Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this correct? Do you guys know if Tesla is planning to turn off the use of these sensors in cars already equipped with them?
Yes and possibly. If Tesla can get vision to provide the same performance as USS on existing cars then they will turn it off.

It may be they can only get it working with the new cameras allegedly being fitted to cars without USS, in which case they will be forced to leave USS enabled.

Reactions: rjpjnk
TeslaFi shows me 239 Wh/mile for an 80 miles journey across many different types of roads at 'enthusiastic to get home' speeds.
That's the trouble with this casual kind of discussion. Small changes make big differences.

For me, I know what to expect over my range of driving styles and situations.

This:

IMG_20221027_135617.jpg

would be impossible in any other EVs I've owned / driven, regardless. Nearly 6 miles / kWh (is that around 170whr/mi?) over 126miles, inc 30 min break. Just normal driving and 15 Celsius ambient.

Yes and possibly. If Tesla can get vision to provide the same performance as USS on existing cars then they will turn it off.

It may be they can only get it working with the new cameras allegedly being fitted to cars without USS, in which case they will be forced to leave USS enabled.
I don't see them maintaining two stacks though. One for new cameras-equipped cars, and another for 'legacy' USS...
We'll need to know two things: will a retrofit for newer 5M pixels cameras be available? Will it be prohibitive in terms of costs?

I realize this is a UK/Ireland forum, but I think this removal of ultrasonic sensors applies to the US as well. Is this correct? Do you guys know if Tesla is planning to turn off the use of these sensors in cars already equipped with them? I haven't read this whole thread yet but it sounds like this may be the case. I really like the ultrasonics showing how close I am to obstacles, especially while parking, and will be sad to lose this feature.
I am quite active in the German speaking forums. I have personally been told by two independent agents at the Tesla sales center that they expect USS to be shut off when the TV solution comes. There are many reports from others around Switzerland, Austria and Germany that say the same. We also believe they will not maintain 2 stacks. For the 2023 cars now being delivered without USS, we see still the “old” cameras. There are no deliveries yet with new cameras. We believe that when USS is shut off in favor of the “to be delivered in 2 weeks Elon time” TV solution, those with old cameras will have a “good enough” park assistance function, but probably nowhere near as capable as the cars with new cameras. There is also speculation that LiDAR is quietly being installed on the 2023 builds, but that to me is still wishful thinking.

Of course this is all hear-say. All sounds quite possible, but it completely ignores obligations to FSD cars that presumably have no hope of delivering FSD based on 'obsolete' hardware.

Type testing & approval imo rules out substantial upgrade / rebuild of earlier cars. Tesla will doubtless try and run down the clock so that most cars on finance will have been traded and had FSD removed. The remaining cars will absolutely not justify engineering time to support, even if possible.

That's the trouble with this casual kind of discussion. Small changes make big differences.

For me, I know what to expect over my range of driving styles and situations.

This:

View attachment 868047

would be impossible in any other EVs I've owned / driven, regardless. Nearly 6 miles / kWh (is that around 170whr/mi?) over 126miles, inc 30 min break. Just normal driving and 15 Celsius ambient.
I'm cheating, but here's my trip into Reading this weekend, 166wh/mile

1666888883919.png

The cheat is that it wasn't a round trip, and I live up a hill. The return journey was 251Wh/mile giving a round trip of 208.

The only really viable way to compare it to drive the same routes on the same days.

I am quite active in the German speaking forums. I have personally been told by two independent agents at the Tesla sales center that they expect USS to be shut off when the TV solution comes. There are many reports from others around Switzerland, Austria and Germany that say the same. We also believe they will not maintain 2 stacks. For the 2023 cars now being delivered without USS, we see still the “old” cameras. There are no deliveries yet with new cameras. We believe that when USS is shut off in favor of the “to be delivered in 2 weeks Elon time” TV solution, those with old cameras will have a “good enough” park assistance function, but probably nowhere near as capable as the cars with new cameras. There is also speculation that LiDAR is quietly being installed on the 2023 builds, but that to me is still wishful thinking.

Here is yet another proof point that the TV solution will rely on new cameras. New cameras that currently are not installed on new 2023 cars being delivered at least in Germany without USS. If you have not taken delivery yet but are about to, maybe re-think that. Seems like new cameras are critical for FSD, so may also be critical to reinstate a park assistance function that is at parity to what USS offers.

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday

Here is yet another proof point that the TV solution will rely on new cameras. New cameras that currently are not installed on new 2023 cars being delivered at least in Germany without USS. If you have not taken delivery yet but are about to, maybe re-think that. Seems like new cameras are critical for FSD, so may also be critical to reinstate a park assistance function that is at parity to what USS offers.
Given current discussions, it is ambiguous, but I think the article is still talking about camera upgrades to the very first type. No mention of 5mp. I doubt they will be made available on current cars..... although if needed for FSD I think there is a good case that they should be.

Last edited:
I don't see them maintaining two stacks though. One for new cameras-equipped cars, and another for 'legacy' USS...
We'll need to know two things: will a retrofit for newer 5M pixels cameras be available? Will it be prohibitive in terms of costs?
It is certain that the AI will be trained without the USS going forwards, thus use will be removed there. For the distance visualisation shown on screen, it is quite probable that that will continue to use USS. From a software perspective, the vision solution can just simulate the existing sensor information (i.e. the distance to objects) that will be rendered. Then in the same software release, you just need an optional software flag to have that data provided by the existing USS code or the new vision based calculations - so there will be no need for 2 stacks as such.

Radar was integral to the AI processing methods for decision making, so disabling that made sense as otherwise you would be training 2 models constantly. This is a different case - more akin to the options for the tow bar and games that use a controller options.

Given current discussions, it is ambiguous, but I think the article is still talking about camera upgrades to the very first type. No mention of 5mp. I doubt they will be made available on current cars..... although if needed for FSD I think there is a good case that they should be.

The current AP CPU struggle to process the raw feed from existing cameras already.

A higher resolution input will almost certainly demand a new AP CPU. There has been talk of a new CPU for 18 months now, but I don't think it's made it to production yet.

The current AP CPU struggle to process the raw feed from existing cameras already.

A higher resolution input will almost certainly demand a new AP CPU. There has been talk of a new CPU for 18 months now, but I don't think it's made it to production yet.
The occupancy network algorithms are more efficient than current vision, so there may not be a need for a better CPU.

Strangely I had the opposite experience....I bought my car when there was much talk on the internet about getting rid of the radar...so I asked the sales office if I could get a car with vision only..I was told that all Teslas have radar and always will (it was beginning to dawn on me that Tesla staff don’t actually read anything Tesla on the net)...so I was glad when they did away with the radar because I feared that those cars with it would always be a generation behind

Andrej Karpathy talking about Tesla Vision and the removal of "bloat" sensors. (1:27 -> 1:34)
It is shocking that they still think of Tesla as a startup. That may be the core of the issue.

Andrej Karpathy talking about Tesla Vision and the removal of "bloat" sensors. (1:27 -> 1:34)
Hmm. Too much reference to 'bloat' there and the sensors role in AI. These sensors provide value to the consumer. Unless you provide a suitable alternative to the consumer for an expected feature in a 50k + car then you have failed in your role as an engineer.

What is more important for the new cameras...higher resolution or wider field of vision ?
How far ahead do you look when driving? Your brain is capable of picking up a driving related anomaly and focussing on it in a way that essentially enhances detail. You would need 200mm telephoto or equvelent hi Res to equal that..in stereo. Just think about the judgements you make on country roads when planning to overtake a tractor...assessing distances to curves, rate if acceleration, other road hazards such as blind field gates....

How far ahead do you look when driving? Your brain is capable of picking up a driving related anomaly and focussing on it in a way that essentially enhances detail. You would need 200mm telephoto or equvelent hi Res to equal that..in stereo. Just think about the judgements you make on country roads when planning to overtake a tractor...assessing distances to curves, rate if acceleration, other road hazards such as blind field gates....
By giving the cameras a wider angle the car should be able to see traffic at intersections better