Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine having Park Assist that either doesn't work or can't be trusted, depending on the weather, etc?
I have no need to imagine this. It is precisely the case with my car. Although better today than previously, I get about one successful parks out of every three or so attempts from this automated system that has been available for the over four years I’ve owned my car. For the first three, it never, not even once, showed the magic “P” unless I was in traffic stopped for a light. Finally an update helped and I began seeing the letter when actually parking. In every successful case, the parking was so slow, clumsy, and tedious as to be counter-productive. Today it is much better, being quicker and far more accurate. But still nothing like every time in every condition. So yes, untrustworthy at best.

Being pedantic - but "Park Assist" is the ultrasonics, the top down thing you see with distance in inches when you're moving slowly.

Autopark is crap though. It's worked well once for me, brilliantly in fact, but I tried to use it the other day in a Tescos car park, with cars waiting, because P appeared (a rare event) and it made a right pigs ear of it. I looked like a right idiot - moreso than normal - and had to do it myself.

Reactions: SalisburySam
it made a right pigs ear of it. I looked like a right idiot
same here. I tried it at the quieter end of a supermarket car park, but then another car turns up and waits and the trolley man comes along and waits, all the time the Tesla is slowly moving forwards and back in the most unusual way of parking. I rush to take over and it does lots of beeping at me as I try to fix the position its put me in. So embarrassing, not tried it again since.

same here. I tried it at the quieter end of a supermarket car park, but then another car turns up and waits and the trolley man comes along and waits, all the time the Tesla is slowly moving forwards and back in the most unusual way of parking. I rush to take over and it does lots of beeping at me as I try to fix the position its put me in. So embarrassing, not tried it again since.
Shouldn't laugh, but that's exactly what happened to me. I even looked over at the bloke who was waiting to get past me as my car spazzed out turning the wheels, reversing all cock eyed, etc.

I don't like the fact that it dry steers so much as well. Surely the AI can work out how and when to turn the wheel while the car is moving?

Last edited:
Reverse parallel Auto-park used to work surprisingly well on my 2018 MX. It got into some pretty tight spaces without kerbing and picked up most spaces I drove past. I never really used it for parking in bays though. The few times I tried it was slow and not of much help. But automated parallel parking was very useful in that beast! I only have basic AP on our current MYs

Interesting video.

He spends a lot of the video making the case for the financials, in Tesla's favour, which frankly I do not care about. Tesla already have incredible margins on these cars, compared to the market, so they can swallow the cost of USS for a few months more if they're confident Tesla Vision can reach parity in that time. If they're not.. well, they shouldn't be removing them - simple as.

Interesting to see the distance in front of the car that it would be blind to visualised. Object permanence would take care of some of that, one would hope, but it also assumes that the car will see and record everything that could cause damage if collided with. That is not shown on the visualisation so would I as an owner have confidence that the car knows what is in front but isn't telling me?...... (no)

Reactions: ACarneiro
Removal of the USS wouldn't be so bad if they got the birds eye 360 view working. But that means the additional cost of cameras facing the near and driver side front bumper to eliminate those blind spots. Since money is the primary driver here, I'll mark that feature request down as 'coming soon' in Elon terms.