Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard that the USS functionality will be restored "soon", "in the near future" and "pretty soon" and that it will only be missing for "a short period of time".

All of which are of course dimensionless and therefore unhelpful and meaningless.

When talking to a Tesla representative recently, he was very keen to tell me that "...as of the April 2022 onward, there was no signposting on our website that said our newest vehicle configurations would include ultra-sonic sensors, which was visible to you when you placed your order".

Based on this, it seems reasonable to assume that they have been planning/working on a solution for at least 9 months, yet are unable/unwilling to commit to a date when this will be made available.
Except, their plan view of the cars with the graphic of what the sensors "see" still included the USS arcs until November I think it was?

@GlynG ... Flash git 😄. I was in an Austin A40 that was largely patched with glass fibre and resprayed orange with mum's vacuum cleaner...so very trendy with an orange peel roof where the spray bounced...
I did get a minivan with my first job.. crammed myself in with knees up behind the steering wheel and bent neck to peer out.no luxuries like wing mirrors...
I had forgotten about those spray guns that used a hoover to blow the air through - no matter how well you cleaned the vacuum cleaner - removed the dust bag and washed the hose out you always ended up with fluff in the paint - mate did his Lambretta GP with one.

As for fibre glass - My mini had quite a bit of that inside the boot and on the wheel arch to stop water coming in the car near the pedals, I also cut off the front end and put a Clubman front on it - I thought it looked good at the time.

Mini.jpg

I had forgotten about those spray guns that used a hoover to blow the air through - no matter how well you cleaned the vacuum cleaner - removed the dust bag and washed the hose out you always ended up with fluff in the paint - mate did his Lambretta GP with one.

As for fibre glass - My mini had quite a bit of that inside the boot and on the wheel arch to stop water coming in the car near the pedals, I also cut off the front end and put a Clubman front on it - I thought it looked good at the time.

View attachment 896782
Yeah!! Bell bottom pants were in.

Spoke to Tesla customer services today about another issue and whilst on the phone I mentioned the frustration around no USS. Fella on the phone said the software implementation (which I believe is Tesla vision) will be coming pretty soon.

I don’t know if he just said that to fob me off but when do you guys think it will actually happen? I’ve only been a Tesla owner for a few months so I’m unaware on how quick they are at providing new updates/features.

I’m getting tired of my families cheeky remarks for not having sensors lol
There are two dimensions of your question: When will they release TV based something? And When will they achieve parity to the current USS?

If I have to speculate, they will release something in a couple of months. Achieving parity may take years, if ever.

If I have to speculate, they will release something in a couple of months. Achieving parity may take years, if ever.
A USS replacement only requires that TV is able to build a good quality and accurate map of the world around the car, while FSD relies on that map plus the ability to identify and predict moving objects AND the decision making/planning layer that sits on top of it.

You can’t navigate around a world if you can’t see it, but if you can see it then reporting on where objects are relative to you is simple.

So basically I think USS replacement is a very interesting litmus test. If TV can’t do it then I don’t see that it is possible for it to do FSD no matter how much effort goes it to it.

Reactions: SalisburySam
A USS replacement only requires that TV is able to build a good quality and accurate map of the world around the car, while FSD relies on that map plus the ability to identify and predict moving objects AND the decision making/planning layer that sits on top of it.

You can’t navigate around a world if you can’t see it, but if you can see it then reporting on where objects are relative to you is simple.

So basically I think USS replacement is a very interesting litmus test. If TV can’t do it then I don’t see that it is possible for it to do FSD no matter how much effort goes it to it.

in theory FSD should provide this capability - supposedly has persistence (now or soon) which woudl be required for this to work. However potentially a lot of difference between low and high speed vision so lets see.

Also (in theory) you have all steering input and motion data from tyres so if a static object disappears from a camera you should be able to accurately predict where it is. Some objects aren’t static but for eg children you should be relying on USS anyway you should be looking.

It does seem like a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Are USSs expensive? They seem such a commodity these days on even low end cars. And keep them out of the FSD stack if you’re worried about sensor clash and just use in parking mode

Reactions: SalisburySam
This is a decent video to watch which goes over the projected savings, issues, etc:

Short version: it’s anticipated that Tesla save $113 per car, but this includes all of the associated costs (harnesses, etc).

Certainly not enough to justify the loss to customers in my opinion, and I’d assume most people would choose ultrasonics if it were an option for even $150 (as it has been on other cars in the past)

I’m find it hard to believe Tesla did it for cost savings as they have enhanced the car since the start of production - USB sticks, double layered glass, heat pumps, wireless smartphone charging etc..

They could certainly stop supplying a number of those items without it causing this much hate if it was just to save money.

Reactions: Mullermn
I’m find it hard to believe Tesla did it for cost savings as they have enhanced the car since the start of production - USB sticks, double layered glass, heat pumps, wireless smartphone charging etc..

They could certainly stop supplying a number of those items without it causing this much hate if it was just to save money.
Enhanced... sure... added additional almost 20k on the price and removed, as mentioned by zilla: data usb, lumbar support for passenger, radar, uss...