Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
would we not have a justfied claim against Tesla if they remove function. When I bought my car I Paid for the functions it had including USS, if they wish to remove these from current cars then its up the the new customer to decide if they want the car or not but removing exisitng functions that the customer bought and paid for doesnt seem right. Supposing they switched off one the motors, would that be acceptable?

Reactions: CWT3LR and Boza
Tesla could probably worm their way out of any legal challenge with this by saying you paid for parking assist and you're getting it, just without the use of USS.

They've covered themselves with the drivers that currently have neither by smacking the disclaimer in their faces at the point where they're least likely to reject it.

They've covered themselves with the drivers that currently have neither by smacking the disclaimer in their faces at the point where they're least likely to reject it.
Not for everyone they didn't.

No mention of the removal of USS from my ordered in April, delivered a few weeks ago M3 LR.

Certainly no disclaimer / 'your car hasn't got USS, do you still want it?' type notice - I knew other were recieving these and was expecting the same.

Not for everyone they didn't.

No mention of the removal of USS from my ordered in April, delivered a few weeks ago M3 LR.

Certainly no disclaimer / 'your car hasn't got USS, do you still want it?' type notice.
Same here on a July order MYLR delivered 2nd Dec.
Waiting with interest to see how this plays out. No USS is a pain. I’m coping ok with the camera but I’m keen for the fabled software solution.
Never got a disclaimer.

Tesla could probably worm their way out of any legal challenge with this by saying you paid for parking assist and you're getting it, just without the use of USS.

Depends on when they stopped advertising it like this…

1671314255178.jpeg

So update Tesla cancelled our ranger visit on the 12th dec (on the 9th).

Excuse was no loan car for a ranger visit. Twots. I think they were just stalling myself.

We rebooked for the 21st Dec as the wife is also getting increasingly narked about the massive mark / stained seat also from new. We’ve tried to clean and it’s not budging. Tesla want to send someone to try other cleaning products before they consider a replacement. Wish we had got them to attempt I clean on collecting day now to fast track process.

That and lack of parking proximity / beeps anyway! Her old c1 run around has a feature her £66k Tesla doesn’t is really getting her goat given some tight parking.

As well as a few other faults we queried if on the visit they will fix the missing parking aid features. Response was no, needs and update and no eta.

So we have now written to formally reject the car as on basis of misdescribed / advertised features that do not function / fit for purpose. We’ve been advised key is to not get hung up on uss missing itself if lodging a legal claim and focus on missing functionality.

Will keep you posted on response but from here I’ll be digging in and following through. I now really doubt the features will be here in near future (esp as they first said that in oct it seems).

If they mess about and don’t accept the rejection I expect the delta between us selling it and what we sue Tesla for to be under £10k so will be small claim court (money claim online) territory. We've used that process before and it’s quite simple and quick.

My point still stands I think. If they can still prove that you're still getting park assist then I wouldn't bet against them losing a challenge.
They have admitted they have removed some features and that you aren’t getting all parking assist features with statements such as this that I found from October.

Attachments

• EE06FD29-220D-4592-8E24-C4093C6B1FC1.png
    EE06FD29-220D-4592-8E24-C4093C6B1FC1.png
    632.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 860CC426-9BFC-4972-8A49-650CF96847BC.png
    860CC426-9BFC-4972-8A49-650CF96847BC.png
    652.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 1BC4A662-1FCA-4112-B9C6-55EFDC4673AC.png
    1BC4A662-1FCA-4112-B9C6-55EFDC4673AC.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: H43lio
So update Tesla cancelled our ranger visit on the 12th dec (on the 9th).

Excuse was no loan car for a ranger visit. Twots. I think they were just stalling myself.

We rebooked for the 21st Dec as the wife is also getting increasingly narked about the massive mark / stained seat also from new. We’ve tried to clean and it’s not budging. Tesla want to send someone to try other cleaning products before they consider a replacement. Wish we had got them to attempt I clean on collecting day now to fast track process.

That and lack of parking proximity / beeps anyway! Her old c1 run around has a feature her £66k Tesla doesn’t is really getting her goat given some tight parking.

As well as a few other faults we queried if on the visit they will fix the missing parking aid features. Response was no, needs and update and no eta.

So we have now written to formally reject the car as on basis of misdescribed / advertised features that do not function / fit for purpose. We’ve been advised key is to not get hung up on uss missing itself if lodging a legal claim and focus on missing functionality.

Will keep you posted on response but from here I’ll be digging in and following through. I now really doubt the features will be here in near future (esp as they first said that in oct it seems).

If they mess about and don’t accept the rejection I expect the delta between us selling it and what we sue Tesla for to be under £10k so will be small claim court (money claim online) territory. We've used that process before and it’s quite simple and quick.
I will follow you

would we not have a justfied claim against Tesla if they remove function. When I bought my car I Paid for the functions it had including USS, if they wish to remove these from current cars then its up the the new customer to decide if they want the car or not but removing exisitng functions that the customer bought and paid for doesnt seem right. Supposing they switched off one the motors, would that be acceptable?
this is all covered in the order terms you presumably read and agreed to

• Disagree
Reactions: CWT3LR
True but it’s unwise as a consumer to agree to terms they think are unfair and then later challenge them.
I don’t think it makes any difference. T&Cs are often so unnecessarily long and in-depth these days that reading and fully understanding every nuance of them is imho beyond any reasonable expectation especially when something latter occurs that could not be reasonably expected to predict - as they say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I don’t think it makes any difference. T&Cs are often so unnecessarily long and in-depth these days that reading and fully understanding every nuance of them is imho beyond any reasonable expectation especially when something latter occurs that could not be reasonably expected to predict - as they say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Not to beat a dead horse but the order agreement is 4 pages long and takes about 15 minutes to read, it's hardly a EULA.
That being said I agree I think removal of USS warrants a notification and a request to accept which many but not appear to have received, although if you accept a vehicle without USS the challenge should be on how soon the missing functionality is restored and not that the sensors are missing - that should be reasonably obvious to anyone within the right to reject period (30 days?)

For any changes that would materially affect your order, including changes to the range, speed or acceleration of your Vehicle that were shown at the time your order was placed, we will notfiy you about this change prior to delivery of your Vehicle and you may cancel your order within 14 days of such notfication, in which case you will receive a full refund of any Order Fee you paid.

Personally I see 'coming soon' in the context of a vehicle with a 4 year warranty with missing functionality being fewer than 6 months.

Obsolete Hardware and Software Updates. You agree that the Vehicle will regularly receive over-the-air software updates that add new features and enhancements over Wi-Fi, of which some may also impact existing features, for example to improve safety or longevity of the Vehicle. For more detail, we refer you to www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/so2ware-updates. If you don’t install the Vehicle’s software updates after notification that there is an update available, you may void the Tesla New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the Tesla Used Vehicle Limited Warranty, as applicable. After the expiration of your applicable warranty period, software updates may no longer be provided for your Vehicle, or these updates may not include all existing or new features or functionality, due to your Vehicle’s age, configuration, data storage capacity or parts. Except as covered by your applicable warranty, we are not liable for any parts, labor or any other costs needed to update or retrofit the Vehicle so that it may receive these updates, nor are we liable for any Vehicle issues which occur after the installation of any software updates due to obsolete, malfunctioning or damaged hardware.

I'm arguing in favour of the consumer here, not against the consumer. I think it's downright silly to agree to what you consider unfair in the first place (specifically those complaining about the car being updated) but you should always be aware of what they are so you can challenge them if necessary. Given Tesla can withdraw updates to my car after it leaves it's warranty period if I don't have park assist within 6 months (or 5,000 miles - whichever is sooner ;)) I will be looking to start a challenge on that basis.

Last edited:
That's for cars shipped without USS. The point I was countering was referring to disabling USS in cars that currently have it.
They haven’t done that, nor will they until they have a replacement method. It’s not really worth speculating on something that’s not happened and probably won’t. It took over a year before they stopped using radar once TV started being used in the US.

For those that ordered before the removal was announced and didn’t get them and weren’t told, did you lease etc or did you buy? Sometimes you only get delegated access and the lease or finance company is the primary account holder, I wonder if they accepted on your behalf? If so your complaint is with them and not Tesla.