you may have been 'accepted' on paper (presumably basic credit/affordability checks) there's no finance yet.

Note to VT a PCP it's the same rules as HP - you must have paid 50% of the loan including balloon not merely be 50% of the way through the agreement. On many PCPs with high balloons that point doesn't come until near the end, if it ever happens.

Thanks for the info on finance and VIN.

I did not know that the 50% rule for VT of PCP included the balloon. I'm over 50% paid up NOT including the balloon, but I was told I was at a stage where I can walk away. I guess it could be because my settlement figure pretty much equals the value of my car.

Tesla is still refusing to let me have an estimated delivery date

They're not refusing to give you one, they haven't allocated a car to your order yet.

If you have a very early May order date then I don't know why - other than possibly the options combination you have chosen is "rare", or maybe there was an initial delay for the finance to get approved

I am still a little miffed at the lack of communication from the UK delivery team

Tesla just doesn't want to work that way. It costs money. You get a text / email when the delivery date is assigned and Final Invoice etc.

If their website worked "just fine" that would increase confidence. But Tesla wind up having to provide the human-support and not making the intended cost saving ...

If Tesla had put in place a more capable EU/UK customer service team in the first place,

I don't think they want to. Every time a customer feels the need to speak to a human it costs money ... should be entirely possible to provide a slick online service, which then scales up to Infinity with no additional cost, such that human interaction is minimal.

Other customer-hugging brands available ... Tesla is, and wants to be, different.

Rumour has it they changed to a call centre model this week and have hired more staff.. but it remains to be seen how much that helps. Took me 2 hours to get through to them last time.. we'll hear soon enough if people start answering the phones in good time.
This seems to be the case as I rung twice yesterday and got through straight away, the reason for ringing was after emailing twice 3 weeks ago to upgrading to p-lite my account still hadn’t changed, apparently they never got the email! So they changed it while I was on the phone, when I got the email confirmation they had upgraded to p+ and added fsd , I rung back confused as to how? They apologised and said we”ll Sort it, but surprise! still no update