Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much has been made of the inclusion of kerb detection in the latest version of Park Assist and I agree, if reliable, this would be a useful feature.

I was shuffling our cars about earlier today and had my 2022 USS-less M3LR out on the road outside our house where there is a long, straight section of kerb.

Out of interest I drove the car in reverse at a gentle angle towards the kerb. The display picked up the kerb, representing it as a less-than straight line which wiggled about as I drove at maybe 2mph to parallel park in a slightly rubbish fashion. Whilst the line representing the kerb eventually went red, at no point did the car advise me to stop. I did so with the rear wheel less than an inch from the kerb.
I've noticed the lines being very wobbly. Why is that?

I've noticed the lines being very wobbly. Why is that?
Probably the same reason the AP visualisations jump around and flip between different types of vehicle.

There’s a trade off between showing you raw info on what the system is detecting and showing you a cleaned up view of what it thinks it might be detecting. The latter can be neater and more stable but it’s riskier because the system is making an extra level of interpretation. Eg, if it assumes that what it now thinks is a semi can’t possibly be one because a minute ago it thought it was a car it opens the door to a misbehaviour if it turns out the first interpretation was the incorrect one.

As for why the detection of a kerb is not perfect yet I’d imagine that picking it out from camera data amongst shadows, debris and imperfections in the curb and then projecting that in to 3D space is more complex than it seems.

Been a while since I last heard anything about this. Have any of the subsequent updates improved this or is it still garbage?
It has improved a bit, things that I’ve noticed that have changed from the first release;

Degraded message / function - before if for whatever reason it didn’t want to load, it just didn’t, I’ve not had a full failed to load since this (and not noticed what was degraded when the message flashes up).

Slightly quicker to load / preloads more often. Possibly subjective though, but does seem quicker.

Accuracy better - BUT - if there is a curb you are reversing or driving towards, it uses that as the point to measure to, great if parking near a curb on the side of the road, less useful when backing into somewhere where you would overhang the curb.

It has improved a bit, things that I’ve noticed that have changed from the first release;

Degraded message / function - before if for whatever reason it didn’t want to load, it just didn’t, I’ve not had a full failed to load since this (and not noticed what was degraded when the message flashes up).

Slightly quicker to load / preloads more often. Possibly subjective though, but does seem quicker.

Accuracy better - BUT - if there is a curb you are reversing or driving towards, it uses that as the point to measure to, great if parking near a curb on the side of the road, less useful when backing into somewhere where you would overhang the curb.
Thanks for the update. I have yet to update to get the vision based parking assistance but will shortly I’d like to think it will improve over time. I hope.

Reactions: DaveW
Been a while since I last heard anything about this. Have any of the subsequent updates improved this or is it still garbage?
In my experience haven't seen much improvement. Ive got to the point where I ignore it as it doesn't help. Just earlier today I was parking very slowly and I noticed the distance measurements were jumping all over the place.

I really hope it improves

It can only get so good with the cameras being where they are.

The front cameras have a 3 foot blind spot ahead that they can't see, so are reliant on the "occupancy network" to remember what it saw as you drive towards an obstacle. Probably works ok with things that are easily discerned, like walls, but less so with things it couldn't properly discern in the first place.

The rear camera (singular) has a limited field of view, so won't be able to pick things up at the extremeties of the car, instead relying on the occupancy network to fill in the blanks. There is also barely any illumination at the back, even with the reversing lights on, so is likely to be compromised by that, as well as by dirt and other crud that you normally get on the back of the car from driving it.

To be fair - the fact there is a system that uses the cameras is an impressive technical feat, but it is in no way comparable to ultrasonics which Just Work™. Tesla customers have to put up with this crap while Tesla themselves reap the benefits of saving ~$110 per car.

I do not have USS so I have nothing to compare to. IMO the Vision technology for park assist performs adequately, I have no problem with it. "Distance accuracy" is off a little but that does not bother me, as long as it yells at me than I pay more attention while parking
adequately?

brick also can adequately performs as an airplane as well - it can fly at some extent if conditions are right

you clearly never drove and parked in UK, did you?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ICE5891
Regular PSA to remind you that USS work ‘adequately’ because you’re accustomed to working around their limitations and no longer perceive them as a such. The vision system has different limitations and the areas where it’s not as good as USS stand out to you.

I think it has improved a bit since first launch. It has still got a way to go before it is overall better than the mature system it replaced. I’m fairly good at parking so the only time I really need the assistance is when things are particularly difficult which generally when the current system is already saying ‘I’m scared, you do it’.

a car with no USS and the visibility of a turd is a hard task in the UK. That's why I'm not selling my Tesla for a new one. If they can't replace it with a system that works adequately, then I'm off to another brand unfortunately.
Parking sensors wouldn’t be a make or break on any brand for me…and at least with Tesla you get a chance that they will get it right one day….mind you, I’m still waiting for a 360’ view

no problem for me in USA, maybe parking spots are not as tight as in UK and Europe?
We are a small island and space is generally tight here. Many of our carparks were built when the average car was about 1.5m wide ( excluding mirrors). a lot of cars are about 30+cm wider than that now so yes our carparks can be very tight in the UK for modern cars and SUV's.
Even in newer carparks more spaces = more money so there is a ££ incentive to keep the spaces small.