Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla remove sensors to Boost profit. Polestar pack their new 3 with many many sensors.

Tesla’s cameras must be magic
Just watched the reveal presentation for the Polestar 3. I think it was 18 sensors in total? USS, radar, camera and roof mounted lidar. Clearly, they have no problem with deciding which sensor to prioritise in case of conflict. It was also promoted as being suitable for ADAS level 3 soon, something Tesla have never offered, but for now is best in class for level 2 according to their testing.

I will watch with interset any real world reviews, but seems to me competition is surpassing Tesla hardware capability even if software is not there yet.

At some point yes. It doesn’t make sense, in fact the overhead is huge managing software for those with and without USS.
That depends. They could leave the USS enabled with having it only display on the UI and not have AP/EAP/FSD use USS at all and it wouldn't be a huge overhead to manage. But yeah, AutoPark is likely going to transition to vision only.

Reactions: Undecided_2
Just watched the reveal presentation for the Polestar 3. I think it was 18 sensors in total? USS, radar, camera and roof mounted lidar. Clearly, they have no problem with deciding which sensor to prioritise in case of conflict. It was also promoted as being suitable for ADAS level 3 soon, something Tesla have never offered, but for now is best in class for level 2 according to their testing.

I will watch with interset any real world reviews, but seems to me competition is surpassing Tesla hardware capability even if software is not there yet.
I keep wondering when/how we bundled EV with AI. Given the markets and maturity level, AI may become a barrier for people who want just a really good EV.

Reactions: candida and CWT3LR
Where it will get interesting is during an auto lane change (or turn in the future) when the amber indicator blinds the wing camera on earlier cars like mine.
That’s fully fixed on newer cameras. I paid to have mine replaced as the indicator blew out the camera, as you say, and it annoyed me too much.

Tried unsuccessfully to get it done under warranty (others have succeeded). Was around £200 fitted by a ranger.

So these would be the new Samsung 5M pixels cameras vs rhe existing 1.2M ones…

Might not be such a bad tradeoff after all if the software follows, and hopefully if they’re able to retrofit…
I heard that HW3 was only marginally coping with the video bandwidth it already receives let alone the significantly higher bandwidth it would receive from higher resolution cameras unless they were significantly more compressed which would negate much of the benefit of higher resolution cameras. I suppose at low parking speed they could reduce the update rate which may help.

That bothers me as well.. Processing a higher resolution image needs more oomph, and by all accounts Tesla are already starting to stretch the limits of the current chipset. They could go to a new generation chipset, but that's an expensive upgrade requirement for all existing cars to use it..

Where it will get interesting is during an auto lane change (or turn in the future) when the amber indicator blinds the wing camera on earlier cars like mine.
Interesting point you make, hadn't thought of that. My March 2020 also has that issue, I wouldn't pay to have new cameras but I do feel if my USS are disabled for Vision only and my hardware is therefore unable to do the job at night due to blindness when the indicators are on then i feel i have a good case to fight as they have made my car unfit for purpose and they should swap the cameras as part of the warranty - ie - rectifying a fault.
I just hope we get a choice when the time comes to go vision only or keep USS because of hardware limitations.

Interesting point you make, hadn't thought of that. My March 2020 also has that issue, I wouldn't pay to have new cameras but I do feel if my USS are disabled for Vision only and my hardware is therefore unable to do the job at night due to blindness when the indicators are on then i feel i have a good case to fight as they have made my car unfit for purpose and they should swap the cameras as part of the warranty - ie - rectifying a fault.
I just hope we get a choice when the time comes to go vision only or keep USS because of hardware limitations.
I’m with you on that! Assuming I haven’t died from old age before FSD materialises, I expect to get full functionality of everything promised at the time of purchase.

But is the HW3 computer actually blinded when the indicator lights? I thought someone showed that the raw video that the HW3 computer uses isn't blinded. In some cases it made little difference, in other cases it did wash out a portion of the image some, but it wasn't blinded. (It sees it entirely different than what it displayed on the screen for you to use.)

I’m with you on that! Assuming I haven’t died from old age before FSD materialises, I expect to get full functionality of everything promised at the time of purchase.
What’s the time limit on bringing a claim though, if they don’t? Consumer Credit Act is only 6 years, I think, assuming it would apply. I could easily see it being another 3 years before we get a sniff of FSD beta over here, not least because of the UNECE regs.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but since the announcement, will sensors be removed for future build cars? For example Q4 cars?
Tesla posted an FAQ which you can get to from the link in the first post:

Frequently Asked Questions​

How do I know if my vehicle is equipped with ultrasonic sensors?
Starting in early October 2022, all Model 3 and Model Y built for North America, Europe, Middle East and Taiwan are no longer built with ultrasonic sensors and instead rely solely on Tesla Vision to provide Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, FSD capability and active safety features.

We will continue this rollout with Model 3 and Model Y, globally, over the coming months, followed by Model S and Model X in 2023

Reactions: bainsy