Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did it actually say it has USS? Or did it just describe the Park Assist feature? For example the current Model Y manual:

View attachment 886450

Notice it says "if equipped" next to the sensors? And it says that just about everywhere:
View attachment 886454
View attachment 886451
View attachment 886452

So you probably can't complan about the lack of USS, but you could complain that the Park Assist feature is missing/not working.
Seems unreasonable that one our need to read through the fine print of a vehicle before they buy the car to know that features they are offered will actually work.

It looks like not having USS means that we also don't have the Blind Spot Warning Chime.

It's still mentioned in the Model Y manual, and the notice on USS removal didn't mention that blind spot features would be impacted.

Anyone else without USS missing the option? Or don't see cars highlighted in red in the surroundings view when they're in your blindspot?

For those of you considering swap/delay in order to move from non-USS to USS car. Be mindful that Tesla has the habit of disabling hardware for religious reasons. There is high chance that cars with USS will stop using USS in the next year or so. So, we all may end up in the same boat regardless of the available hardware.
I can be more critical than most, but this is scaremongering. You need to differentiate between disabling features and changing the way they might perform that feature. They are highly unlikely to disable blind spot warning and distance to objects when parking on cars equipped with USS, even if at some point they stop using the sensors to achieve the task.

It would be fairer to say that at some point the performance of those features might change, just like TV meant no following at distance 1 or certain speed constraints when radar was dropped, but in every day use, I’ve found the variability in performance with TV to be no different than between previous changes in release.

The utility of my car diminished significantly after disabling the radar and switching to TV. No change in terms of phantom braking (still happens but in different spots); however, due to the bad auto wipers and auto high beams the AP is pretty much unusable, especially at night (I kind of got used to the sudden dry wipes).

Considering the TV performance with AP, I am not optimistic about TV replacement for USS. They will come up with some ridiculous dependency (e.g. the rear window defogger must be on) and the functionality will not be on par with the USS.

My experience with the OTA in the past 2 years is either ambivalent (don’t care about Sonic the Hedgehog), negative (hardware is disabled; UI is harder to operate) or frustration (how hard it is to fix the wipers, high beams, album art, etc?). Don’t see any indication that will change in the future. They managed to turn OTA from asset to liability.

They will probably release some beta TV functionality for parking that halfway does some of the things USS do, disable the USS for the existing fleet and slowly fix the issues for about a year, until they lose interest and we are left with a subpar functionality but a new fart sound.

Last edited:
They will probably release some beta TV functionality for parking that halfway does some of the things USS do, disable the USS for the existing fleet and slowly fix the issues for about a year, until they lose interest and we are left with a subpar functionality but a new fart sound.
Of course the disclaimer, "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." applies here 🤣

Reactions: Danzr
Of course the disclaimer, "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." applies here 🤣
In their FAQ they state
  • In the near future, once these features achieve performance parity to today’s vehicles, they will be restored via a series of over-the-air software updates.
I'm not sure if I see that statement as a positive or a negative - I'm not sure park assist needs 'performance parity' to start providing value.

The utility of my car diminished significantly after disabling the radar and switching to TV. No change in terms of phantom braking (still happens but in different spots); however, due to the bad auto wipers and auto high beams the AP is pretty much unusable, especially at night (I kind of got used to the sudden dry wipes).

Considering the TV performance with AP, I am not optimistic about TV replacement for USS. They will come up with some ridiculous dependency (e.g. the rear window defogger must be on) and the functionality will not be on par with the USS.

My experience with the OTA in the past 2 years is either ambivalent (don’t care about Sonic the Hedgehog), negative (hardware is disabled; UI is harder to operate) or frustration (how hard it is to fix the wipers, high beams, album art, etc?). Don’t see any indication that will change in the future. They managed to turn OTA from asset to liability.

Thats a very difference experience to mine

Lights have improved, no phantom braking, tracks as accurately as it did before, and is very usable in general on the right sort of roads. The only time I've noticed any arguable deteriation is in very poor weather, but as I didn't trust it before in those conditions, it knowing it's limitations and not allowing it is no loss to me, and I'd argue it's now safer. But as I say, I'm not shy of being critical here and I struggle to see how they'll replace the parking sensors when objects disappear from view of the camera. but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it until it happens, assuming it does. The issue is not for us with parking sensors, it is for those that are taking delivery who don't have them.

Reactions: pow216 and Mike7564

Attachments

• 16714089683834484038041815433401.jpg
    16714089683834484038041815433401.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 16714090214253191960760673452999.jpg
    16714090214253191960760673452999.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 42
For the past 16 days I have driven both the model Y and 3. Our 3 still has USS and the Y does not.

So far I have managed perfectly well with the Y given that that in most instances I had always relied far more on the side mirrors and cameras, even when I have USS. It's certainly annoying (& typical of Tesla) that there is no longer any other assistance when parking in a tight spot and especially so given the filth that the Y seems to suck onto its rear.

I have therefore resorted to putting a small spray bottle filled with water & a pack of 'baby wipes' in the boot side pocket for any instances where that rear camera is unusable.

Tesla need to bring a solidly workable replacement via Tesla Vision as soon as possible so do I believe they will? No, based on previous and current form almost certainly not so we will have to continue being ultra careful and taking additional measures not required by other £60k+ vehicles that I am aware of.

More than any other current flaws that I can think of, this alone has the potential to create a large and unnecessary negative impression among prospective purchasers. Classic Tesla!

I've use regular Autopilot for the last three years on long drives up and down the UK and can say categorically that the phantom braking has improved. It now no longer does it when passing lorries like it used to, it doesn't do it for 'no reason' like it used to, and when it does do it it tends to brake lightly then realise it's fine and carry on.

Yesterday I used Autopilot on a brand new Model Y from Newcastle to Bristol, in appalling weather, and it performed brilliantly. Only one, very slight, phantom brake in the whole 250+ miles.

The only complaint is that the auto wipers are still terrible - all sorts of issues but the main one is that they don't see the rain early enough, and the windscreen is nearly totally opaque before they start moving. Nor do they increase in speed when getting spray from a lorry, so lots of manual inputs are needed. I find auto headlights work well.

I am glad it works for you! Indeed, it does not get scared from semis (lorries) in the right lane on a left turn. It does not get scared of the overpasses anymore. However, I am still trying to find the pattern of sudden slams on the brakes on a highway (once it engaged the ABS). It performs worse when there are unrelated traffic lights, e.g. on the exit ramp, overpass or, especially, blinking yellow lights in the opposite side of the road, especially at night. Also, it seems like it is more sensitive to camera “blindness” - I have seen before it when the sun is low but since the “upgrade” I had cases late at night from the lights of the opposite traffic.

Wipers are as bad as they have ever been - on a perfect sunny day dry wipes for no reason, going crazy in the lightest mist, failing to accelerate when there is a splash from a puddle. Pretty much what you described.

The auto high beams are hilarious. They regularly flash at the full moon and reflective traffic signs. More concerning is that there is no consistency in dealing with oncoming traffic - sometimes I can barely see the oncoming car; in other cases they flash me.

There are many YT videos documenting that behavior; mine is consistent with theirs.

The difference is that I had given up on the auto wipes and auto high beams and kept them disabled; now, I am forced to have them on in order to use the AP.

Reactions: CWT3LR
You know what, I've gone from being over the moon with my car and Tesla / Elon to getting a bit bitter about how Tesla are treating customers and Elon's promises that things will work, I don't believe a word they say. There is a saying - The proof of the pudding is in the eating - so Tesla and Elon can just STFU and start delivering.
I do feel for those customers that ordered a car with parking sensors and at delivery time they were not present - I don't care if the sensors or more to the point - The drivers alert to the close proximity of an object is done by USS, Vision or visitors from Elon's home planet as long as I'm made aware in a timely fashion. My car has USS and I'm happy with them.
All cars no matter how cheap have USS sensors to alert the driver- so to have a car that isn't exactly cheap, that has no parking feature is more than a disappointment.
Tesla have produced this car for about 6 years now, Its been a very profitable car for them, and after absorbing - or more to the point pricing the car to cover all the costs plus a profit, they should have had their new vision system installed and working before considering removal of the USS. When cars changed from Halogen Headlamps to Xenon or LED the vehicle manufacturers didn't supply a vehicle with no headlights whilst the next technology was still under development.

After a 200 mile drive on Saturday night I must admit that my M3 is bluddy awful to drive in dark, damp wintry conditions.. the none matrix enabled lights are hopeless, the wash/wiper functionality is beyond a joke...and let's not get into the autocruise being compromised due to excrement on the cameras.
Please don't get me wrong, in oh so many ways I adore my motor but I'm already looking for my next EV and , at the moment, Tesla have screwed it with me.

All cars no matter how cheap have USS sensors to alert the driver- so to have a car that isn't exactly cheap, that has no parking feature is more than a disappointment.
I have a 72-plate rental Vauxhall Crossland X at the moment - It doesn't have sensors or camera? 🤷‍♂️ So not all new cars have them ... just saying - Although I take the point and that the price point of both these cars are vastly different