Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah complete crap if it was any other car brand bar Tesla, if you ain't aware of the Elon timeline and everything that goes with it and Tesla you shouldn't be getting involved in the Tesla brand at all. Just like much in life these days, tons of people buying into Tesla because it's 'cool' with no actual clue as to how bad/good the whole set up then hitting forums with questions like 'how do you open the car door' ( maybe not that bad but seen some nearly as stupid). So if you were informed about the feature removal and then still on here bitching and moaning about it, how is that getting anywhere?
Other thread on there about cancelling due to USS removal, you telling me everybody on that never knew about it? I will give you that some were not informed but I bet some of them were, yet still harping on about cancelling after ordering fully aware it wasn't included.
You are absolutely right and I wish I had received your advice 18 months ago. Except 18 months ago the forums were full of people spouting how brilliant the cars and tech were, how they got better with every update, how no-one had tech like Tesla. Now, they were either fools, knaves or I have missed the boat when it comes to the best improvements that Tesla could offer.

But a car that has no cover for its camera, that cant be used if the roads have been salted, and is very much only for the 5 feet immediately behind the reg plate isnt really what I expected from the "world's most high tech car"".

You are absolutely right and I wish I had received your advice 18 months ago. Except 18 months ago the forums were full of people spouting how brilliant the cars and tech were, how they got better with every update, how no-one had tech like Tesla. Now, they were either fools, knaves or I have missed the boat when it comes to the best improvements that Tesla could offer.

But a car that has no cover for its camera, that cant be used if the roads have been salted, and is very much only for the 5 feet immediately behind the reg plate isnt really what I expected from the "world's most high tech car"".
Can't disagree with any of that. I should have really made clear my previous posts were pretty much aimed at the last couple of quarters.

Just a thought: Is there a correlation between lack of satisfaction with Tesla’s approach to USS and radar, and the previous brand the person owned?

I doubt it, but I think there is a super strong correlation with:

• Weather where the owner lives
  • Road widths/ parking space size where the owner lives.

There is a constant sense of bafflement from people in the US why us Brits are so angry about removal of USS. I've been to the US quite a few times, especially california. Please note:
  • It rains like 10x more here, and a lot of people have their cars covered in dirt for MONTHS on end, even if cleaned regularly.
  • Our roads were designed for a small one-horse carriage, not a thirty foot wide monster truck like californian roads.

People with super wide roads and ginat car aprking spaces everywhere, and california sunshine have no idea whatsoever what its like driving a non-USS car in the UK in february. The model Y and 3 are NOT narrow cars. I'd actually have paid a premium for my model Y to be slightly narrower.
Elon needs to spend a whole day trying to park a muddy model Y in underground car parks in the UK. Maybe then he will get the message.

You could also get out your car, and go and have a look at how much space there is to go, get back in and move a bit, then get out and have another look, get back in and move a bit more….

It’s not difficult. It’s stupidly inconvenient, but it’s not difficult..
This isnt the experience of someone who has bought a cutting edge £70k model Y. Thats the experience one would expect if you bought a second hand £5k rustbox.
Tesla want premium prices, with bargain-basement features.
My 2011 Lexus has parking sensors and cost less than half my model Y without them.

Reactions: CWT3LR
The absence of rear cross traffic alerts, sub par blind spot assistance and sub par backup camera features is surprising for a “tech forward“ car brand like Tesla. Our last Honda, Subaru and Hyundai were better at driver assistance - standard equipmeng. Teslas are are odd mix of great and subpar tech…

Depends on "you". No, Im not happy that uss has been removed even though I have it in both my cars. However, going forward this is not top of my list (providing the alternative is good since visibility on our cars is dependent on clean cameras)

There are cars out there with no auto wipers, rear view camera, heated seats etc etc that cost more money and the performance is either not even close or negligible.

Its as mentioned, there are compromises across all brands.

There are places out there that will build you "desirable" electric car of choice with whatever you wish to have at a price but I dont think the warranties can be matched...
Yep agree, but when you pay £3400 for a package and only 20% is delivered its deceitful and fraudulent, lets see what Trading standards have to say.

Depends on "you". No, Im not happy that uss has been removed even though I have it in both my cars. However, going forward this is not top of my list (providing the alternative is good since visibility on our cars is dependent on clean cameras)

There are cars out there with no auto wipers, rear view camera, heated seats etc etc that cost more money and the performance is either not even close or negligible.

Its as mentioned, there are compromises across all brands.

There are places out there that will build you "desirable" electric car of choice with whatever you wish to have at a price but I dont think the warranties can be matched...

I 100% agree with that.
I did buy the Fiat first I really loved the car, then bought my Model 3 and really love it despite it all. But the model Y is such a massive upgrade (price wise as well!) that I’m not compromising (on something so important and convenient) until a replacement is available.

Also, personally, Tesla told me 2 WEEKS before delivery that this will happen, like my car is almost here and they told me now. When they knew about this Chang in NOVEMBER.
The knew about the removal of USS sensors back in September as all vehicles produced in October were without sensors, some old stock arriving in October November and December had USS fitted.

Yep agree, but when you pay £3400 for a package and only 20% is delivered its deceitful and fraudulent, lets see what Trading standards have to say.
EAP I suppose?...if so, absolutely!... Demand your money back and tell them they can have their money when they have the fix. They should of temporarily not allowed this to be purchased since the bulk of it is missing at the moment anyways imho.

I doubt it, but I think there is a super strong correlation with:

• Weather where the owner lives
  • Road widths/ parking space size where the owner lives.

There is a constant sense of bafflement from people in the US why us Brits are so angry about removal of USS. I've been to the US quite a few times, especially california. Please note:
  • It rains like 10x more here, and a lot of people have their cars covered in dirt for MONTHS on end, even if cleaned regularly.
  • Our roads were designed for a small one-horse carriage, not a thirty foot wide monster truck like californian roads.

People with super wide roads and ginat car aprking spaces everywhere, and california sunshine have no idea whatsoever what its like driving a non-USS car in the UK in february. The model Y and 3 are NOT narrow cars. I'd actually have paid a premium for my model Y to be slightly narrower.
Elon needs to spend a whole day trying to park a muddy model Y in underground car parks in the UK. Maybe then he will get the message.
California has all seasons - from the sunny, dry South to Rainy North and snowy Sierra Nevada (there is a pretty serious snow storm going on right now). They could test everything without leaving the state. So, no, it is not California :)
I was thinking that people who were used to more luxury brands may have lower tolerance to such mess ups like USS and the radar.

Reactions: boombap and Adopado
Be honest - open question to everyone - how many times have you had to clean the camera’s?

Me: once. During the snow we had in December.

I’ve done 4000 miles and I reverse into my drive everyday.

I’m not defending anything, just find it ridiculous how many people are moaning about something which really isn’t that bad.
i've done 2k+ miles last year. had to clean basicaly every time there was at least a bit of water/moisture on the road. every. frickin. time. sometimes - few times a day

Yeah complete crap if it was any other car brand bar Tesla, if you ain't aware of the Elon timeline and everything that goes with it and Tesla you shouldn't be getting involved in the Tesla brand at all. Just like much in life these days, tons of people buying into Tesla because it's 'cool' with no actual clue as to how bad/good the whole set up then hitting forums with questions like 'how do you open the car door' ( maybe not that bad but seen some nearly as stupid). So if you were informed about the feature removal and then still on here bitching and moaning about it, how is that getting anywhere?
Other thread on there about cancelling due to USS removal, you telling me everybody on that never knew about it? I will give you that some were not informed but I bet some of them were, yet still harping on about cancelling after ordering fully aware it wasn't included.
Firstly, loads of people (and probably majority for last couple of years) have Teslas as company cars. because it is cheaper on BIK and cheap to run. not because it's cool.

secondly, many people never heard of USS removal. moreover, most of people who received their cars without USS tested demo cars with USS and ordered when USS was still a thing.

You don't need examples as it's all down to trim levels with most car brands, some have the above and some don't dependent on spec. Buy one Ford Focus and it has heated seats and a reversing camera, buy a lower spec and it has neither. Maybe don't cost the same but you get the idea!
can you please show the trim level on let's say bmw 3 series (or any series for that matter) where car would come without parking sensors?!

California has all seasons - from the sunny, dry South to Rainy North and snowy Sierra Nevada (there is a pretty serious snow storm going on right now). They could test everything without leaving the state. So, no, it is not California :)
I was thinking that people who were used to more luxury brands may have lower tolerance to such mess ups like USS and the radar.
jesus, ford is not a luxury brand.
it has all uss, cameras, wipers and auto high beams working as intended, not "almost running"

Reactions: Boza and CWT3LR
Firstly, loads of people (and probably majority for last couple of years) have Teslas as company cars. because it is cheaper on BIK and cheap to run. not because it's cool.

secondly, many people never heard of USS removal. moreover, most of people who received their cars without USS tested demo cars with USS and ordered when USS was still a thing.
All valid, still doesn't take away from my opinion that there a folks buying into the 'fashion / it's cool' with no idea what they are getting into. I have already said it was prob 50/50 on people that were informed and were not. I wasn't informed and also test drove the car with USS but knew full well that I would be getting a car without USS. Diff argument if you ordered way before they announced pulling them, every right to refuse or cancel, my argument is more based around the last couple of quarters with people ordering recently and then getting 'surprised' that USS is missing.