Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we are seeing exactly why they haven't rolled out autopark and summons yet. The solution is nowhere near ready for that.
You couldn’t run summon off of it at the moment, that’s certain. Which adds weight (and gives hope?) to the idea that this is v1 and it has headroom to improve.

It was probably always necessary to move to TV for park assist if summon was ever going to work. You can’t have cars park or fine manoeuvre themselves without awareness of curbs and what’s down the side of the car and Tesla’s USS were never able to do that in the first place.

Last edited:
Just (late March) took delivery of a MY that I ordered when Tesla had reduced the price and the PCP interest rate. Realised it didn't have USS and that Parking Assist with Teslavision would be added later. A bit disappointed with the initial release which I judge not as good as USS in my old MS but not enough to get hung up about given it can only improve. Have to reverse the car backwards round a narrow s-bend to my charger so still have to rely on mirrors as I did with USS.

Reactions: CDB_
I had my first real disappointing moment with Tesla Vision Park Assist last night - other than that I've been erring towards OK for now, and accurate enough for a first iteration in combination with eyes. But, most of my experiences have come in daylight or at least under reasonable light levels where the cameras can see stuff - even when raining in these conditions I've found it to be OK - however last night was dark and very wet with big raindrops as well as fine mist. It would work fine in streetlit conditions, but as soon as I arrived home to my darker street (and even darker driveway) and positioned the car to reverse onto my drive it was obvious that the rear camera was coated in mist so if I couldn't use that to back up then obviously TV wouldn't be able to either - and sure enough 'Park Assist Unavailable' popped up as soon as I slowed down to where I normally start to reverse. Once I had backed - slowly - onto the drive, avoiding the tree and my wife's car and switched back into D to move forward slightly and straighten up, Park Assist and the guidelines suddenly appeared again - probably because I had backed up closer to some objects and my security light had come on. Clearly this is where the system will find it's limits, I'm sure the cameras can deal with dark conditions by having more sensitive sensors which ramp up the brightness, but if they're blocked then there's no software fix for that.

I had my first real disappointing moment with Tesla Vision Park Assist last night - other than that I've been erring towards OK for now, and accurate enough for a first iteration in combination with eyes. But, most of my experiences have come in daylight or at least under reasonable light levels where the cameras can see stuff - even when raining in these conditions I've found it to be OK - however last night was dark and very wet with big raindrops as well as fine mist. It would work fine in streetlit conditions, but as soon as I arrived home to my darker street (and even darker driveway) and positioned the car to reverse onto my drive it was obvious that the rear camera was coated in mist so if I couldn't use that to back up then obviously TV wouldn't be able to either - and sure enough 'Park Assist Unavailable' popped up as soon as I slowed down to where I normally start to reverse. Once I had backed - slowly - onto the drive, avoiding the tree and my wife's car and switched back into D to move forward slightly and straighten up, Park Assist and the guidelines suddenly appeared again - probably because I had backed up closer to some objects and my security light had come on. Clearly this is where the system will find it's limits, I'm sure the cameras can deal with dark conditions by having more sensitive sensors which ramp up the brightness, but if they're blocked then there's no software fix for that.
well, gees...

all this time we were trying to point it out, that cameras are more or less blind in the dark (especially when wet/dirty), but we were told that we are wrong...

you just may wonder...

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR
well, gees...

all this time we were trying to point it out, that cameras are more or less blind in the dark (especially when wet/dirty), but we were told that we are wrong...

you just may wonder...
Please point me towards where I said that it would either work perfectly, or where I said that I was surprised that it didn’t work last night under those conditions.

not sure @yessuz is implying you said it would work perfectly, just that others have.
Well, it was a direct quote of me and with specific reference to my observations. If it wasn’t implied then it probably shouldn’t have been quoted, or referenced so tightly.

I’m not so naive to think that a system based on cameras can operate correctly in conditions beyond the capability of the hardware. The same applies to those cars which offer 360° views, as nice as they look on a bright dry day in a Tesco car park - but then TV would work just fine in those conditions as well.

Reactions: pow216
Well, it was a direct quote of me and with specific reference to my observations. If it wasn’t implied then it probably shouldn’t have been quoted, or referenced so tightly.

I’m not so naive to think that a system based on cameras can operate correctly in conditions beyond the capability of the hardware. The same applies to those cars which offer 360° views, as nice as they look on a bright dry day in a Tesco car park - but then TV would work just fine in those conditions as well.
I did not imply you. :)

I quoted you as your experience was absolutely exactly same as me and others said it would be, while other said that we are wrong :)))

Reactions: CWT3LR
It’s not too bad, also if you cant park your car without it having to hold your hand I would take some more lessons!
The rear camera was always enough for me.

However it is a rip off to pay for a M3 and not get USS. This is the first car I have ever had to not have them.

It was impossible for me to try and explain to my Mrs why they were not installed.

She quite tightly expected them.
I am not sure if it's a good argument. Why do people buy FSD or Enchanted Autopilot? Because they can't drive? Do they need more lessons?

Having had it for a few days now. I like the kerb detection (although it picks up any line e.g the line between my grass and driveway and beeps like mad when I get close even though it's only going to drive over the grass and not do any damage).but knowing it will warn me about kerbs is a good thing

But have learned to ignore it otherwise.
Had a scenario today when I pulled up at my in laws and their house is brick but there is also a raised flower bed around the front of the house in the same brick as the house (about 3ft high). The park assist didn't see the raised bed and gave the distance to the house

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Zedbox
Having had it for a few days now. I like the kerb detection (although it picks up any line e.g the line between my grass and driveway and beeps like mad when I get close even though it's only going to drive over the grass and not do any damage).but knowing it will warn me about kerbs is a good thing

But have learned to ignore it otherwise.
Had a scenario today when I pulled up at my in laws and their house is brick but there is also a raised flower bed around the front of the house in the same brick as the house (about 3ft high). The park assist didn't see the raised bed and gave the distance to the house
Kerb detection sounds like it’s a plus point, assuming it’s reliable.

The problem with this stuff is if you can’t rely on it then what’s the point? You’re better off not having anything at all - and being more vigilant as a consequence - than something that gives you inaccurate measurements and feedback.

You’d either trust it and crash, or ignore it and it becomes redundant.

Last edited:
Kerb detection sounds like it’s a plus point, assuming it’s reliable.

The problem with this stuff is if you can’t rely on it then what’s the point? You’re better off not having anything at all - and being more vigilant as a consequence - than something that gives you inaccurate measurements and feedback.

You’d either trust it and crash, or ignore it and it becomes redundant.
I have to say I agree. In my old car I could rely on USS. Did it give me measurements in inches? No! But I knew when it started beeping faster how much I could go. It was always consistent. And it could spot that low wall at my in laws house.

So far the kerb detection hasn't been required but I'm trying to be positive about this and think it may be useful. But as a replacement for USS. It's not even close.

Hopefully it will improve. But at the moment it is nowhere near good enough. At the local supermarket a low fence showed as being over the bonnet of the car (literally the line was showing over the bonnet of the car in the visualisation) with many beeps and bongs and messages saying STOP. but still I was 18 inches away from the fence 🙄 even the kerb was a good 6 inches away and below the front bumper so not of concern.

Don't get me wrong. USS wasn't perfect. But In the multiple cars I have had over the years. It was consistent. Park assist isn't.

Reactions: Durzel
Hopefully it will improve. But at the moment it is nowhere near good enough. At the local supermarket a low fence showed as being over the bonnet of the car (literally the line was showing over the bonnet of the car in the visualisation) with many beeps and bongs and messages saying STOP. but still I was 18 inches away from the fence 🙄 even the kerb was a good 6 inches away and below the front bumper so not of concern.

Don't get me wrong. USS wasn't perfect. But In the multiple cars I have had over the years. It was consistent. Park assist isn't.

Sounds like from your comments that you are sitting on the fence ;)

I have to say I agree. In my old car I could rely on USS. Did it give me measurements in inches? No! But I knew when it started beeping faster how much I could go. It was always consistent. And it could spot that low wall at my in laws house.

So far the kerb detection hasn't been required but I'm trying to be positive about this and think it may be useful. But as a replacement for USS. It's not even close.

Absolutely agree - I could live with this version of Park Assist IF it was consistent. At least then you could make mental adjustments for the information being presented.

However it is nothing like consistent - same parking manoeuvre, same location, different times of day and the car gives me very different assesments of obstacles and distances.

It really is less use than an ashtray on a motorbike in its current form.

Much has been made of the inclusion of kerb detection in the latest version of Park Assist and I agree, if reliable, this would be a useful feature.

I was shuffling our cars about earlier today and had my 2022 USS-less M3LR out on the road outside our house where there is a long, straight section of kerb.

Out of interest I drove the car in reverse at a gentle angle towards the kerb. The display picked up the kerb, representing it as a less-than straight line which wiggled about as I drove at maybe 2mph to parallel park in a slightly rubbish fashion. Whilst the line representing the kerb eventually went red, at no point did the car advise me to stop. I did so with the rear wheel less than an inch from the kerb.