Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk specific] Software 2023.32

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it the split between hands on, EU, and hands off, USA, versions of FSD that's causing the delay?
Its UNECE (not EU) that is delaying things.

Current rules prohibit most of what FSDBeta does, but new rules have been drafted (but not yet ratified) for both level 2 and level 4 autonomy.

It was the case that level 2 (i.e. what we see today in USA) would be approved January 2024, but in last meeting in September they did not vote on the new regulations which is required to approve them. It is possible that there may be a vote on them in January IIRC, which could mean summer implementation, or if not then Jan 2025.

Level 4 full "hands off" rules were meant to then follow Jan 2025 - It could be now that UNECE countries will have level 2 & 4 approvals at the same time / January 2025.

In meantime hopefully we can get some of the new FSDBeta code to improve things which are currently within UNECE regs so we are not stuck with current implementation/limitations for too long.

Its UNECE (not EU) that is delaying things.

Current rules prohibit most of what FSDBeta does, but new rules have been drafted (but not yet ratified) for both level 2 and level 4 autonomy.

It was the case that level 2 (i.e. what we see today in USA) would be approved January 2024, but in last meeting in September they did not vote on the new regulations which is required to approve them. It is possible that there may be a vote on them in January IIRC, which could mean summer implementation, or if not then Jan 2025.

Level 4 full "hands off" rules were meant to then follow Jan 2025 - It could be now that UNECE countries will have level 2 & 4 approvals at the same time / January 2025.

In meantime hopefully we can get some of the new FSDBeta code to improve things which are currently within UNECE regs so we are not stuck with current implementation/limitations for too long.
Yes but UNECE doesn't seem to affect the US, it's the hiccup with the EU from what I can see.

I've re-read the notateslaapp article and it suggests that the split, on their side not Tesla's, is what is slowing the movement of the regs through the UNECE, so hands on ADAS can be dealt with separately from hands off which is obviously a whole different can of worms.

Yes but UNECE doesn't seem to affect the US, it's the hiccup with the EU from what I can see.

I've re-read the notateslaapp article and it suggests that the split, on their side not Tesla's, is what is slowing the movement of the regs through the UNECE, so hands on ADAS can be dealt with separately from hands off which is obviously a whole different can of worms.
USA and Canada are not party to UNECE for autonomy regulations. Other countries, which are not EU, such as Australia and New Zealand are.

EU is nothing to do with this.

Germany has L2 automation approved. It's not, once more with feeling, the EU.
every country can have its own rules in addition to UNECE rules.

as with Germany, there is nothing stopping individual countries putting in place national laws on how this could work, separate to what UNECE is doing.

There has been work with this through the Law Commission in the UK to review how dual legislation (i.e. UK + UNECE) could be implemented here, its just that our elected representatives have not put this into law.

every country can have its own rules in addition to UNECE rules.

as with Germany, there is nothing stopping individual countries putting in place national laws on how this could work, separate to what UNECE is doing.

There has been work with this through the Law Commission in the UK to review how dual legislation (i.e. UK + UNECE) could be implemented here, its just that our elected representatives have not put this into law.
Thanks for the clarification.

So we're waiting for either new rules here or UNECE to change.

Reactions: JupiterMan
I don't know if it is a bug or change in the latest update, (2023.32.7) but I noticed that the proximity alerts are no longer shown while driving, i.e. the red and yellow semi-circles that appear next to the car when you are driving close to a hedge or wall on your nearside. Anyone else no longer seeing this?
Now you come to mention it… you’re right!

I don't know if it is a bug or change in the latest update, (2023.32.7) but I noticed that the proximity alerts are no longer shown while driving, i.e. the red and yellow semi-circles that appear next to the car when you are driving close to a hedge or wall on your nearside. Anyone else no longer seeing this?
Those semi-circles were never present on non-USS cars. Since the first wave of Tesla vision, we have orange and red lines that will appear if the car thinks we are too close to something, but they generally only appear at low speeds.

A couple of slightly delayed impressions from 32.7 on a non-USS EAP Model 3 - I was working from home when I got the update and so didn't do much driving that week.

The display now seems to show more vehicles. Specifically when I am stopped at lights, it will show the car behind me (if there is one) but before this rarely if ever happened and if it did show such a car it would appear and disappear and jump around. It's harder to be sure but when in a long queue again there seem to be more vehicles shown than before.

Much more subjectively, I feel that the car is driving better. Lane changes seem to be significantly faster and smoother. I did get two episodes of phantom braking, which generally hasn't troubled me in the past. The first seemed to be when the car got spooked by a gantry in sun and shadow. The second might have been my fault; by mistake I indicated left when there was a car beside me on the left and the car braked hard. Also, it seems a bit better at choosing left lanes rather than right ones on slip roads where a single lane widens into two.