Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 Performance 2021 Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The code is a spec not a manufacturer. Nothing at all has been confirmed on terms of tech we'll be getting. There was a spec sheet someone posted a while back, but that was probably based on assumptions. My guess would be the same battery in every way that matters, but who knows.

If anyone is genuinely concerned you'll be getting a slower car 1% of the time, then focus on the stuff that isn't going to be impacted, ride, handling, styling and track mode. All those things will be on all the time. If and I stress IF we get to winter and at 10% battery the cars are sluggish still, despite the updates and fixed deployed recently, and acceleration is really bothering you, keep the car topped up. All videos show that at least to 30-40% its still going to be faster to 60 than damn near anything else around.

My gut says we'll get the same battery in every way that matters, that Tesla have likely fixed the issue, given the videos all over the internet, this isn't really an issue until VERY low charge and the person that started the performance issue thread seems to have a dodgy unit as they are getting very different results than Bjorn and others who tested.
Well I admire your positive spin.

The issues I reported were from 40% battery, at normal ambient UK temps between 6-15c.

Quite a difference to your 1% of the time. It was half the time I drove mine! Tesla confirmed no fault, it wasn't at VERY low charge, it was at normal ambient temps that UK gets from Oct-May, it's not fixed, it's a noted problem.

I had the latest software update with "cold weather improvements" which made little to no difference at all. Tesla tech actually admitted to me the P isn't suited to northern climates, it's not a quick fix, and they are expecting issues come the colder months. All related to the revised chemistry of the battery, apparently.

I think the only way you will realise this is a problem is when you suffer the same sinking disappointment that I did when my excitement of a P was so ruined by it's blatant under-performance. That's not a nice "gut" feeling at all. But I genuinely hope it miraculously gets fixed, not as if they had the past 8 months to do this, as it's so easy and not an issue....

The code is a spec not a manufacturer. Nothing at all has been confirmed on terms of tech we'll be getting. There was a spec sheet someone posted a while back, but that was probably based on assumptions. My guess would be the same battery in every way that matters, but who knows.

If anyone is genuinely concerned you'll be getting a slower car 1% of the time, then focus on the stuff that isn't going to be impacted, ride, handling, styling and track mode. All those things will be on all the time. If and I stress IF we get to winter and at 10% battery the cars are sluggish still, despite the updates and fixed deployed recently, and acceleration is really bothering you, keep the car topped up. All videos show that at least to 30-40% its still going to be faster to 60 than damn near anything else around.

My gut says we'll get the same battery in every way that matters, that Tesla have likely fixed the issue, given the videos all over the internet, this isn't really an issue until VERY low charge and the person that started the performance issue thread seems to have a dodgy unit as they are getting very different results than Bjorn and others who tested.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the code.

No concerns here regarding performance. I am simply curious about whether Tesla are shipping B42 Panasonic batteries all the way from the US or if they were using 'locally' sourced LG (or other) equivalents.

Reactions: corbett666
My final update to the original performance not performing thread, for those without the blinkers on

Performance not performing
I do understand your perspective (aside from the unnecessary dig that we have blinkers on). But it's not all doom and gloom. There are positives in the stats particularly wrt battery degradation. If you don't plan to run your battery low very often (which is a good idea if you want to keep battery health) then you you might only hit 30% SOC in say 1 in 20 trips (5% of the time) or if only 1 in 100 then yes 1% like @corbett666 . Also the low temps you report in your stats would suggest the 2021 performance batteries might even degrade slower. So yes, I agree with you that if you want a long range car (i.e. frequently going long distances and hitting low SOC) then get the LR. If you want a super fast car for short trips and having fun around the place then get the performance and enjoy it, there's a chance you might even find the battery health is better in the long run. The only other option is the 2020 performance which has its own limitations in cold weather and is all "chromey". At the end of the day, if we the car isn't fit for purpose and fails to meet our expectations then (as proven in your own case) we can apparently reject our M3Ps on the basis of this issue.

Reactions: G00NERJ
I do understand your perspective (aside from the unnecessary dig that we have blinkers on). But it's not all doom and gloom. There are positives in the stats particularly wrt battery degradation. If you don't plan to run your battery low very often (which is a good idea if you want to keep battery health) then you you might only hit 30% SOC in say 1 in 20 trips (5% of the time) or if only 1 in 100 then yes 1% like @corbett666 . Also the low temps you report in your stats would suggest the 2021 performance batteries might even degrade slower. So yes, I agree with you that if you want a long range car (i.e. frequently going long distances and hitting low SOC) then get the LR. If you want a super fast car for short trips and having fun around the place then get the performance and enjoy it, there's a chance you might even find the battery health is better in the long run. The only other option is the 2020 performance which has its own limitations in cold weather and is all "chromey". At the end of the day, if we the car isn't fit for purpose and fails to meet our expectations then (as proven in your own case) we can apparently reject our M3Ps on the basis of this issue.
I think it'd be incredibly difficult to reject the car some weeks or months later, the OP mentioned in his update that Tesla wanted mileage charges on the rejection!

Well I admire your positive spin.

The issues I reported were from 40% battery, at normal ambient UK temps between 6-15c.

Quite a difference to your 1% of the time. It was half the time I drove mine! Tesla confirmed no fault, it wasn't at VERY low charge, it was at normal ambient temps that UK gets from Oct-May, it's not fixed, it's a noted problem.

I had the latest software update with "cold weather improvements" which made little to no difference at all. Tesla tech actually admitted to me the P isn't suited to northern climates, it's not a quick fix, and they are expecting issues come the colder months. All related to the revised chemistry of the battery, apparently.

I think the only way you will realise this is a problem is when you suffer the same sinking disappointment that I did when my excitement of a P was so ruined by it's blatant under-performance. That's not a nice "gut" feeling at all. But I genuinely hope it miraculously gets fixed, not as if they had the past 8 months to do this, as it's so easy and not an issue....
I get how you must feel insanely salty by your experience, but I don't think we're ignoring your issue. There are / were issues with the M3P, but it seems that yours were FAR worse than any other reported that I've seen. Even within your thread, multiple people with the same car didn't have the same issue. Bjorn did his well documented tests in -17 and got better results than you had, only looking really bad past 30%, and Bjorn thinks they might be fixed or at least better now. The car wow test was done at 6 degrees and 40% charge, they got 3.3 seconds to 60. It really sounds like you've been hit with a lemon, and that sucks. I think for me, the only part of the thread that concerns me was the total lack of engagement you got from Tesla, that is a worry that they'd not bother looking into it more. Your car is clearly demonstrably slower than any other person with a 2021 M3P that has posted anything I can find on the internet, and yet they are still saying its within Spec, they are just not looking. I actually reached out to some tesla experts here in the UK, I know they've been testing a 2021 M3P all winter, and asked them if they'd seen any issue on low charge. Their answer I just got was, its a little slower at 20% but you can't really notice, in the UK winter temps they tested in. Coldest day they drove at low charge was -1 and they were getting to 60 in 4.4 seconds still at 20%.

For me, my car will only sometimes do a long trip, so I'll probably rarely see anything below 60% charge, for the long trips, I'm sure it will taper off a bit at the end, but from everything I watched, read and heard, your car is not normal. I might be wrong, it might be yours is normal and the others are just lucky with good ones. But the odds are that the Performance will be epic most of the time. I hope you are happy now with your LR, and I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but I really, genuinely don't think we'll see the same issues you had. If I'm wrong, I'll be very sad and hand my car back and get an etron GT.

Another video of a MIC Performance if anyone is interested. It has the new door cards and in Aus (right hand drive). He has the same spec I went for but seeing the red with white interior is making me wish Tesla didn't charge £2100 for it.....I would of seriously considered getting the red/white spec, it looks gorgeous!

Another video of a MIC Performance if anyone is interested. It has the new door cards and in Aus (right hand drive). He has the same spec I went for but seeing the red with white interior is making me wish Tesla didn't charge £2100 for it.....I would of seriously considered getting the red/white spec, it looks gorgeous!
The user also has another video on the acceleration but drags on a little and doesn't offer any other angles of the car but worth a quick watch

How long before we all try this 🤣
Ive just dumped my BMW 340i which was pretty good (*excellent) at drifting the twice I did it! Be interesting to see the handling characteristics compared to that when I first sit in the Tesla - having never driven one, its going to be interesting :)
if it's not pissing down on the 19th when I collect.... about 20 nanoseconds after I leave the car park or the first traffic light set thst is red. 🤣. Which ever comes first

Last edited:
Reactions: will_wonka
Status
Not open for further replies.