Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A general uncorking is highly unlikely I'd say.

I talked to our local SC manager yesterday. He said that it has to do with a specific part (battery connector?) that has previously been sourced from another supplier and is now being manufactured in the Gigafactory. Although it's technically possible to uncork any of the previous cars, they will not do it because they do not want to take any chances due to that sourced part. That must also be the reason for the one guy being notified that they are going to void his battery warranty if he keeps uncorking his Tesla himself.

This actually sounds right. Does anyone know the VIN range where they switched all cars/packs over to the new incolnel contactors?

You give me way too much credit. In looking it up though it appears that incolnel contactors got introduced in July 2015 for the 90D along with the pyro\software fuse. This setup was the first to be rated at 1300A, which I understand is the max current setting for uncorked. Even though we don't get there on 0-60, one would hit the 1300A current limit on the quarter mile. It is also the 1500W and higher current part as well. I think Jalopnik first reported on this.

The contactors are inside the battery pack right? That would be considerably more expensive to retrofit on the RWD if they didn't originally get it than just the fuse. Do they open the battery packs at the regional service centers? The pack electronics upgrade was originally $5,000 USD plus labor.

Last edited:
You give me way too much credit. In looking it up though it appears that incolnel contactors got introduced in July 2015 for the 90D along with the pyro\software fuse. This setup was the first to be rated at 1300A, which I understand is the max current setting for uncorked. Even though we don't get there on 0-60, one would hit the 1300A current limit on the quarter mile.

So do you have any thoughts on what the limiting factors may be for uncorking? My 75D was made 11/16, so I don't have the DU00 drive units. I don't know about contactors.

I got mine today, 2017 January build

Quite a bit of interest in the UK on this subject. Mine’s a 75D late December build, VIN 171XXX. Service centre were difficult to pin down when I contacted them a couple of months ago about this.

Can you share whether yours was done over the air or did you have to visit the Service Centre? Appreciate your input.

Reporting back. Got my 75D back from SC yest and thought it was faster. Just drove it again this morning and it is definitely faster/uncorked. Don't need to measure with power tools bc I definitely wasn't hitting the back of my seat like that before haha. 189xxx

Good luck to you all!

Congratulations!! Do you know if you have the newer DU00 drive units? What is your manufacture date? Thanks!

You give me way too much credit. In looking it up though it appears that incolnel contactors got introduced in July 2015 for the 90D along with the pyro\software fuse. This setup was the first to be rated at 1300A, which I understand is the max current setting for uncorked. Even though we don't get there on 0-60, one would hit the 1300A current limit on the quarter mile. It is also the 1500W and higher current part as well. I think Jalopnik first reported on this.

The contactors are inside the battery pack right? That would be considerably more expensive to retrofit on the RWD if they didn't originally get it than just the fuse. Do they open the battery packs at the regional service centers? The pack electronics upgrade was originally $5,000 USD plus labor.

Correct, contactors are inside the packs.

They do indeed do this service at the local service centers. They drop the pack, use a forklift to put it on risers to make it easier to work on, and then just unscrew/peel back the lid for the little part at the end that houses the pack connectors and contactors. It isn’t actually that labor intensive. They’ve been doing this as warranty work for people with failed contactors for a little while now, and everyone now gets the “performance” incolnel contactors.

Quite a bit of interest in the UK on this subject. Mine’s a 75D late December build, VIN 171XXX. Service centre were difficult to pin down when I contacted them a couple of months ago about this.

Can you share whether yours was done over the air or did you have to visit the Service Centre? Appreciate your input.

SC visit, and I didn’t even ask apparently a service bulletin went out Thursday to uncork all eligible cars.