Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk specific] Software 2023.32

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no.
you go M42/A42 dual carriage at 70 mph. it merges into M1 which is also 70 mph. this stretch Google Maps (both directions by the way)

at this point, where red line - TACC/AP suddenly drops to 60 mph

View attachment 979530

It always been this way
looks like car/map thinks forwhatever reason, this stretch of road suddenly becomes 60 mph rather 70

Thats probably 'fleet speed' that TACC uses that to determine an appropriate speed for an interchange based upon speeds reported by other vehicles. Its not necessarily the true road speed. I suspect it was an early attempt for Tesla to control car speeds through an interchange based upon empirical data.

Its also the same with EAP/FSD when pulling up to a junction at an offramp. The car will slow in increments as it pulls up to the stop line.

so... all other cars there do 70, mine drops to 60 every time for past two years?! and same for another direction?

this is not junction with stop at the end. it is MERGE of two 70 mph roads

you, yourself, believe in this?!

no.
you go M42/A42 dual carriage at 70 mph. it merges into M1 which is also 70 mph. this stretch Google Maps (both directions by the way)

at this point, where red line - TACC/AP suddenly drops to 60 mph

It always been this way
looks like car/map thinks forwhatever reason, this stretch of road suddenly becomes 60 mph rather 70
That's a feature. It can slow based on data reported by other Teslas at the same location. It does it for me on the M3 approach to the M27 every time and also with my friends Model 3 for the past 2 years.

It's in the manual under "Cruising Near or On Exits" on this page - https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...tml#GUID-842DBF70-E101-4250-8CA5-DCE6135D7149

"When enabled while on a highway interchange or off-ramp in some regions, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may reduce your set speed in 5 mph (5 km/h) increments – to as slow as 25 mph (40 km/h) – to better match the reported speeds of other Tesla vehicles that have driven at that specific location."

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBadger
That's a feature. It can slow based on data reported by other Teslas at the same location. It does it for me on the M3 approach to the M27 every time and also with my friends Model 3 for the past 2 years.

It's in the manual under "Cruising Near or On Exits" on this page - https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...tml#GUID-842DBF70-E101-4250-8CA5-DCE6135D7149

"When enabled while on a highway interchange or off-ramp in some regions, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may reduce your set speed in 5 mph (5 km/h) increments – to as slow as 25 mph (40 km/h) – to better match the reported speeds of other Tesla vehicles that have driven at that specific location."
you clearly cannot ready what I write.

a) it is not EXIT - it is merge/split of 2 motorways / 70 mph roads. Not on all of such merges/splits, but on this particular one - 100% of the time.
b) it cannot be "matched with other teslas" because this is 70 mph. if you go without tacc - you just go 70 with all other traffic.
c) speed limit indicator changes instantly from 70 to 60. Unless you want to convince me that in this particular stretch for whatevere reason all tesla drivers decide to go 60 instead of the speed limit 70 they were doing moment ago.

please. it is just stupid (and dangerous) iplementation of autopilot as it breakes unecesarily in often heavy traffic situations. it is same stupid decision by tesla llike the bings and bongs on enabledisable AP and idiotic "we disable your AP until next drive as a Penalty". WTF

it just thinks that this particular stretch of the road is 60 mph.

Last edited:
you clearly cannot ready what I write.

a) it is not EXIT - it is merge/split of 2 motorways / 70 mph roads. Not on all of such merges/splits, but on this particular one - 100% of the time.
b) it cannot be "matched with other teslas" because this is 70 mph. if you go without tacc - you just go 70 with all other traffic.
c) speed limit indicator changes instantly from 70 to 60. Unless you want to convince me that in this particular stretch for whatevere reason all tesla drivers decide to go 60 instead of the speed limit 70 they were doing moment ago.

please.

it just thinks that this particular stretch of the road is 60 mph.
The M27 merge to the M3 is exactly the same scenario as your M42/M1 merge. It is a merge of 2 x 70mph motorways. You basically stay on the same bit of road all the way round the sweeping curve. There are NO 60 mph signs. You can take the whole stretch legally at 70mph but because of the sweeping bend I can see some drivers slowing down a bit so it's not a stretch of imagination to believe Tesla has recorded that behaviour at that spot multiple times.

I have been in 2 different Teslas (one MY and one M3) with TACC on and over the last 2 years, they have automatically slowed to 60mph on that exact stretch every time. I'm talking maybe 25 times. Most recently about a month a go.

To me this fits exactly with what is described in the manual. Or are you saying that Tesla thinks that stretch of road is a 60mph limit even though it has never been as far as I know?

Last edited:
The M27 merge to the M3 is exactly the same scenario as your M42/M1 merge. It is a merge of 2 x 70mph motorways. You basically stay on the same bit of road all the way round the sweeping curve. There are NO 60 mph signs. You can take the whole stretch legally and easily at 70mph but because of the sweeping bend I can see some drivers slowing down a bit so it's not a stretch of imagination to believe Tesla has recorded that behaviour at that spot multiple times.

I have been in 2 different Teslas (one MY and one M3) with TACC on and over the last 2 years, they have automatically slowed to 60mph on that exact stretch every time. I'm talking maybe 25 times. Most recently about a month a go.

To me this fits exactly with what is described in the manual. Or are you saying that Tesla thinks that stretch of road is a 60mph limit even though it has never been as far as I know?
in your case- bend. in my case - straight road mate.
i can guarantee - not a single car, tesla or not tesla is not dropping speed there from 70 to 60. so the theory of the "fleet data" falls apart in this case.

yes, I am sure, because the speed limit indication changes from 70 to 60. It never was 60 since the build of it in 1989. it is junction 23A of M1

in your case- bend. in my case - straight road mate.
i can guarantee - not a single car, tesla or not tesla is not dropping speed there from 70 to 60. so the theory of the "fleet data" falls apart in this case.

yes, I am sure, because the speed limit indication changes from 70 to 60. It never was 60 since the build of it in 1989. it is junction 23A of M1
Who knows. Perhaps because it's a merge of 2 motorways, there has been historical queues there bringing the average speed down for that location and Tesla has recorded that data. I've not travelled around the country enough on TACC to see if it's common in other similar locations. I do think so called "fleet data" does exist though as nothing else really explains why the cars slow on the M3/M27 merge.

Definitely sounds like fleet speed as described by @notmegov . Nothing to do with curves etc just the way the car adjusts its speed in sections of road based upon historical Tesla fleet data. Normally interchanges and off ramps.

Historical info here including a description by Tesla.

Also worth remembering that interchanges are only handled (and recently partially restricted) by NoA in EAP and FSD. Autosteer is only lane keep assist. Merges and divergences of that lane, then all bets are off - well even more so than with EAP/FSD which was originally designed to handle these scenarios.

you guys talk nonsense here. this is pass through road and speed there never ever dropps unless you are in tacc /AP tesla. it is full 70 MPH.

There is no "historical fleet data" for that part of road. there is BAD road data. because as mentioned, if that causes "historical fleet data" then half of M25 would be at 20 mph by default.

you do not leave A42 - you actually never leave your lane - A42 just drive into M1. like A1M does into M1 at junction 43. only difference is that this particular stretch (junction 43) is genuinley has historically slower speeds with all vehicles. but car does not drop speed there.

go figure

I had always assumed that the speed the car would go around a corner on Autopilot was determined by the mapped turn radius, would have thought this was a fairly simple thing to do rather than relying on swarm data from other cars using the road with different conditions.

This would also help Tesla adhere to the maximum g-force allowed whole under Autopilot.

FWIW I believe that's what other manufacturers do as they adjust the speed down for corners and junctions.

There is no "historical fleet data" for that part of road. there is BAD road data. because as mentioned, if that causes "historical fleet data" then half of M25 would be at 20 mph by default.
I'm not sure I believe in it anyway.. for exactly that reason. Road conditions change constantly.. there's no way to say what an 'average' speed for a road is, and why would that matter anyway? The speed limit and the prevailing conditions are what matter.

This is the same Tesla that won't slow down for steep corners and has to abort. If 'fleet speed' was a thing it wouldn't have that problem.

I suspect they just classified all junctions as 'off ramp' and slow down on them, even when they're clearly not actually ramps as in this case.

Reactions: yessuz
Appreciate that AP updates are notoriously hard to track but I am pretty convnced I'm seeing the car more reliably slowing to 20mph on entry into roundabouts and when approaching a junction in the satnav.

I was particularly impressed to see it slow down for a turn off the major road into the minor.
Yes noticed the same. Very recent change

I’m in the states but I’ve been experiencing something perhaps similar for a while now, attached to FSDb 11.4.x firmwares. This presents itself while using the legacy features with FSDb turned off. (You guys aren’t missing anything btw).

Does the screen highlight cars in adjacent lanes when you experience this phenomenon? See the attached photo.

I have a pet theory that some of the FSDb code has “infected” regular autopilot. It’s awful.

IMG_5535.jpeg

I’m in the states but I’ve been experiencing something perhaps similar for a while now, attached to FSDb 11.4.x firmwares. This presents itself while using the legacy features with FSDb turned off. (You guys aren’t missing anything btw).

Does the screen highlight cars in adjacent lanes when you experience this phenomenon? See the attached photo.

I have a pet theory that some of the FSDb code has “infected” regular autopilot. It’s awful.

View attachment 979642
Yes, it's almost like the car thinks the adjacent car is going to come into your lane so you down rather aggresively.

View attachment 979642
This was the stated design by musky several years ago - the car will anticipate actions in other lanes, it's obviously just slipped into production