Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TeslaFi's stats say only 15 cars have the update at present. I think that must be wrong unless every single one of them has taken to reddit/twitter etc to talk about it but even if it's a way off it suggests that the deployment is pretty small at present. None of the people I've seen discussing it have been outside the US.
Maybe the people posting are not Teslafi users...

Reactions: Durzel
TeslaFi's stats say only 15 cars have the update at present. I think that must be wrong unless every single one of them has taken to reddit/twitter etc to talk about it but even if it's a way off it suggests that the deployment is pretty small at present. None of the people I've seen discussing it have been outside the US.
Teslafi only reports on cars linked to Teslafi.
I suspect that this is a small proportion of the total.

Reactions: Durzel and Mullermn
I expect that I'm on the next download as I've just received the one that adds Icelandic 6.8).

In the meantime, I did some measuring and found that in my vehicle anyway, where the bottom of the backup image cuts the ground is about one foot from the bumper.

The one thing that isn't great is that in NNJ, they paint many of the parking lines for EV charging green. They are basically invisible at night.

In case we needed more proof that Tesla Vision only is a pipe dream

No doubt USS removal will lead to similar articles in the near future
While we wait for more information about the new USS to surface, a different discussion led me to NCAP's (European safety testing body) safety test results website today and there is information there that suggests that introducing Vision didn't do anything disastrous to Tesla safety.

The 2022 Y (vision only) won top in it's class in the Jan 2023 awards.
1679676188910.png

Looking at the safety assist categories it beat everything else that they tested in 2022. Notable that despite everyone banging on about how great BMW's systems are it's some of their vehicles that are bottom of this list (they do also have some pretty high up).

List hidden because it's lengthy.
1679676847427.png

1679676890245.png

1679676923353.png

1679676952592.png

Sorted by pedestrian protection they're not top of the list, but not far from it.
1679677055049.png

These are all 2022 (vision only, no radar) results. While it's possible that the radar cars were even better that would just put them even further ahead of the competition.

Attachments

• 1679676244607.png
    1679676244607.png
    214 KB · Views: 18
  • 1679676648221.png
    1679676648221.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Informative
Reactions: Exy1 and boombap
While we wait for more information about the new USS to surface, a different discussion led me to NCAP's (European safety testing body) safety test results website today and there is information there that suggests that introducing Vision didn't do anything disastrous to Tesla safety.
Under the test conditions which are I believe in daylight with good visibility.

Also, iirc green found some bits of the code that referred to certain testing organisations. Now I’m not suggesting dieselgate but it does make you think ‘why?’

Teslafi only reports on cars linked to Teslafi.
I suspect that this is a small proportion of the total.
There are theee sites that seem to have stats of their own, the others sites like notateslaapp and softwareupdates etc just repeat one or more of the three

Teslafi say 9 but you don’t really know out of how many so no % so a little meaningless

Teslascope say 7 which is 0% (they go to 1 decimal place so it depends how they round their figure)

Tesla-info say 0.1% of cars are downloading but not how many, again, depends if they round up or down

But I think it’s fair to say between them it’s probably 1 in 1000 cars or less. They also all probably have staff cars on their books which account for the first 5-10 cars they seem to detect so I wouldn’t be surprised if the first few aren’t representative, and only when the % starts going above 0.5% does it look like a wider top out (assuming they track say 10k cars, that’s 50+ cars they’ve seen which is more than just staff cars and YouTubers - but that’s a guess)

Under the test conditions which are I believe in daylight with good visibility.

Also, iirc green found some bits of the code that referred to certain testing organisations. Now I’m not suggesting dieselgate but it does make you think ‘why?’
That’s interesting, I’d not heard that before.

I dug up his tweet it looks like the Y was tested in August and he makes reference to the code ‘just’ being added in September, though that could be reading too much in to the dates.

It looks like initial investigations didn’t find any foul play There's 'no evidence' Tesla cheated crash tests with special code, Euro NCAP says but then this article suggests that the investigation is still ongoing Did Euro NCAP Absolve Tesla in Possible Code Cheat? No, It Washed Its Hands. Very interesting.

Edit: also found this response to Green which does provide a very plausible reason for why there might need to be test track specific code in there.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KennethS
It’s not hard to imagine it working ok in situations like walls or other generally vertical structures, although if the depth is out by 5” when you’re 1’ away that’s not brilliant. It’s going to be the unusual shaped stuff like posts, low walls etc which are the trickier ones, and in fairness to it, I don’t always trust USS in some of those situations. My pet hate is car parks where they have a tree guarded by metal posts in a diamond shaped cut out in the corner of 4 parking spaces. I’m never very confident on the corner.