Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use front USS because I can't see the bonnet, and want to get close to the house as the charging cable is just about long enough if I'm close.. plus the driveway isn't that long and don't want the car sticking out into the street.
I've got a metal gate that the USS doesn't always see. I put a piece of wood across the driveway. When the tyres hit the wood I know I'm as close as I need to be. I keep meaning to do something more permanent with the mono block, but this has worked flawlessly for 2 years.

You might want to try a handsshow display with a camera. It automatically displays at low speeds. He also nice for playing YouTube. And you’re always see your tire pressures.

It is a pain to install on the older Tesla model threes like my 2018. I had to remove the glove compartment to get to the connector or younger guy without fat fingers. Might have an easier go at it. They have moved the connectors on the newer models to the passenger door frame.
25AAF0CF-6B61-4926-95C4-A7856192EB69.jpeg
F7A07983-7A6A-490F-BDC1-FD533D9F837C.jpeg

I use front USS because I can't see the bonnet, and want to get close to the house as the charging cable is just about long enough if I'm close.. plus the driveway isn't that long and don't want the car sticking out into the street.

I've got a metal gate that the USS doesn't always see. I put a piece of wood across the driveway. When the tyres hit the wood I know I'm as close as I need to be. I keep meaning to do something more permanent with the mono block, but this has worked flawlessly for 2 years.

Yes, I reckon a physical "bump stop" of some description will be way more precise than the USS. Wood, a decorative brick, or even an actual rubber bump stop does the trick. It's a shame having to manage without USS but this particular challenge looks like one that can be readily solved.

Reactions: init6
I have been saying for years, Tesla‘s should supply, Tesla, tape, that we can purchase to put on the edges of our garage door, poles in the garage, and outline a parking place. If they’re gonna try vision, only, I would have no problem, putting the tape down to make it easier, I think they should also put targets at known distances at supercharger stations, to calibrate vision only

Sure. There is always exception. Vatican does not even require driver license.
No 'special equipment' is required in the UK, you don't even need to inform the licensing authority.

Also from what I can see there are no states in the US that require deaf drivers to have any special equipment.

Yes, I reckon a physical "bump stop" of some description will be way more precise than the USS. Wood, a decorative brick, or even an actual rubber bump stop does the trick. It's a shame having to manage without USS but this particular challenge looks like one that can be readily solved.
I will now add a lump of wood and a tape measure to my cars inventory in case I decide to park or stop anywhere where there's anything anywhere in front of my car as long as there's no one nowhere near that I'm blocking while first measuring to lay the block before going back to the seat & moving forward after ;)

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR and Adopado
No 'special equipment' is required in the UK, you don't even need to inform the licensing authority.

Also from what I can see there are no states in the US that require deaf drivers to have any special equipment.
The argument was not about deaf drivers but for covering both ears when driving. That is illegal in California.

I will now add a lump of wood and a tape measure to my cars inventory in case I decide to park or stop anywhere where there's anything anywhere in front of my car as long as there's no one nowhere near that I'm blocking while first measuring to lay the block before going back to the seat & moving forward after ;)
Maybe Tesla will reinvent those lovely rubber bumpers that MGs used in the 1970s ;)
Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 18.33.36.png

There was a period last year when they were being removed and it was speculated it was health and safety related.. I assumed they'd all been done by now, haven't been near one for a bit. Alas this site has removed the ability to narrow searches so it's buried in the mix but there were serveral posts on it.. can only find references to Wyboston Lakes and Ferrybridge.

There was a period last year when they were being removed and it was speculated it was health and safety related.. I assumed they'd all been done by now, haven't been near one for a bit. Alas this site has removed the ability to narrow searches so it's buried in the mix but there were serveral posts on it.. can only find references to Wyboston Lakes and Ferrybridge.
This thread suggests they were removed to allow other cars to use SuCs.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Yeah, just need to remember to take your rubber bump stop or plan, of wood with you when you park in a multi-storey.