Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my RHD cancellation text from TEsla few weeks ago for my Model S plaid and Model X orders.
Last Saturday, went to test drive the Model S LHD! Was long range version. Anyway, drives like my Model 3 performance, especially as the latter already has the Yoke steering retrofitted. Didn’t find it anything special. It was also annoying to have the Tesla rep having to ride with me.

Decided against it, apart from “LHD”, no discount, and erratic Elon can change his mind at any moment, both offering discounts and deciding to produce RHD, meaning I could be out of pocket by 50%, if that happens.

No thanks!

I think RHD is unlikely. I mean it’s “Tesla unlikely” which means it could be announced in 6 months, but it’s more realistic to believe that as the S/X are halo cars and Tesla is chasing volume at all costs that they just aren’t interested in doing it.

I could easily see a significant discount at some point though, or perhaps just them stopping taking orders for it entirely ala Australia/NZ (where they can’t sell it by law)

I think RHD is unlikely. I mean it’s “Tesla unlikely” which means it could be announced in 6 months, but it’s more realistic to believe that as the S/X are halo cars and Tesla is chasing volume at all costs that they just aren’t interested in doing it.

I could easily see a significant discount at some point though, or perhaps just them stopping taking orders for it entirely ala Australia/NZ (where they can’t sell it by law)
From what I can see of the existing inventory stock is that that the same LHD vehicles are available across all of Europe, including the UK. Therefore whilst it is legal to sell LHD in the UK I suspect they will continue to offer it.

I agree they are unlikely to restart RHD production. Sales of the S and X are on the decline so it just doesn't warrant the investment.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
It looks like those peeps are being a tad inconsiderate if they know that you're behind them, but I'm obliged to make the regular reminder that cyclists are entitled to be anywhere in the lane that they so choose. By the looks of that road, if they didn't know that you were there, then the Highway Code recommends that they be in the middle. If they knew you were there and were just chatting, then that's definitely twazzock-cyclist territory.
Highway code...

Rule 66​

You should
  • be considerate of the needs of other road users when riding in groups. You can ride two abreast and it can be safer to do so, particularly in larger groups or when accompanying children or less experienced riders. Be aware of drivers behind you and allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or stopping) when you feel it is safe to let them do so

Rule 72​

Road positioning. When riding on the roads, there are two basic road positions you should adopt, depending on the situation.

1) Ride in the centre of your lane, to make yourself as clearly visible as possible, in the following situations

• on quiet roads or streets – if a faster vehicle comes up behind you, move to the left to enable them to overtake, if you can do so safely
  • in slower-moving traffic - when the traffic around you starts to flow more freely, move over to the left if you can do so safely so that faster vehicles behind you can overtake
  • at the approach to junctions or road narrowings where it would be unsafe for drivers to overtake you
2) When riding on busy roads, with vehicles moving faster than you, allow them to overtake where it is safe to do so whilst keeping at least 0.5 metres away, and further where it is safer, from the kerb edge. Remember that traffic on most dual carriageways moves quickly. Take extra care crossing slip roads.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeejUK
Well I've just planned our route around Europe next months. Will take in Stelvio for good measure.

Looking at charging costs in Italy, it really will be a sad day when we are forced to part with our X, I'm going to miss free fuel :(.

52953795064_b21ed9c977_c_d.jpg

52954036700_5e047f76e7_c_d.jpg

Highway code...
Also:

On narrow sections of road, on quiet roads or streets, at road junctions and in slower-moving traffic, cyclists may sometimes ride in the centre of the lane, rather than towards the side of the road. It can be safer for groups of cyclists to ride two abreast in these situations. Allow them to do so for their own safety, to ensure they can see and be seen. Cyclists are also advised to ride at least a door’s width or 1 metre from parked cars for their own safety.

On narrow sections of road, horse riders may ride in the centre of the lane. Allow them to do so for their own safety to ensure they can see and be seen.

Motorcyclists, cyclists, horse riders and horse drawn vehicles may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

Well I've just planned our route around Europe next months. Will take in Stelvio for good measure.

Looking at charging costs in Italy, it really will be a sad day when we are forced to part with our X, I'm going to miss free fuel :(.

52953795064_b21ed9c977_c_d.jpg

52954036700_5e047f76e7_c_d.jpg
You should check out Electroverse, expensive ones there are shown at around 55p, nowhere near this 1.114€ nonsense

This nice new review of the MS from a dedicated piston-head publication make me feel better about sticking with my RHD Performance. Though they talk about the Palladium models, I am assuming especially the ride/handling comments apply to the P100D, which is what they seem to have driven per the review of the interior and the photos.

Unfortunately, they remain misinformed about the ability to use cleaner electricity for overnight charging.

‘As a driving experience the Model S pretty much sells itself. Incredibly relaxing yet blessed with tremendous reserves of seductive performance in the meaningful sector of the speedo needle’s arc, it combines the haymaker punch of a supersaloon with an ability to soothe and de-stress that surpasses all but the most luxurious Range Rover or Bentley.’

'Alongside the aforementioned Porsche Taycan, the Tesla's chief competitors come in the form of the Mercedes EQE and BMW's recently announced i5. Neither can match the Tesla's blend of performance and range, though – in AMG EQE 53 guise, the Mercedes generates 616bhp and provides 280 miles of range, with BMW's flagship i5 M60 offering 593bhp and up to 320 miles from a single charge.'

Last edited:
review of the MS Raven

Thanks, Enjoyed reading that, and I particularly liked the way a couple of bits were portrayed e.g.

This staggering acceleration begins to skew your opinion of what sort of car the Model S is. On thrust alone it’s in supercar territory and it causes you to critique the rest of the car by the same unfairly high standards. But it pays to remember it is still a big, heavy saloon.

Good point made well, I enjoy the MS straight-line grunt, I've given up chucking my car around blind bends ... and it aint replacement for a proper track car :)

With the throttle releasing such savagery, the rest of the controls feel somewhat lacking, initially. They aren’t, though. The brakes, for instance, might not be forceful enough to rearrange your internal organs but they are strong and effective, and should also be commended on how well they cope with intense abuse.

However:

Article is dated Jun-2023, but I am sceptical that it is just an old review with a few bits of text added for Plaid

With a maximum real world range between 373 and 394 miles (depending on which spec you choose)

Highly sceptical about that being "real world" and later on it says:

the standard dual-motor variant, which manages to go 394 miles on a single charge according to the WLTP test cycle. The hotter Plaid model has a range of 373 miles (WLTP), but expect that figure to be much lower should you have a heavy right foot

So WLTP then, and not Real World.

I didn't see a photo of the PLAID, but there are photos of P100D (so not even Raven) and vertical screen, and text like:

there is no ignition or any means of turning the Model S on; it’s simply ready as soon as you climb in. From here, all you do is depress the brake, pull down on the Mercedes-sourced, column-mounted gear selector

isn't the new model either. I'm sceptical that they even drove it, but rather just rehashed an existing, pre-Raven, article

make me feel better about stickIng with my RHD Performance.

If my assumptions above are correct then I don't think I can draw the same conclusion (not that that gets me any closer to a decision ...)

PR charade: so there’s definitely a dialogue then. Shame if ABRP became closed to a particular mark. Not impossible to replicate but still. Why couldn’t Google or Microsoft stump up the pony instead.
As soon as MS buys everyone will write that off - also it is not their strength. Google has many navigation/search platforms and absorbing this will improve google but at the poor PR of google swallowing ABRP and then the whole issue about selling data etc., will again make it non viable as a separate stream for google. Also I am not sure what profit ABRP is making at this point in time?

Reactions: NewbieT
This nice new review of the MS from a dedicated piston-head publication make me feel better about sticking with my RHD Performance.

People forget Elon wasted his first million on a McLearn F1 which he crashed whilst uninsured!! For a car it's size, the S never felt 'bad' to drive, the P85 RWD cars were even 'playful' when going WOT around a bend. Unlike Toyota Tesla have always made cars that drive well.

Our X is no 'sports car' but drive better than many hatchback only during harsh breaking/sudden direction changes you feel the weight.

I really do hope Tesla brings RHD S/Xs back at somepoint, we all know they like to change their minds. I have little brand loyalty, but I really want to own a S at somepoint, after all it was the car that made me look at EVs in the first place!

To be fair, I'm not a fan of EV's based of an ICE platform. They just aren't as optimised at being an EV. It's not just the transmission tunnel issue, probably have a longer bonnet and less interior space so they have room for an engine upfront, do not tend to have a frunk, etc.

Then you see that even with the old longer bonnets they still managed to package everything so badly that you don't get a frunk! Even worse I've seen at least one that did literally have empty space about the size of a carry-on bag, but just couldn't be bothered to make it useable! Legacy auto aren't doing themselves any favours. Transmission tunnels are inexcusable!

Reactions: Leytonstone
Transmission tunnels are inexcusable!

Some use that space to put more batteries and potentially some may think it’s a concept that everyone is use to so possibly utilise that room to reduce the height of the floor so those in the back don’t have to sit with their knees around their ears. Certainly with Model 3, the floor in the rear being a couple of inches lower would be nice if I travelled in the rear a bit more often. Ironically I sit legs across the car because I can as there is no transmission tunnel.

Reactions: Zilla91
Some use that space to put more batteries and potentially some may think it’s a concept that everyone is use to so possibly utilise that room to reduce the height of the floor so those in the back don’t have to sit with their knees around their ears. Certainly with Model 3, the floor in the rear being a couple of inches lower would be nice if I travelled in the rear a bit more often. Ironically I sit legs across the car because I can as there is no transmission tunnel.
Indeed our in-town runabout Mini Electric has the batteries in a T-shape, like formula E. That’s actually ideal to reduce rotational inertia (like a mid-engine). In the Mini, the battery replaces the transmission and the fuel tank. I expect performance EVs to do the same - especially since they are unlikely to have rear seating. But for family, daily drivers, the skateboard does seem to be the best option - with no transmission tunnel!

Test drive of an LHD MS Plaid tomorrow- I’m hoping to be unimpressed…..

I test drove a Plaid against my better judgment.

I regret doing so!

The car was awesome from power, interior quality (not sure why people bash it so much), comfort/noise but on the noise front I was expecting more road noise suppression, interior space and that massive boot. It also looked awesome, sleek, and I prefer the look over that of a CT Taycan, the other car I am considering.

In terms of handling, I had little chance to throw it around.

It had the yoke and found it easy but I’d prefer a wheel as you don’t get the same control/connection with the car.

Driving LHD wasn’t a problem on the Tesla chosen route and it felt natural to me but there were no stress conditions (overtaking, winding B-roads, etc), but looking across the passenger to navigate a roundabout seemed “wrong”.

Can I live with it, I’d say “yes”.

Do I want to live with it? On the fence. They are definitely selling and every time I see one in stock I hover over the “buy” button, so I am genuinely torn as I said “no f-ing way” when they first announced the RHD cancellation.